Family

Guest Confused_kaur

Guest Confused_kaur

Fateh ji

Basicly im really into sikhi but i know my family are... gna be abit weird if i come home oneday with a dastaar. Their are no singhanis in my family. The only amrtiari singh is my tia-ji. I duno, its just abit weird cuz i feel they would look at me .. n be like...OMG wot is she doin. Im only 15 buh some how i know the whole issue of :how r u gna get married: is gna appear.

Also i feel like i no about sikhi but i dont have any friends who are singhanis or any firends in the same position as me. No1 really understands where im coming from.

HELP!

Fateh ji

I think it really depends on your family. No one knows them better than you but even you can be surprised.

I would have thought the best thing would be to gradually increase your Sikhi rehat so that your family become more aware that you're following the path of Sikhi.

Best thing would be to chat to some of the bibian here who may have gone through the same thing.

Guest peacemaker

Well, I'm not accustom to seeing Kaurs in dastars much either. I rarely see any of them in person, but have talked to a lot and seen many pictures of them online. They are kind of an enigma to me. I guess when I see any Kaur wearing a dastar I automatically assume that they have a great love of sikhi, so I don't understand why your family would have a problem with it.

However, I do realize that, initially, any kind of adjustment may be difficult at first, but as they say, time makes all things possible. Good luck!

I myself wear a dastaar myself and in my community theres not alot of girls who wear dastaar like to tell you the truth I am the only teenager who actually wears a dastaar at my gurudwara!!

So don't worry I say just go ahead and do it!! If you start it then you will bring up the hopes of other girls around you who want to wear a dastaar!!

Gurus kirpa is always with you!!! :lol:

It takes a while for parents to get used to your new look (trust me I know it...LOL). Atleast you are following your parents' religion, guess who wasn't (6) . Give them time, and hold firm to your Sikhi and Gurujee's charan. My problem was that I would get hit by krodh and hankaar if someone said something to me, so I'd advice you to keep them at bay even if they hit you each time you hear unpleasant words. When faced with family opposition, you could either fall prey and give in, or become stubborn out of krodh and hankaar, whereas you are supposed to be firm out of your love for Gurujee. In a way it is being "stubborn", but not out of krodh or hankaar, but pyaar for Gurujee. And like others said, do Ardas! Chaupai Sahib helps tons! Recite as many times a day as possible!