Can Airlines Company Select You For Special Screening?

nanosecond

During my travel back to India, I was selected by Airlines (Lufthansa) for special screening at US Airport. The agent told me that I was selected for special screening and that its was purely random. I highly doubt that. They put some red symbols ( SSSS) . When I was in security check line, The TSA official told me that I have been selected by airlines ( & not by TSA) for special screening. They then made me wait in a separate line .I was initially alone in that queue.Later on another person( he was a gora) also stood behind me.After some time a TSA guy came and asked me to pass thru metal detector. it did not beep. But I was patted down. Thegora behind me was also undergoing thru same procedure.

Then the TSA guy told me that he needs to pat my turban. He said I need not take it off and if I needed a private area? I replied in affirmative but asked him If I can pat down myself. He agreed. I patted down myself.Then he scrubbed my hands with a small paper/cloth and took it somewhere. Then he came and said that its fine. Then my whole hand baggage was checked and each electronic item was taken out & placed in some machine and screened.

Now its not that TSA didnt entertain me or misbehave me. And TSA told me from very beginning that it was Airline who was doing this and not TSA?But why did my Airline choose to screen me? I wasnt pleased with the agent of Lufthansa who was dealing with me from very beginning? She was an Afro American. I beleive it was she who selected me for additional screening rather than computer. Do I need to report this to Sikh Coalition?

Guest peacemaker
She was an Afro American. I beleive it was she who selected me for additional screening rather than computer. Do I need to report this to Sikh Coalition?

What does her being an "African American", I prefer this better, have anything to do with it? It seems you were treated fairly.

Veerjee, i think it perfectly normal as we cannot argue with random searching and another gora passenger was with you makes a good proof that anyone can come off the line.. Plus the important issue on sikhs is taking off the turban other stuff is okay to live with.. It's more likely african-american lady marked you off if she didn't treat you nicely.

During my travel back to India, I was selected by Airlines (Lufthansa) for special screening at US Airport. The agent told me that I was selected for special screening and that its was purely random. I highly doubt that. They put some red symbols ( SSSS) . When I was in security check line, The TSA official told me that I have been selected by airlines ( & not by TSA) for special screening. They then made me wait in a separate line .I was initially alone in that queue.Later on another person( he was a gora) also stood behind me.After some time a TSA guy came and asked me to pass thru metal detector. it did not beep. But I was patted down. Thegora behind me was also undergoing thru same procedure.

Then the TSA guy told me that he needs to pat my turban. He said I need not take it off and if I needed a private area? I replied in affirmative but asked him If I can pat down myself. He agreed. I patted down myself.Then he scrubbed my hands with a small paper/cloth and took it somewhere. Then he came and said that its fine. Then my whole hand baggage was checked and each electronic item was taken out & placed in some machine and screened.

Now its not that TSA didnt entertain me or misbehave me. And TSA told me from very beginning that it was Airline who was doing this and not TSA?But why did my Airline choose to screen me? I wasnt pleased with the agent of Lufthansa who was dealing with me from very beginning? She was an Afro American. I beleive it was she who selected me for additional screening rather than computer. Do I need to report this to Sikh Coalition?

its never random :lol: :@:@

Guest peacemaker
its never random :lol: :@:@

So are you saying they searched him because he had a turban and beard, correct? Did they violate his rights? The system does work, you know. I don't think they're against one particular group. They're just trying to make things as safe as they can, but yeah, it's basically judging someone based on the way they look and if you don't fit into a particular mold, then they probably will pull you to the side.

If they follow the law and respect your rights, there's not much you can do about it after the fact.

QUOTE(nanosecond @ Nov 17 2007, 07:56 AM)

She was an Afro American. I beleive it was she who selected me for additional screening rather than computer. Do I need to report this to Sikh Coalition?

What does her being an "African American", I prefer this better, have anything to do with it? It seems you were treated fairly.

Well she also apparently changed my seat ( which I had selected one day before) to the last seat in the plane.