Parents/children

navjit6

is it the childrens fault that they are so rude, and direspectful these days? Its obvious that in the world today the children are so ignorant and have attitude problems. But is it their fault. I dont think so. I think the blame should be on the parents. Because they do not bring up their kids well. They dont take enough care of them, do not see what they get up to, are not strict enough and do not communicate and spend enough time with them. Not all parents, but most. If you look at the majority of parents, i dont think they really realize the importance of being a parent and pretty much do as much as western parents do for their kids. And being children the kids (as they do not really know what is wrong and right at that time make mistakes and go with bad company). And after you fall into a habit, it is hard to get out of it. So i personally think that it is more a parents fault, not the kids.

I would agree with you. Generally parents from back home have little concept of quality time with family and work long hours. Also they fail to teach children core values which is why they often go nuts with the first bit of freedom they get (i.e. university).

as kids get more and more freedom, they are learning more from outside sources, tv, music, school, friends etc.... than parents.

think about that before you start passing the blame onto others.

Then any parents with a brain will try and inoculate their children from some of the negative stuff unless they don't have a clue about what goes on out there, which is not unusual.

offcourse they are, but if the parents do not teach the kids at a young age, the kids do what they want by looking at the tv, listening to friends. Not that there is anything wrong with those things, but it is easy to learn bad things from them. Some kids go on the computer and they think "mera munda/kuri computer te parde hai". Why do kids these days get drunk when there 15, go out and party around that same age. Its all because the parents do not know what the kids get upto or dont really care(they are getting into the western parents attitude). Its happening so fast, the world is changing and its easy to see that nearly everything is turning from bad to worse.

as kids get more and more freedom, they are learning more from outside sources, tv, music, school, friends etc.... than parents.

think about that before you start passing the blame onto others.

Then any parents with a brain will try and inoculate their children from some of the negative stuff unless they don't have a clue about what goes on out there, which is not unusual.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

I agree this has to do with the parents but a big but there are parents who have done everything possible for their kid and the kids still turns out to be sh*te. What do you do then? You may think I'm joking. I know someone from very close who was bought up the properly with all Sikh teachings in tact , kid who went to sikhi camps etc. and this kid screws it all up by taking a bottle of bacardi with his mates. Tell me what should a parent do now???

I agree this has to do with the parents but a big but there are parents who have done everything possible for their kid and the kids still turns out to be sh*te. What do you do then? You may think I'm joking. I know someone from very close who was bought up the properly with all Sikh teachings in tact , kid who went to sikhi camps etc. and this kid screws it all up by taking a bottle of bacardi with his mates. Tell me what should a parent do now???

When has faith been anything other than an internal matter (unless it is brainwashing). I think we, as the Panjabi community, should accept that some amongst us will be Sikh and adhere to the tenants of the faith whilst others will be more inline with old Panjabi cultural norms. That is what we have to accept on a family by family basis because this is reality.

In my own family and the majority I see back in the Panjab there is always a mixture of religious and less religious people. Often you will get two blood brothers of which one is amritdhari and one mona. So why Sikhs in the west who go bananas over this is puzzling, maybe they are living with an unrealistic model of the community.

Just because some kids don't follow rehat, as disappointing as it is, it doesn't necessarily make them bad people. I have seen the worst stuff done by people who have bought up religious, people who have kept kesh till their twenties then cut it and make up for all the years they couldn't drink and act a kunjer. Even worse are people who keep the look to keep their parents happy but live a TOTALLY different live outside their eyes!

Parents just need to be realistic and we all should acknowledge that even if religion is important to us, it doesn't mean others will share our views. Firstly and most foremost we need to ensure we produce morally upright people in the panth - everything will follow from that and having corrupt individuals with external Sikh looks is destroying the panth as much as hair cutting.

Accepting is the hardest of all in what you say Dal Singh101 Jeeo, so easily said but stigma attached is so great.

Our own Sikh community are the biggest threat to Sikhism and its heritage , no one else due to it being so immature.