Sikhism's Roots

Guest _joe_blow_

Guest _joe_blow_

A lot of the non Sikh sites I come across that try to explain Sikhism say that "Sikhism has it's roots in both Hinduism and Islam"

Is this correct?

If not then how do you explain to someone that has this misconception?

There are zillions of evidences but I'll keep it very simple. You can't tell the difference between a Hindu and a Muslim by looking at them, yet their religions are totally and severely different. A Sikh looks like neither a Hindu nor a Muslim, so how can Sikhi be a mixture of Hinduism and Islam? We don't even look like them, so how can we be labelled as followers of what they follow?

Also, if they claim that Sikhi is a mix, they should also admit that Sikhi took the GOOD parts of both, and so Sikhi is better than BOTH religions. Will they ever admit that? NEVER! Therefore Sikhi is unique and distinct and not a mix. Even if they admit it, Sikhi is still unique and distinct! We don't depend on certifications from a bunch of misinfomed individuals to claim our distinct, unique and sovereign identity.

Good question though...

Check these out as well...

http://www.sikhs.org/relig_h.htm

http://www.sikhs.org/relig_m.htm

http://www.searchsikhism.com/hinduism.html

http://www.searchsikhism.com/islam.html

There are zillions of evidences but I'll keep it very simple. You can't tell the difference between a Hindu and a Muslim by looking at them, yet their religions are totally and severely different. A Sikh looks like neither a Hindu nor a Muslim, so how can Sikhi be a mixture of Hinduism and Islam? We don't even look like them, so how can we be labelled as followers of what they follow?

Also, if they claim that Sikhi is a mix, they should also admit that Sikhi took the GOOD parts of both, and so Sikhi is better than BOTH religions. Will they ever admit that? NEVER! Therefore Sikhi is unique and distinct and not a mix. Even if they admit it, Sikhi is still unique and distinct! We don't depend on certifications from a bunch of misinfomed individuals to claim our distinct, unique and sovereign identity.

Good question though...

Good response. Had me laughing.

guru nanak dev je came into this world with a compeltly unique message

he wasnt looking to put some of hinduism together, or put some of islam together, and make a new religion

he came to inspire a completly new path, because people of the world were lost

in stupid false rituals, and had compeltly forgettn god

guru je came and told people the way to achieve mukhthee, thru his naam, and not thru woirshipping rocks or making sure u pray to one direction of the earth

search sikhism i think has some articles on this, but guru je critisiced muslims and hindus, and many other people o the day in their falsehood and pakhand

dharam is forgottn, guru je has reminded people of whatr it really is

A lot of the non Sikh sites I come across that try to explain Sikhism say that "Sikhism has it's roots in both Hinduism and Islam"

Is this correct?

If not then how do you explain to someone that has this misconception?

Nothing is created in a vacuum. If you look at Sikhism through a purely reductionalist lens, then of course you will see much that relates to the context in which Sikhism was born and developed. However someone shouldn't be blind to the clear fact that much of Sikhism is actually designed to reject or counter what came before, even when you use this approach. Sikhism is distinct from all other religions in its entirety.

Once I had the same thing said to me by a Muslim guy. However, he failed to notice how his own religion actually takes much of Judaic tradition/rules. By this I mean avoiding pork, circumcisms and the small hats worn.

The greater point is that looking at a religion on reductionist terms will only give you a very small understanding of the belief system. In other words you will "miss the woods for the trees"

Better to look at it more holistically to understand it. The unique features of Sikhism gives it a synergy of its own. The characteristics of Sikh people also help make this a distinct and unique culture,religion,way of life.

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed the site a while ago and they havn't responded nor have they changed the text in the article.

I think if otheres on this forum could please email them and point out their mistake, mayb then they will change it.

Even Sikhism, which has it's roots in both Hinduism and Islam has had to decide what it would hold to on the basis of what the Guru and his 10 successors said, some stuff was taken from Hinduism (like the concepts of Karma and rebirth) other bits were rejected (like the caste system), and the same went for Islam.

http://www.christchurchcentral.co.uk/tough...ns/sikhism.html