Cut Hairs ?

Raven

meenaa aar masa(n)dheeaa monaa kurree jo maar hoe sikh varathan karehi a(n)th karaegaa khuaar ||6||

Meenaas, Masandhs, those with haircuts and those who kill their daughters; If a Sikh associates with them, he will not be united with the Lord and will suffer at the time of death..

I just read this on sikhi to the max i dont exactly agree with the cut hair part. Can someone explain this quote from Bhai Nand Laal i think. Is the meaning of cut hairs to something else?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rehit Maryada for Sikhs is not found in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, although there are many references to rehit in bani that support the rehit maryada, it is not a book of rules like other religious texts. The Sikh rehit Maryada is in oral form, passed down from the panj to abhilakhees for generations. Many of these rehits have been documented in Rehit Maryadas as well. The rule to not cut hair, however, did not start with Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, infact, it was the first rule that Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji told Bhai Mardana Ji, to never cut his hair. Nor is this a new concept, long hair has been known to have spiritual significance since the dawn of time, in almost all of the major world religions. Yoghis, Sadhus etc all had unshorn hair. In fact, to cut ones hair was an insult and way of defiling someone in public. If a woman was found to be unchaste, or if a man did something to receive punishment, to cut his or her hair of was worse than capital punishment. I am not familiar with Hindu texts, but I believe it was Rukmani's brother who had half his had shaved off because he tried to take his sister from Krishn for someone else. Also, Krishn himself his refered to as Keshav, because of his long beautiful hair.

Where does it say in SGGS ji whether we should cut our hair or not, can anybody tell me what page please.

thanks

dust of your feet

where also does it say in "SGGS" ji whether we should go to toilet or not - need the page number too

thanks tongue.gif

Does sikhi has to do something with going to toilet or not?

But sikhi definately has to do something with "keeping kesh".