Never Understood

anom7

one thing ive never understood

in japji sahib ull see that guru je refers to hukam int he begiinning, how eveerything is controlled by hukam

that no one can escape it

and evertyone is in it

and hukam controls everythings

but then why does guru je also say we get what we derseve through our actions?

i never got that

anyone kno

this isnt only in japji sahib

its all through the guru granth shaib je, these two themes

but they seem contradicatory

im sure theyres a meaning to it, im no brahm giani

but does anyone kno

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This confused me as well not so long ago. If anything seeemingly good or bad happens in life I get the answer 'it's Hukam'. WHen I ask what Hukam is I get 'it means that Guru Ji has willed this to happen.' At one point we are told that our actions are our own...OUR responsibility at the End. But then if everything happens according to Hukam is it really in our control? Is an action MEANT to happen or can it be avoided? When my dad says to me that his drinking is a result of Hukam I find it hard to believe but a Granthi will tell me that me trying to follow Sikhi is Hukam. Where does Hukam and Karma tie into eachother?

Waheguru already knows what will happen in 10 years time then why do we go through this 'test' is it really a test if Guru Ji already knows the outcome?

I'd also like someone with a bit of Gyaan to answer please....

hukmI sBy aUpjih hukmI kwr kmwih ]

hukamee sabhae oopajehi hukamee kaar kamaahi ||

By the Hukam of His Command, all are created. By His Command, actions are performed.

karam influences our actions and what we do.

for example, we can choose to not obey guru ji... that is our karam. us having karam is also god's play.

if god controls everyones actions, then everyone is following gurus way, and is not manmukh at all.. its about making right choices.

I think the real answer is god controls everything, including karam. if we suffer due to karam, he is controlling that to happen to us, his givng us karam is his will... then when we no longer have our karam, by grace of guru ji, we are still subject to his command...

karam itself is hukam of gur ji!!

just my insight.... forgive if it does not make sense.. please meditate and pray to guruji for guidance to understand yourselves

One has to remove the filter of convenience, meaning one calls things as Hukam when it suits him/her and calls it something else on other occassions. You'd have to accept everything A to Z as Hukam. Being a Sikh is about living life as though you are flying at a height of 12,000 feet but can't see who is holding you. All you got is faith, and you are not concerned if you continue to fly or come crashing down and burst into pieces. It is next to impossible, which is why its called "khandeyoN tikhee vaalooN nikkee".

ok heres the thing

in gurbani sometimes it says it is vaheguru himself who makes one do bhagthi

and makes one do paap

it is all his play

ok so in the scenario

a guy drinks to much

is is vaheguru je who is casusing this , as hukam?

or is it the perosns own will?

and if its own will, then y does guru je say that it is vaheguru je causes every little thing?

Hukam is happening all the time, delicately life continues regardless of any interference. Someone dies, someone is born as surly the morning comes so does the night this is all life, all Hukam all indirectly happening. If there is a Birth close to you, say you have child or someone close dies, this is also Hukam but this time it is more obvious more close so you are more aware of it, feel it more, but this is also Hukam it is happening all the time.

Karma is different. You are born your physical make up the way you look etc is influenced by the physical encryption by your parents. But those tendencies or flavours that your Mother parent has is generally what attracts the Karmic being to that particular womb. For us and most Humans this is done unconsciously however it is different for Spiritual beings, they have conscious ability to take birth where and when, but even here sometimes things can go wrong. The Karmic makeup is very much the real you, this part of what you consider you, is totally your true nature your true being, we could say “your Attma” your “Pranic Being” this the real you is made up of different types of Karmic encryption influences this fundamentally all you are.

The way Karma influences your life is different for every being in regards to spiritual growth, for that is what we are talking about here. The Karmic influence here for example, you get you to certain points in life where you have to make a conscious decision. An example would be in your life you come across the True Guru, the Gurus Hukam here is direct for example in the form of Rehit as one option. Here the person has to make a conscious choice which path? This one or that one? Here you karmic tendencies can be a blessing or a burden.

This is a very very simplified and short way to express something that can be complex, however in another debate I recall someone mocking and saying “if you miss the bus this is bad karma!” no, not really, that’s just tough luck but there will be another one along soon, but if you miss the opportunity to meet the true Guru it could be lifetimes before you come across another one, if at all.