Using Family Names

Big_Tera

im not sure if this topics been doen before. but i was hinking of using my family name becuase its more personal. ie if you had a family name it would be more distinctive then say Singh.

most people these days use their family names. so i was wondering is it right that we might all use them. seeing as most people do.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it's an individual's choice but if you are Amritdhari Khalsa's I think you should use Kaur/Singh as surnames, or make it a part of your name like I use "myfirstname-Kaur surname". So the - is used to attach Kaur to my first name so when people, at work for example, call me it's firstname-Kaur and that's used for all my accounts, bills, mail and so on. Some people may disagree and say that I should eradicate the use of my surname entirely because it may come across that I am pushing "caste" into the picture, it just means I will need to go through the process of having my name changed formally to just firstname and Kaur as surname. But to be honest I like the method I use. blush.gif

personally i took out my family name n legally change my last name to singh.. i dun wanna be associated wit anybody, other then Guru Gobind Singh Jee... tha's my father, so tha's wha i use... i think Singh/Kaur is the best way to go...

Very well said!!

At first I didn't think too much about it, but when you said I dun wanna be associated wit anybody, other than guru saaheb, it made me think. So my new year resolution is to get that changed in the books. Thanks.

Ek Onkar Satnam

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

You can easily legally remove your surname by filling out a deed form at your local court or you can do it over the internet for example

http://www.deedpoll.org.uk/ and all the name changing deeds are accepted at all major banks and even the passport office so it is a valid legal name changing document. I took my surname off very soon after taking amrit and i had my online deed mailed to me within 3-4 days.

Gurfateh Ji

"I do not have the naam"

• 1 month later...

I can't see how using your family name is more distinctive than using Singh/Kaur although Kaur/Singh is used by more people than people who have your family name it can still never be distinct cos there are people out there who have the same family name as you.

Ek Onkar Satnam

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

You can easily legally remove your surname by filling out a deed form at your local court or you can do it over the internet for example

http://www.deedpoll.org.uk/ and all the name changing deeds are accepted at all major banks and even the passport office so it is a valid legal name changing document. I took my surname off very soon after taking amrit and i had my online deed mailed to me within 3-4 days.

Gurfateh Ji

"I do not have the naam"

EVERY SIKH HAS SINGH OR KAUR AS SECOND NAME. THAT MEANS ONLY YOUR FIRST NAME ON LEGAL DOCUMENTS CAN TELL YOU APART FROM OTHERS AND VERY PROBABLY MANY PEOPLE HAVE SAME FIRST NAME AS YOU AND SINGH/KAUR SO NAME CLASH AND HIGH CHANCE OF ID THEFT.

IF YOU HAVE THIRD NAME AFTER FIRST NAME & SINGH/KAUR LESS CHANCE OVERALL OF NAME CLASH ID THEFT.

IN CANADA AT IMMIGRATION YOU HAVE TO HAVE THIRD NAME OTHERWISE YOU DON'T GET ENTRY INTO CANADA SINGH AND KAUR BANNED BECAUSE TO COMMON YOU HAVE TO HAVE THIRD NAME AS WELL LEGALLY.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/200...mmigration.html

YOU HAVE TO BE STUPID NOT TO HAVE THIRD NAME/FAMILY NAME.