When Does The Soul Enter The Embryo/foetus

kh@ls@

I'm currently doing a bit of light kantian ethics at college and how kants theories can be applied today on issues like abortion.

It got me thinking when do we as Sikhs believe the soul enters the embryo/foetus. Is it at conception like Christians?

Sorry if this has been asked before I did do a search but couldn't find anything

The Siri Guru Granth Sahib does not say this specifically, but Siri Singh Sahib Bhai Sahib Harbhajan Singh Khalsa , who's teachings are all based on the Truths of the Siri Guru Granth Sahib ji, teaches us about the soul entering the body in the 120th day from conception.

This knowledge of when the soul enters the body is very ancient. It appears in the Vedas and the Shastras and more recently, in the Koran as well.

I don't know if the figure is true, so u may not wanna trust it without proof. :s

Bhul Chuk Maafi blush.gif

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Depends on what you define as a soul... If God is in everything and we are just a fraction of God (ie: a soul) then everything has one, right from a single cell to a rock or an apple pie (I'm hungry).

I think you should think of a scientific viewpoint on abortion... For example, we (generally) say that we should not cause pain to another individual for our own pleasure, that includes eating meat (if you want to debate that, go elsewhere, thats not the point). So based on that I like to think that I wont eat, or kill for that matter, anything with a central nervous system, as that can feel pain.

In the fetus, the first evidence of a functional nervous system (reflexes) begin to occur at about 8 1/2 weeks, before that the child is literally a pile of cells without any ability to feel pain or react to nervous stimuli. So maybe your answer should be maybe... before 8 1/2 weeks is ok, beyond that its not.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

ਦਸੀ ਮਾਸੀ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਬਾਲਕ ਜਨਮੁ ਲੀਆ

Ḏasī māsī hukam bālak janam lī­ā.

In the tenth month, by the Lord's Order, the baby has been born.

ਦਸਵੇਂ ਮਹੀਨੇ ਵਿੱਚ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦੇ ਫਰਮਾਨ ਦੁਆਰਾ ਬਾਲ ਪੈਦਾ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ।

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.g...amp;p=1&k=0

Normal gestation period of Human is 280 days in case of normal pregnancy which exactly comes out to be 9 months and 7 days. Child therefore should be born in the 10 month ( after completion of 9 month)

DNA (genes...see http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/units/basics/tour/) formed on conception determined by your pass karma(laykha) etc etc therefore soul is there at conception.