~~ Little Mosque On The Prairie ~

N30S1NGH

Request to members who got the same thread on this topic closed earlier on: http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=31502

-Please stick to the topic. Leave your anti islamic thoughts/insecurities away from this topic, since this topic has nothing to do with promoting "Islam" but promote ideas to create healthy comedy show on religion like this sitcom.

- My intention of this topic, is to find your views, should sikhs direct this kind of peace of work. If yes, please list the ideas you liked from the show.

Canadian Broadcast Corp is been hosting comedy sitcom episodes of "Little mosque on the prairie" serial. This sitcom is been really highly rated in canada and getting slowly popular in USA not even that it has won humanitarian award

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2007/10/09...rd.html?ref=rss

I really wish if sikhi had something like this, it be totally hit. Creator of the show who is a muslim lady done a excellent job highlighting fine issues of stereotypes against muslims, have very unbias approach on many socio-culture issues and also targetted fanaticism/extermisim within Islam in form of comedy/sarcasm.

Anyway here are the links to read more about this comedy sitcom

http://www.cbc.ca/littlemosque/

Here are some of episodes to watch : http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...+on+the+Prairie

Please use this thread to discuss not just this serial but also if you are given chance to direct sitcom like this on sikhi ie- little gurdwara on rockies- lol just made that one up , how would it be different? what issues you will bring fwd to viewers and audience.

I think muslims have done excellent job on educating masses on islam in form of healthy comedy.

Your views please

That show really is a brilliant piece of work.

the best thing that comes from this show is that one can be a true follower of islam without being a terrorist. Baber is the spitting image of what west thinks is the islamic extemist. We come to see him as just a religious guy who means no harm to anyone, who only wishes to be a true follower of his faith.

This is the same issue that affects Sikhs(or, religious Sikhs at the least) in canada. Gursikhs get viewed as the Sikh version of "baber".

Show also doesn't downplay or hide certain aspects of islam just to paint a more "we're-just-like-you" image. It talks about male female seperation during prayer, polygamy, puberty issue with muslim girls, gay marriage, relationship with non-muslims, etc....all without shying away from telling what the islamic stance is. But done is such a brilliant way that makes the viewer respect the differences.

Thanks for your response singha, agree with pretty much what you said but one thing i always thought babar was shown to be extermist reason being- i dont know if you seen the episode where the girl falls for fireman who happen to be non-muslim and white. The girl finally didnt go out to date with him because her religion doesnt allow dating within non muslims. However, in episode when Baber actually found that he labelled him as infidel which means non beleiver in god.

I think the director of this sitcom serial try to show- rigid people who try to misinterpret islam much like baber who end up fanatic and logical/moderate islam like yaser/yaser's daughter and imam. I dont think i equate baber with gursikhs/gurmukhs of the panth, because views of baber in the show seem that he is still stuck at sharia level of dharam- black and white/ do's/donts whereas gursikhs of the panth already in hakikat level.

I think you're viewing Baber differently than me. The way i see it, the show tries to convey that both sides (moderate, orthodox) are correct in their interpretation/implementation of islam. I really believe that the creator of this program is trying to humanize those we would label fanatic muslims. I mean, sure we see Baber as the rigid, traditional dude, but end of the day, he's just trying to be a good muslim and good father. I think that's the image it's trying to show.