Thinking About Getting A New Laptop!

Heera Singh

My current one (IBM R51) is dying, slowly but surely! So i'm thinkin bout gettin a new one... something tha's sturdy, easy to use, not very expensive, and has a very good operating system. I use my laptop basically as my own personal computer, and also in some business stuff. I take this thing everywhere and do almost all my work on here.

My brother was sayin to get the MacBook as macs apparently have the most reliable operating system.. buh those things are also a lot more expensive...

also.. i dun kno much bout computers so y'all gonna have to explain to me in simple terms :lol:

wha do u all think??

and also.. if nebody has any 'links' on laptops, please lemme know...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really depends on the type of activities you conduct on your laptop as well. Do you just use if for basic word processing, emails, some photo work, scanning, browsing the internet -- basically not using a lot of programs which require intensive power from the laptop.

Apple computers - MacBooks are really good, if I had the money, I would seriously invest in one if I was in your position. They are worthwhile -- but you have to remember the price tag with it. But in the computer hardware world, you can get any specification of your choice but the only difference is that the windows hardware parts are mainly Chinese but with low quality compared to Apple's counter parts. This is why Apple is known so much for its hardware lasting a long time and hardly any problems as well.

You have to give a look into your pockets and see how much you can spend on a laptop and which specifications you are looking for as well. Generally, good laptops which can do most of the stuff and for a cheap price are the Acer TravelMate series. I have owned two of them in the past and really served me well. Ofcourse you might get a similar type or better for a cheaper price, but I doubt you will get support as well.

So to cut it down, what do you plan on doing with the laptop and where does your budget limit itself?

if you live in the U.S, then the day after thanksgiving got huge sales on everything nation wide. Labtops go for average price for good lab top that day is around $450-600 bucks.

other then that, dont get vista, it suckes.

if you want for gaming and got some extra cash get alienware

if you want for school and still go extra cash get a macbook

if you just want something for a lil bit of everything, get a sony or hp

yeh... nah too much of a fan of vista... dun really like the GUI...

le's see.. the use of this computer goes from word.. to business programs.. to games... to audio/video, to imaging, to burning cds... to editing/compsing audio and video files... to internet... to a bunch of other 'small' things... some programs require use of 'power'..

thing is.. i need this laptop to last me 3 or 4 years at least...

i don't have a 'set' price range.. buh like... i dun wanna spend too much, buh i also want a good solid laptop... hehe...

anybody have any links? and wha are price ranges for certain laptops?

Alienware are ranked as the best commercial gaming laptops, true. But if you know how to build what and which parts to get and tweak them, they can beat the Alienware anyday, but ofcourse lots of hardwork is put in. rolleyes.gif

I don't think someone should waste so much money for a laptop like the Alienware when you could personally build one yourself much much cheaper.