Sikh Armour

Chakar are worn around the Dumalla to protect the head and use as weapons in close combat situations.

Chakars are worn around the neck to make sword strikes to the neck harder.

A 4 peice armour chest plate called a Chaaraina (4 mirrors) is worn, 2 peices protect the breast and back area, the other 2 are worn on the sides under the arms.

Kavich (chainmail) is worn on the top part of the body as protection from sword cuts.

Dastana / Bazubands (arm guards) are worn on the forearms.

Dahl (small Buckler sheild) and Sipar (Large Sheilds) were also carried to block and parry strikes.

Great question ! - gives me the opportunity to ask 'Gurbar Akaal' Bhai Sahib a question I've been wanting to ask for a while.

If you look at these pictures you will see the Nihang Singh Sahibs are wearing chain mail in their Dastaars - I believe it is called a 'Sanjoi' (????)

17741082339b228e8b78bcf1.jpg

553212390db01206cetz0.jpg

mahaakaalin5.jpg

I have a friend at work who is into 'War Re- enactment' - re enacting battles with full armour etc.

- He has got loads of the 'split washers' needed to make chainmail. I want to make a 'Sanjoi'.

However I need to know what shape it is - Is it a 'chevron' or V shaped flat piece of mail or is it like a 'hood' - that covers the top of the head as well .

is it a bit like a Khula helmet like 'Aftaab Sahib' is wearing ( Aftaab is a repro set of armour- engraved with verses from the Koran - given to me by the wife as a birthday present - naming , making the model and dressing him up was a joint 'Blue Peter' moment !) heres a pic ;

dsc03579np8.jpg

How is it attached - is it just placed on the dastar and kept in place with tora ?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - it will give me and the wife another 'Blue Peter' project to do !!!!

Cheers !

most singhs just had their weapons and tha was it, like thier kirpana or w.e

we werent the best equppied fauj, tha wud be the mughals and our enemies

wwe were almost neevr better equpied or had more numbers

but we were deintley the bravest and fiercest army every single time in battle

Freed, there is no one set design as each warrior would make or steal one that suits him most. Depending on the rank of the fighter and role, they would be dressed and armed in different ways. Some were either too poor to get armour, or they were so confident in their skill they wouldnt wear armour as principle, these singhs were termed as Nangdhar.

The way that the Singhs in the photos above have tied Sanjog Bastar into their dastar serves no real purpose, if anything its more for show. I doubt those Sanjogs cover the complete top of the head, most likely its a small peice with a triangular section which is shown at the front. It would be more practical to have a lar of chainmail hanging out the back of the dumalla to protect the back of the neck from cuts, that lar would have a peice of cloth tied to the bottom of it to prevent chaffing from the metal and to stop the cold / heat affecting the skin.

Is that your front room in the last pic?

Gurfateh ! and Thank you 'Gurbar Akaal' Bhai Sahib - you are a fount of knowledge as always.

Yes That's my dining room - or 'mama ji's Armoury' as my nephews call it ! I'm beginning to run out of space ! I am in the process of photographing and cataloging my collection - when I have finished I will post the pictures - as I would like some help from you in correctly identifying some items.

Wicked Warrior ji here are a few pictures of Armour that you may find interesting.

This is the Char Aina - Body Armour of Guru Gobind Singh - given to the Phul Family of Patiala and now kept at the Moti Bagh Museum. It is very similar to the one due to be auctioned at Sotheby's in 2008. It has verses from Jaap and Japji Sahib

dsc03625no2.jpg

dsc03627md8.jpg

dsc03628he8.jpg

These 19th century breast plates from the Howard Ricketts Collection are decorated in 'koftgiri' with images of Guru Nanak Sahib and Bhai Mardana

dsc03631ug3.jpg

dsc03630tt7.jpg

This full suit of armour also from the Howard Ricketts Collection, shows the chain mail/ dastane/ Bazuband mentioned by 'Gurbar Akaal' Ji

dsc03629sg8.jpg

These images show a 'Sikh Helmet' examples of which are in the Royal Armouries and the Smithsonian. The helmet has an area to accomodate the 'Jura' or top knot of a Sikh.

turbanor1.jpg

24677173716e5a6fb70bqy7.jpg

While the existence and use of such a helmet is a contentious issue in some Sikh circles, we find evidence for their use in Rattan Singh Bhangoo's Pracheen Panth Prakash, were he states that Sukha Singh Marhi Kambo Ki and Charhat Singh Sukerchakiya (Grandfather of Maharaja Ranjit Singh ) both wore helmets that they captured from Afghan adversaries, proudly as trophies. (I will try to dig out the reference- I have forgotten the page reference - sorry !). This confirms Gurbar Akaal ji's statement, above, about the availability and 'sourcing' of armour.

Here is the armour display at the Smithsonian, Washington. It includes the 'Sikh Helmet' with chain mail hanging at the back , char aina and bazuband with dastanay.

482781438134e079f66ofl1.jpg

These images of Hari Singh Nalwa shows him with helmet and full armour

dsc03614xq5.jpg

dsc03620px6.jpg

dsc03632qk6.jpg

In the last image note how 'Nalwa Sardar' has chain mail hanging at the back of his helmet - this is then covered with a turban.

These next group of images show various Sikh Heroes, all wearing types of armour. The images adorn the walls of Gurdwara Baba Atal Rai , Amritsar.

268690312d1f0511782bus1.jpg

440443673a4fe9efdfdts0.jpg

440443733b6666eb60apo2.jpg

440443747ad2cc7c995hv2.jpg

440443791cf51ad5de2yc6.jpg

440443949f12b9596b3nc2.jpg

These Images show Maharaja Sher Singh , the son of Ranjit Singh. He is shown wearing full armour and helmet. He wears a full suit of chain mail on top of a quilted silk jama. Note how the horse in the first image is also protected by armour.

dsc03633uq5.jpg

dsc03626hj5.jpg

Here is Sher Singh's standard bearer wearing armour

dsc03624to6.jpg

In this image we see Raja Lal Singh in European style armour.

dsc03634dz6.jpg

Here are some examples of the Indian art of Amour

Collection at Rambagh Museum Amritsar

dsc03623jp7.jpg

Chain Mail Suit - National Museum Delhi

dsc03622si0.jpg

dsc03621tt1.jpg

Bazuband with attached dastaney - National Museum Delhi - with heavy koftgiri . Note the 'Kara' like raised part on the wrist.

dsc03619sy4.jpg

dsc036192tp8.jpg

A 'Chilta Hazaar Masha' - coat of a thousand nails. in this case fabric armour reinforced with plate armour studded with small rivets. - from the Wallace Collection London.

dsc03618ol6.jpg

A Rajput 'Chilta Hazaar Masha' - velvet with floral plates.

dsc03617et2.jpg

18th century Horse armour

dsc03615au6.jpg

dsc03616nt0.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the images and they we of some use ,or were in some way what you were looking for.

GurFateh !

Ranjit Singh 'Freed'

Bringing things up to date - Here is some 21st century Sikh Armour - the so called 'Bullet Proof Patka'

as worn by Sikh Soldiers in the Indian Army (and non Sikh non turbanned soldiers due to its lightness and ease of use)

The 'halo' like 'patka' is worn over a Patka

dsc03638da2.jpg

some info ;

BULLET PROOF PATKA has an Armour strip made of Die Pressed PHANTOM STEEL. The Helmet Patka being breathable, does not cause any fatigue or headache during prolong wear to the user.

TECHNICAL FEATURES:

PROTECTION : The Armour Steel strip in the front protects the forehead by defeating fire of 7.62x39mm (AK-47 family of weapons) from a distance of 10 metres. The remaining circumference of the head is protected against fire of 9mm family of weapons from distance of 10 metres. The trauma pads provided can absorb the shock/trauma in the event of bullet hit.

SIZE : It comes in three different sizes i.e. small, medium and large or as per user's requirement.

COLOR : Helmet Patka can be made in various colour, depending on the specific requirement of the users.

The chin strap and specially designed straps at the rear ensure a perfect head grip.

Weight 1.4Kg to 1.5Kg.

Freed