Listening-even The Blind Find The Path

OhTwadi

In the past I have spent some time thinking about this tuk a little bit.

suixAY AMDy pwvih rwhu ]

suniai, a(n)dhhae paavehi raahu ||

Listening-even the blind find the Path.

Let's try to break it down.

Guru sahib has used the shabad suixAY

When we have a conversation with someone and if the person listening is not paying attention, we consider it quite rude and get offended. In fact, if the person is not listening it is the same as not having a conversation at all. So, when patshaha dey patsha guru sahib is speaking, we should make all efforts to listen attentivly to the best of our ability

Also, what does Guru Sahib mean by suixAY ? In the same bani, Japji Sahib, guru sahib tells us exactly what they mean by this:

gwvIAY suxIAY min rKIAY Bwau ]

gaaveeai suneeai, man rakheeai bhaao ||

Sing, and listen, and let your mind be filled with love.

[sing and listen. How? by keeping love for waheguru in your heart. Thats the only condition] Here, there is no mention of any raag, music etc...

duKu prhir suKu Gir lY jwie ]

dhukh parehar, sukh ghar lai jaae ||

Your pain shall be sent far away, and peace shall come to your home.

So, by listening with love, even the blind find the way. But, way to what? Way to Waheguru of course

But here's lies a problem. If we look at this world, a person who has been given the gift of functional eyes cannot go anywhere by themselves, especially to an un-familiar place. The only way is if someone who has functional eyes holds their hand and leads the way. In the spiritual world, almost everyone is blind, guru sahib has eyes (dib dhristee) and if a Sikh wishes to goto his/her ultimate destination the only way is to find satguru jee who will hold our hand and walk with us the entire way.

Another problem arises here. A sujakha (one with eyes) can only lead the blind if blind wants to go. If someone wants to take me to my house from a prison but I keep refusing, it's no one's fault but my own. Bhagat Kabeer Jee has addressed this in a very straight forward way:

kbIr swcw siqguru ikAw krY jau isKw mih cUk ]

kabeer, saachaa sathigur kiaa karai, jo sikhaa mehi chook ||

Kabeer, what can the True Guru do, when His Sikhs are at fault?

AMDy eyk n lwgeI ijau bWsu bjweIAY PUk ]158]

a(n)dhhae eaek n laagee, jio baa(n)s bajaaeeai fook ||158||

The blind do not take in any of His Teachings; it is as useless as blowing into bamboo. ||158||

To wrap things up (I tend to rant a lot), by listening to updesh of guru sahib with love, spiritually blind people are led to waheguru by guru sahib themself.

bhul chuk maaf, guru rakha

brilliant, well worth the read!! :WW:

just wondering,

how do you know whether bhau is being referred to as fear or love? (the way its spelt?)

also in the very last tuk you posted, why has bamboo been used as a comparison?? is it because it doesnt make any sound when u blow into it?

thanks

vaheguru jee ka khalsa vaheguru jee kee fateh

how do you know whether bhau is being referred to as fear or love? (the way its spelt?)
yes. Take a look at this tuk

nwnk ijn@ min Bau iqn@w min Bwau ]2]

naanak jinh man bho thinhaa man bhaao ||2||

O Nanak, those whose minds are filled with the Fear of God, have the love of God in their minds as well. ||2||

Bau = fear

Bwau = love

also in the very last tuk you posted, why has bamboo been used as a comparison?? is it because it doesnt make any sound when u blow into it?
YEP, bamboo has holes in it, so no matter how hard you blow, it wont make a sound

In the past I have spent some time thinking about this tuk a little bit.

suixAY AMDy pwvih rwhu ]

suniai, a(n)dhhae paavehi raahu ||

Listening-even the blind find the Path.

Let's try to break it down.

Guru sahib has used the shabad suixAY

When we have a conversation with someone and if the person listening is not paying attention, we consider it quite rude and get offended. In fact, if the person is not listening it is the same as not having a conversation at all. So, when patshaha dey patsha guru sahib is speaking, we should make all efforts to listen attentivly to the best of our ability

Also, what does Guru Sahib mean by suixAY ? In the same bani, Japji Sahib, guru sahib tells us exactly what they mean by this:

gwvIAY suxIAY min rKIAY Bwau ]

gaaveeai suneeai, man rakheeai bhaao ||

Sing, and listen, and let your mind be filled with love.

[sing and listen. How? by keeping love for waheguru in your heart. Thats the only condition] Here, there is no mention of any raag, music etc...

duKu prhir suKu Gir lY jwie ]

dhukh parehar, sukh ghar lai jaae ||

Your pain shall be sent far away, and peace shall come to your home.

So, by listening with love, even the blind find the way. But, way to what? Way to Waheguru of course

But here's lies a problem. If we look at this world, a person who has been given the gift of functional eyes cannot go anywhere by themselves, especially to an un-familiar place. The only way is if someone who has functional eyes holds their hand and leads the way. In the spiritual world, almost everyone is blind, guru sahib has eyes (dib dhristee) and if a Sikh wishes to goto his/her ultimate destination the only way is to find satguru jee who will hold our hand and walk with us the entire way.

Another problem arises here. A sujakha (one with eyes) can only lead the blind if blind wants to go. If someone wants to take me to my house from a prison but I keep refusing, it's no one's fault but my own. Bhagat Kabeer Jee has addressed this in a very straight forward way:

kbIr swcw siqguru ikAw krY jau isKw mih cUk ]

kabeer, saachaa sathigur kiaa karai, jo sikhaa mehi chook ||

Kabeer, what can the True Guru do, when His Sikhs are at fault?

AMDy eyk n lwgeI ijau bWsu bjweIAY PUk ]158]

a(n)dhhae eaek n laagee, jio baa(n)s bajaaeeai fook ||158||

The blind do not take in any of His Teachings; it is as useless as blowing into bamboo. ||158||

To wrap things up (I tend to rant a lot), by listening to updesh of guru sahib with love, spiritually blind people are led to waheguru by guru sahib themself.

bhul chuk maaf, guru rakha

Nice post! Great work!

• 2 months later...

I presume that by listening to 'naam' the blind person gets His inner not physical eyes opened and he can also walk the spiritual path as is required by sikhi. It should be the logical way of interpreting it.

May be we have other opinion as well.Kindly post as to what do you think.