Restaurants/bars & Khandas

Sarbloh

All the element symbols that are in the present day Khanda, have been used separately and in various combinations by Singhs in celebrations related to Khalsa Panth right from its beginning and then by the Khalsa Army then by the Sikh regiments as their crests/logos. These symbols were either used as a single element or in combination with other element symbols that are in the present day Khanda. The Singh Sabha and Khalsa Diwan also used these symbols in combination in one form or the other. The final form (as we see it today) became the crest of the Gurdwara Movement. Finally it was approved and adopted by the SGPC (when it came into existence) as the Standard of the Sikh Religion. And also was adopted as the logo of Nishaan Sahib. Hoisting of Nishaan Sahib (with Khanda logo) also became a symbol of institutions being related to Sikh religion. Nishaan Sahib hoisted on a gurdwara premises indicated that the gurdwara (where it was hoisted ) followed the Sikh Maryada and that it was not a dera of Mahants.

I believe the origins of the modern Khanda symbol as we know is as per what Mahan Singh has written about above. Regardless of the age of the Khanda symbol it is still agreed by the Panth as a symbol representing our Kaum (faith and spiritual nation) which we see in our Nishan Sahibs and other articles of faith.

The ownership and responsibility of the Khanda as a logo does fall on the Panth Khalsa as it presently stands. As accountable Sikhs we should take responsibility of the incorrect promotion of the Khanda symbol particularly so when it is used for corporate gain or non-Gurmat related actives. Otherwise all we carry on doing is tolerating a misrepresentation (which has now become a stereotype) of the drunk, dancing, unintelligent, overindulging Sardar community.

I would like to see some early examples of it use. Who put it together?

The earliest form of the Khanda can be traced back to Sri Hargobind ji.

I think he took two different flags and combined them. I think it was slightly different from what we have today, but the modern one was based on that.

If you want to see Sikh Battle standards, one of them is at Lichfield Catherdral.....captured at the time of the Anglo-Sikh wars by the Brits.

• 2 weeks later...

yes yes the present day khanda has only been around for about 70 odd years (I learnt that from this site!), we should use it like any other symbol/logo in the sense that it should only be used according to who owns it- Sikhi has it copyrighted, so go make up your own symbol and stop doin badnami 2 this 1!