"sikh Doctor's (medical & Dental) Association"

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

Today someone sent me a link to the following website.

www.sikhdoctorsuk.com

(It says Sikh doctors Uk, not Sikh Doctor Suk. Just in case anybody else made the same mistake as I did.)

At first glance I thought it looked really good. Picture of Sachkhand Siri Harmandar Sahib and Gurbani around the Khanda. It also mentions Bhai Kanaiya Ji's dedication to humanity, and lists the charitable work the organisation is interested in.

So all is good.

Even better! They have a constitution. A constitution which clearly states that their job is, to promote traditional and cultural values in accordance with the teachings of the Sikh Gurus. This pleased me a lot.

I was interested enough to click on the Photo Gallery, where I came face to face with a group of people wearing turbans sitting in a dinner hall around a table with glasses of wine/beer. Quite a lot of glasses actually. (In one picture a child quite aptly cowers in her mother's arm.) Then of course there is some dancing around. More wine. Lots of smiling faces from beneath the turbans and from above the suits.

After I saw this I felt a bit confused. The constitution says clearly that Guru Ji's teachings are to be followed. But it seems that in particular, Sahib Siri Guru Gobind Singh Ji's teaching of no alcohol quite clearly has been ignored.

As I was looking at this website my mother who is also a doctor told me that once she was invited to join this society in one of its events. She refused by telling them that she wasn't interested in drinking/dancing in the name of Sikhi. The host was very offended and hasn't spoken to her since. (for over a decade.)

This organisation has the potential to do a huge amount of good. It could represent Sikhs doctors and dentists but it seems that not many of its organisers actually know what Sikhism is about. So I was wondering if anyone else here, medic/dentist/other, would like to join me in emailing these people in order to educate them a little on how to respect their saroop and act like Sikhs, especially when it comes to PR. At the moment I'm not too sure if I would want these people to knock on the Health Minister's door as a representation of Sikhi and Sikh doctors.

So, here are the contact details:

President

DR H.S.Narula,

18,Shepherd Drive,Langstone,

Newport (South Wales),

NP18 2LB,

United Kingdom.

Tel :- +44 - 1633 - 413772

E-Mail :- doc_harmohan@yahoo.com

Please let me know what you think. Thank you!

Disclaimer: I have tried not to judge these people based purely on those photos. I also happen to have seen a few of them personally. However I think it's safe to say that Sikhi and alcohol do not fit together.

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

Yes benji, it is very disturbing. I say we send them a few emails, nothing abusive or anything but just to let them know that what they are doing is wrong and going against the teachings of Guru Sahib Ji, then see what there response is. It is better to educate, how ever I do not hold much hope in them changingm but who knows with Guru Ji's kirpa.

Guest peacemaker

You know that we're all going to judge them now, just from a few pictures. That's something which I hate. They haven't changed in at least 10 years. Why would they change now? People say you aren't a "Sikh" until you are blessed with Amrit. They don't look like amritdharis to me. Again, this is just speculation and quite pointless to do. I don't know any of them personally. It's a private function, too. I've seen so many of these in my lifetime, it isn't even funny.

I'd be more concerned if they were drinking in the office, to be honest.

Guest peacemaker
When Guru Saheb asks me why I ignored it, what will I say? Anyway, no hard feelings.

But we can't be Crusaders for the whole world, can we? Will Guru Sahib ask us why we didn't stop all the killings in Rwanda? We heard about them in the news, but did most of us do anything to stop it? Where I live, there are a few drug dealers. I see them selling crack to teenagers, but I don't get involved and tell them to stop it. Will Guru Sahib ask me that, too, or is it that since they aren't Sikhs and not following rehat, anyway, we shouldn't care for them, as was my example with Rwanda?

Guest peacemaker

So long as you don't discriminate against who you help, I don't have a problem with kindly passing on any suggestions you have in a professional manner.

Interesting website - just the other day on another post here, I mentioned that I was unaware of any such organisation with regards to medics in the UK.

Personally I cannot see much evidence of what they have actually achieved in the way of medical camps etc that they are striving for. From the events and pictures it looks like the society is mainly a punjabiyat social group who use their Sikh backgrounds to form the group.

From the pictures, I do not see much evidence of young Sikh doctors being the dynamic force here - more like from-the-des middle-old aged guys and their families using the organisation as a social networking function.

I agree that the promotion of Sikhi values on the webpages is at odds with the content on the site. Most bizarre!

Basically I am not interested in joining such a group - just does not appeal and the promotion of our Guru's values are not evident -especially when they propose such promotion.

ps Do not get me wrong - I am not judging because of the alcohol issue. My own first thoughts were "I bet I could drink any of these guys under the table!"

Mahamurakh, Jangal Da