Preethams Sweet Centre

sikh_youth_uk

whether we eat from restaurants.. our food comes from alcholics, adulterors, thieves, meat eaters etc.. etc... we get our food from the grocery stores... the people at the checkout counter quite possibly mite be kurehitis.. the people that hire them as well.. and the people that run the companies that grow the food and then supply to those stores probably are too..

bottom line... its a chain... n jus because we buy that food and then go home n cook it, i dun see it as much of a diff...

unless we're growin n eatin our own food... there's no tru way to be 'bibeki'...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whether we eat from restaurants.. our food comes from alcholics, adulterors, thieves, meat eaters etc.. etc... we get our food from the grocery stores... the people at the checkout counter quite possibly mite be kurehitis.. the people that hire them as well.. and the people that run the companies that grow the food and then supply to those stores probably are too..

bottom line... its a chain... n jus because we buy that food and then go home n cook it, i dun see it as much of a diff...

unless we're growin n eatin our own food... there's no tru way to be 'bibeki'...

You're quite right that an ultimate "bibek" standard is very high. I have read about Singhs who grew their own wheat, washed the grains, ground it themselves and then prepared degh/parshada with this while reciting bani and the people who ate it said it was very special and different.

At the same time however to say that if you can't do the maximum, you might as well not do anything at all is pretty ridiculous as well. Bibek is all about doing the best you can. I think it'd be a hard argument to make to suggest that a sub prepared at Subway is just as good and not "much of a diff..." than a meal prepared by a Gursikh reciting gurbani using raw ingredients s/he has purchased from a grocery store.

When you purchase something from the grocery store, you can clean it, wash it and prepare it. You can't do the same with a box of cookies. Also, the food prepared by a Gursikh is prepared while reciting gurbani. The other food is not.

My point is that while only Satguru jee is the true bibeki, we as Sikhs try our best to do as well as we can given our situation. Preparing food from raw, fresh ingredients in sarbloh while reciting gurbani is certainly a lot different and better than eating food prepared at restaurants by random people.

As for the Namdhari restaurant question: I also don't think we should be eating at restaurants, period. But speaking on a purely theoretical level, there is a big difference between a "gora" or a Hindu and a Namdhari or Nirankari or Sacha Sauda follower. I have no problem with the gora or Hindu. They have their own beliefs and they are free to do as they please. On the other hand, the Namdhari or Nirankari is actively saying My Satguru is just a book and saying a human is the "real" Satguru. They are challenging and even mocking the authority of Sri Guru Granth Sahib. I certainly don't want to deal with this sort of a person. But that's my own opinion and others are free to do as their conscience dictates.

You're quite right that an ultimate "bibek" standard is very high. I have read about Singhs who grew their own wheat, washed the grains, ground it themselves and then prepared degh/parshada with this while reciting bani and the people who ate it said it was very special and different.

At the same time however to say that if you can't do the maximum, you might as well not do anything at all is pretty ridiculous as well. Bibek is all about doing the best you can. I think it'd be a hard argument to make to suggest that a sub prepared at Subway is just as good and not "much of a diff..." than a meal prepared by a Gursikh reciting gurbani using raw ingredients s/he has purchased from a grocery store.

When you purchase something from the grocery store, you can clean it, wash it and prepare it. You can't do the same with a box of cookies. Also, the food prepared by a Gursikh is prepared while reciting gurbani. The other food is not.

My point is that while only Satguru jee is the true bibeki, we as Sikhs try our best to do as well as we can given our situation. Preparing food from raw, fresh ingredients in sarbloh while reciting gurbani is certainly a lot different and better than eating food prepared at restaurants by random people.

As for the Namdhari restaurant question: I also don't think we should be eating at restaurants, period. But speaking on a purely theoretical level, there is a big difference between a "gora" or a Hindu and a Namdhari or Nirankari or Sacha Sauda follower. I have no problem with the gora or Hindu. They have their own beliefs and they are free to do as they please. On the other hand, the Namdhari or Nirankari is actively saying My Satguru is just a book and saying a human is the "real" Satguru. They are challenging and even mocking the authority of Sri Guru Granth Sahib. I certainly don't want to deal with this sort of a person. But that's my own opinion and others are free to do as their conscience dictates.

:WW:

^^ good post... valid points...

but at the same time, hindu's do mock us... goray's do mock us... most people around us mock us, insult us, insult our beliefs, our guru etc... some more then others..

buh again, nah all gursikhs recite bani/simran while cookin food..

i'll add more when i have time..

yeh well u make the food urself or ensure that the people who have made ur food have been jappin naam or recitin baani.

but its alot better to make ur own food becuase then u know what u wer doin wen ur wer makin ur meal.

it also encourages u to do more baani whilst preparin the meal, most bibeki meals take time to preapre rather than shovin sum ready made food in the oven.

^^ good post... valid points...

but at the same time, hindu's do mock us... goray's do mock us... most people around us mock us, insult us, insult our beliefs, our guru etc... some more then others..

buh again, nah all gursikhs recite bani/simran while cookin food..

i'll add more when i have time..

If you know of someone that is making insulting comments about Guru Nanak or mocking Sikhi, the same thing applies. I personally do not want to deal with them and will not want to give them my business. But by default, a Hindu or Gora's ideology doesn't necessarily mean s/he disrpects Sikhi. Each individual is different and of course some of them may be nindaks of Sikhi but not all and we can't make any assumptions about them until we know them. However, If someone's religion by default is based on calling my Satguru false, then I think the situation is clearly different. Nirankaris and Namdharis say very openly that a 'book' cannot be a Satguru.

If a Gursikh is NOT reciting bani while preparing food, then that is not bibeki food at all. We're not talking about random hypothetical situations ("What if....") we're talking about the standard of bibeki food in which the preparer is a rehitvan Gursikh using simple/raw ingredients, preparing the food in sarbloh while reciting naam/gurbani. I don't think there can be any argument that this food is simply better than store-bought food.