[salok] Bhagat Kabeer Jeo Kae

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

ਕਬੀਰ ਬੈਦੁ ਕਹੈ ਹਉ ਹੀ ਭਲਾ ਦਾਰੂ ਮੇਰੈ ਵਸਿ ॥

Kabīr baiḏ kahai ha­o hī bẖalā ḏārū mėrai vas.

Kabeer, the physician says that he alone is good, and all the medicine is under his control.

ਇਹ ਤਉ ਬਸਤੁ ਗੁਪਾਲ ਕੀ ਜਬ ਭਾਵੈ ਲੇਇ ਖਸਿ ॥੭੯॥

Ih ṯa­o basaṯ gupāl kī jab bẖāvai lė­ė kẖas.

But these things belong to the Lord; He takes them away whenever He wishes.

ਬੈਦੁ = doctor; ਕਹੈ = says; ਭਲਾ = good, clever; ਦਾਰੂ = medicine; ਮੇਰੈ = my; ਵਸਿ = control; ਬਸਤੁ = these things; ਗੁਪਾਲ = sustainer of the world, Guru Ji; ਜਬ = whenever; ਭਾਵੈ = it pleases (whenever it pleases) ਲੇਇ ਖਸਿ = to take away.

Here Bhagat Kabeer Ji uses the metaphor of a proud doctor to help us understand the all-encompassing nature of Guru Saheb's Hukam. Even though the doctor may have studied for many years, and saves many people from illness with various medicines and potions, Guru Saheb's Hukam is above all this. Every one of us has already been assigned a 'time of death', and no matter how hard we try to avoid that time it can't be done. We're lucky that Gurbani tells us this plainly so that we don't waste time worrying about it. If Guru Saheb has already decided that the doctor's patient is to die, (e.g. from terminal cancer, which has been around for a very very long time) then there is a finite limit to what humans can do to prolong life and prevent death.

snoopy-doctor_ava.gif

It's incredible to think that this could be the last time I type on a computer because I could be knocked down by a bus as soon as I step out of the building. Or that I could catch deadly MRSA when I step out of this room. Or maybe I already have it. Stay away people tongue.gif . Anyways the point is that we're so forgetful when it comes to remembering Guru Saheb's Hukam and how little time we have left. Some will dwell so much on the past that they forget the present and others will dwell to much on the future that they forget to live life as if ever moment were the last. In fact this has become so embedded within our minds that now it's a tabboo in mainstream society to speak of death, and we are programmed by people like teachers and parents to prepare for a long and happy future life. It's good to be prepared. But it's essential to be prepared for the moment we go back to Guru Ji. If possible we should aim to get there before death has a chance to reach us. But considering we don't know when that will be, we better get a move on.

denaesbus.gif

The integral truth with remain no matter how many times we forget it - ਇਹ ਤਉ ਬਸਤੁ ਗੁਪਾਲ ਕੀ ਜਬ ਭਾਵੈ ਲੇਇ ਖਸਿ . Everything belongs to our King, and can be taken away at His pleasure, at any moment. Appreciate what you have now - too often we only realise the value of Guru Ji's gifts once it's too late, and then are left to wallow/regret in our pathetic-ness (word?). In the same way appreciate each breath you're taking as you read this and all the ones you'll take after you read it. Can't go wrong then.

Please correct any mistakes : ) as always.

~l~

It is true that death is a phenomenon for the continuity of the life. However, taliking every time Of death is not going to do anygood as well. It is logocal that the subject should not be touched but should be accepted. If we daily talk of this and we have to spend ,say, ten more years we shall only be wasting our time and ,probably, even not do simran properly. These kind of topics should be touched in the form of essays.

May be I am wrong. But I suggested that I felt.

If I visit this site and read this topic say once a week , I am not likely to be in good frame of mind to do my work.

Regards to all.

A very nice post indeed. Just to touch upon one or two points you made:

But it's essential to be prepared for the moment we go back to Guru Ji. If possible we should aim to get there before death has a chance to reach us.

This is so true, we first have to goto that place where we are going to goto after death. It is a misconception that if one, for example, has led a good life they are going to heaven/saach khand etc etc. Gurbani states otherwise, gurbani says the ones who haven't reached naam, anhad shabad, sehaj dhunn, sacha shabad, naad, toor etc (all names gurbani uses to refer to naam) one will have coming and going aka 'reincarnation': JINNI GURMUKH NAAM NAAH BUJOYAH MAAR JAAMAI AAVO JAI

Some believe that it takes many lifetimes to reach god but again gurbani clears this doubt: PAE PRAAPT MANUKH DI HOORAI GOBIND MILN KEE EHHO TERI BAARIA

Besoft's post raised some interesting points/questions in my mind, which I'm not going to answer, but might be useful for us all to think about.

1) Mere talking doesn't equate to acceptance, but hopefully it will lead us along the path to acceptance.

2) Does talking about death = remembering? Is remembering death useful? See what Gurbani says.

3) What does simran mean? What does it involve? Are there different types? Does it mean saying waheguruwaheguru or can it be remembrance/meditation too?

4) Does talk of death distract us from our worldly duties? Should it? How do we balance our lives with simran?

5) Does reading Bhagat Kabeer Ji's Saloks mess up our frame of mind? Vaheguru.

Thank you besoft for making me think about these things.

3) What does simran mean? What does it involve? Are there different types? Does it mean saying waheguruwaheguru or can it be remembrance/meditation too?

What is simran as per gurbani, Gurbani says:

Simar Simar Simar Gur Apna Soeya Munn Jigai

Our guru is SHABAD GURU, the shabad guru gurbani talks about is 'vaheguru'

The different types of simran are SAAS SAAS SIMRAN, SAAS GIRAAS SIMRAN, ROM ROM SIMRAN each done with a jugti as per gurbani.

Where does simran take u? Well first it awakens the mind and where does it awaken the mind:

PINNI RAHNARAI CHAAMKAAN THARA, JAAGAI SANT JAANA MERA RAAM PYARA

now search gurbani to see where sant (mind) is avasta

I personally feel strongly that if people remembered death all the time, this world would be heaven, because then no one would say or do the smallest thing to hurt/offend anyone.

Does talking about death = remembering? Is remembering death useful?
I think yes. Like Maskeen jee explains the pankti from Sri Sukhmani Sahib: "saavdhaan ekaagar cheet", he says do your Nitnem thinking that the snake of death is over your head. Then your mind will never waiver.
Does talk of death distract us from our worldly duties?
Depends on one's spiritual avastha. Those who are more materialistic will withdraw from their daily routine once they are exposed to the horror of death. Others who have a spiritual side to their personality will take it as an opportunity to remind themselves of the inevitable.
Does reading Bhagat Kabeer Ji's Saloks mess up our frame of mind?
Kabit jee's Bani is not very easy to understand. Its is very deep and has many secrets of both life and death.

Another shabad that comes to mind, and which takes us to the next step of explaination is...

Bhagat Trilochan Ji in Raag Gujri on Ang 526

gUjrI ]

goojaree ||

Goojaree:

AMiq kwil jo lCmI ismrY AYsI icMqw mih jy mrY ]

a(n)th kaal jo lashhamee simarai aisee chi(n)thaa mehi jae marai ||

At the very last moment, one who thinks of wealth, and dies in such thoughts,

srp join vil vil AauqrY ]1]

sarap jon val val aoutharai ||1||

shall be reincarnated over and over again, in the form of serpents. ||1||

ArI bweI goibd nwmu miq bIsrY ] rhwau ]

aree baaee gobidh naam math beesarai || rehaao ||

O sister, do not forget the Name of the Lord of the Universe. ||Pause||

AMiq kwil jo iesqRI ismrY AYsI icMqw mih jy mrY ]

a(n)th kaal jo eisathree simarai aisee chi(n)thaa mehi jae marai ||

At the very last moment, he who thinks of women, and dies in such thoughts,

bysvw join vil vil AauqrY ]2]

baesavaa jon val val aoutharai ||2||

shall be reincarnated over and over again as a prostitute. ||2||

AMiq kwil jo liVky ismrY AYsI icMqw mih jy mrY ]

a(n)th kaal jo larrikae simarai aisee chi(n)thaa mehi jae marai ||

At the very last moment, one who thinks of his children, and dies in such thoughts,

sUkr join vil vil AauqrY ]3]

sookar jon val val aoutharai ||3||

shall be reincarnated over and over again as a pig. ||3||

AMiq kwil jo mMdr ismrY AYsI icMqw mih jy mrY ]

a(n)th kaal jo ma(n)dhar simarai aisee chi(n)thaa mehi jae marai ||

At the very last moment, one who thinks of mansions, and dies in such thoughts,

pRyq join vil vil AauqrY ]4]

praeth jon val val aoutharai ||4||

shall be reincarnated over and over again as a goblin. ||4||

AMiq kwil nwrwiexu ismrY AYsI icMqw mih jy mrY ]

a(n)th kaal naaraaein simarai aisee chi(n)thaa mehi jae marai ||

At the very last moment, one who thinks of the Lord, and dies in such thoughts,

bdiq iqlocnu qy nr mukqw pIqMbru vw ky irdY bsY ]5]2]

badhath thilochan thae nar mukathaa peetha(n)bar vaa kae ridhai basai ||5||2||

says Trilochan, that man shall be liberated; the Lord shall abide in his heart. ||5||2||

Here Bhagat Trilochan jee is emphasizing the importance of the last moment. If someone makes an effort to remember Akal Purakh every moment, he/she has a bright chance of remembering Akal Purakh at his/her last moment as well. People ask "Why remember God with every breath?" This shabad is the answer, because you don't know which breath is your last one.

Dear Mehtab ji,

Thanks for Gurvaak jeo,.

However, there is difference in the thoughts that may actually come at the point of death. The points that are likely to come will vary depending upon the mess that the mind contains. However, if one has GOd in mind the chances are that the thought of GOD will be in the mind and the dying person would have accepted the Hukum or the will of the lord.

This may require life time of experience. There are two options as suggested by this post.

Always remember Death or Always keep jaap or simran, I do not think there is much difference..At one point all these converge. Hence DEath should be at the background. It is a fact. Dwelling upon death will not enable the beginners to do anything in a nice manner. In my opinion there are chances that some weak minded may even get sub dued or even depressed,

But then things may not change with strong willed persons, a gift from God.

This is the way I think.

Regards to all

This has become so embedded within our minds that now it's a tabboo in mainstream society to speak of death,

Because many people can't handle it, they think it's morbid, saddening and they fear the unknown. It's probably hard and weird at first. So what you said appears to be true:

Dwelling upon death will not enable the beginners to do anything in a nice manner. In my opinion there are chances that some weak minded may even get sub dued or even depressed,

But also there are plenty of other ways to remember Guru Saheb, e.g. thanking Him for his gifts, the air in our lungs, the beating of our heart, the friends we have, the food we eat etc. It just so happens that this Salok talks about Hukam/death - but if you look through the previous 78 Saloks you'll find ones which focus on different aspects of life. And the Sikh Sakhian section will provide you with a lot of inspiration too.

: )