My Approach To The Parents Of A Sikh Girl

JSingh

I wrote the following to the Sikhnet Youth Forum:

Dear Sikhnet Moderato(s),

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Sikhnet Youth Forum is one of the major sources where the Sikh youth turns to when they need help and have any Sikhi related question or any problem in general. And the moderators are doing a wonderful job. I have gained a great deal of information and found answers to many of my questions here and therefore, I recommended this forum to most of my friends. But today I am not going to ask a question, but trying to point out something that was not right according to Sikhi.

On the link below, respected DKK Ji made the following statement while replying to the question by a muslim guy who wanted to marry a Sikh girl: “Keep your wits about you and perhaps don't be afraid to ask them [girl’s parents] where it is written in Sikh scripture that a Sikh cannot marry a Muslim.” http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/youth.nsf/3...re,dkk,marriage

As every Sikh can see, this is a very misleading statement. There is a plenty of historical evidence and rehatnamas that clearly state that a Sikh cannot marry a non-Sikh.

Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji said in his bachan 38 of 52 bachans that “Do not give your daughter’s hand to a clean-shaven”, and while explaining this bachan, Guru Ji further said, “Give her hand in a house where Akal Purukh’s Sikhi exist, where the household is not in debt, is of a good nature, is disciplined and knowledgable.” Same applies t

o the man too.

Other Rehatnamas also state that Sikh di roti beti di sanjh Sikh naal.

Futhter if we want to look at historical evidence, I think the Sakhi of Mahararaja Ranjit Singh is enough to point that a Sikh is not allowed to marry a non-sikh:

When Maharaja Ranjit Singh married to a Muslim woman, named Moran of Lahore, Akali Phula Singh, as he was the Jathedar of Akal Takth declared that Maharaja Ranjit Singh is not a Sikh anymore and is a Tankhaiya which means out of Sikhism. He ordered the defendant to be at Golden Temple before the sangat. Maharaja Ranjit Singh came and admitted that he had made a mistake. Akali Phula Singh ordered him 50 lashes for Maharaja Ranjit Singh right there. Ranjit Singh took off his shirt and bowed down to receive his punishment, at such Akali Phula Singh asked the Sadh Sangat to forgive the Maharaja who has bowed down in front of the Sadh Sangat for this mistake. And thus Maharaja was pardoned, but not before he promised that he will not marry again.

There is alot to learn from the above incidence. A Sikh is never allowed to marry a non-Sikh throughout the Sikh History.

As Sikhs, we have to follow the rehat, because Guru Gobind Singh Ji said:

Rehat Pyari Mujh Ko Sikh Pyara Nahi

Rehni Rahe Soi Sikh Mera, O Sahib Me Uska Chera

Rehat Bina Nahi Sikh Akhawe Rehat Bina Dar Chotan Khawe

Rehat Bina Sukh Kabhoon Naa Lahe, Taan Te Rehat Su Drid Kar Rahe

At the end this is my humble request that please keep up good work, but at the same time, be more careful while responding to these kinds of questions because Sikh youth could get eaily mislead by such replies. One of the wonderful replies given on this topic was by SP at the link below, not because I agree with it, but because it corresponds to Sikh Beliefs:

http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/youth.n

sf/3...soul,two,bodies

Please forgive me if I have offended anyone and my intention was not to hurt anyone, but to point out something that was not right in the light of Sikhi.

bhul chuk di khima...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Awesome Jasswant singha :@ a very good move dude

When Maharaja Ranjit Singh married to a Muslim woman, named Moran of Lahore, Akali Phula Singh, as he was the Jathedar of Akal Takth declared that Maharaja Ranjit Singh is not a Sikh anymore and is a Tankhaiya which means out of Sikhism. He ordered the defendant to be at Golden Temple before the sangat. Maharaja Ranjit Singh came and admitted that he had made a mistake. Akali Phula Singh ordered him 50 lashes for Maharaja Ranjit Singh right there. Ranjit Singh took off his shirt and bowed down to receive his punishment, at such Akali Phula Singh asked the Sadh Sangat to forgive the Maharaja who has bowed down in front of the Sadh Sangat for this mistake. And thus Maharaja was pardoned, but not before he promised that he will not marry again.

Is that what happened?? i heard that mah. ranjit did get those lashes and it was cauz after coming from battle he and his soldiers went to see the nach of girls.. something like that .. i may be wrong :)