Sehajdhari Sikhs....

Deep Singh

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Sehajdhari Sikhs (well the word itself is strange because some would say a sehajdhari is a sikh without hair, others say it a person from other religion who has interest in Sikhi/or wants to become a Sikh, and Sehajdharis themselfes say they are unorthodox or liberal Sikhs who do not follow the 'Sikh Dress code' or 'eating codes' )

i just want to know if S. Sikhs are allowed to vote in common Gurdwara elections held at various Sikh Gurdwaras...i know some places they are also running the Parbandak Cometian and are leaders....how is the situation at UR Gurdwaras.....and do you think S. Sikhs should be allowed to do so (have in mind Sikh Rehit Maryada and remember to see in SGGS and SRM...and perhaps other scriptures to say why or why not..)

Just for a note: SGPC allows only Kesadhari Sikhs to vote in SGPC elections....

There is a org. for S. Sikhs...called Sehajdhari Sikh Federation....

Anyway....99% of all Sikhs ( -> :D ) ) do not follow or use the original Sikh Dress...the Baana with Dumalla and Shasstar (weapons)..are we also S. Sikhs...since we are still learning to go the rite way....-> :nihungsmile:

Deep...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As per definitions pyareo..Sahejdharis ONLY believe in the Mool Mantra, owing to their slow progressing nature I suppose, and they are as you said ones without hair and in turn unorthodox.

Again looking at definitions 'we' would either fall into Keshdari category (those who keep their hair) and believe in the eternal Guru Granth Sahib Jee.

Then the other category is Amritdhari those who have been blessed with Amrit, and live in Khalsay Tradition.

Now in the Amritdhari category I suppose some are progressing to the traditional bana..dumalla, shastaars, etc; but that does not make them 'sahejdharis' as connected to the original definition.

Honestly veer...do all these things matter?? These terms are useless in my mind...Let us focus on our own progression and help those who ask for it :D

Between a true Sikh and a Guru it is only a matter of time..with 'gurprasad' we ALL have the POTENTIAL to become true Sikhs of the Guru...

Warmest waheguru jee ka khalsa

waheguru jee kee fateh

Thanks for the post veer!

Honestly veer...do all these things matter?? These terms are useless in my mind...Let us focus on our own progression and help those who ask for it :D

^_^ Bhainjeo......

NO THEY DO NOT MATTER TO ME...the defs.

but my question was whether S. Sikhs are allowed to vote or be leaders at your GD....are they? Bhainjeo u r rite....the thing is to work to make them -> :D ) or :nihungsmile: .....but as u may know some S. Sikhs say that they should be allowed to run for election and so on....that is my point...and most of S. Sikhs know that it is against Sikhi to cut hair and say that they are perhaps therefore not the rite people to teach others Sikhi...(even tough in my personal view everyone who loves Waheguru jio will meet Waheguru..ev

en if they r sikhs or not...so whay not S. Sikhs..but running for GD election is something else...)

any way as i said i do not care about defs. the reason why i gave a def was to make it clear that others who answar should not start saying what is S. Sikhs and what is a Patit Sikh and so onnnnn......(btw....which def says about Mool Mantar...never heard of it...perhaps u can send me a PM about that so we open for discussion about defs in this topic... :D ) )

I recall a debate a year ago about if Sehajdhari Sikhs could vote in Gurdwaras, not sure what the outcome was pyareo. I think whatever the SGPC decides/resolves not everyone will be happy, there are always a few flaky people in the crowd--if you catch my drift. Personally, I don't know who should be allowed/not allowed to vote...

Guest SikhForLife

veerji theres a gw in nj which is completely run by cut hair punjabis.. the sikh sangat made their own gw a few miles away..

in other gw.. the so called Sehajdhari sikhs are allowed to vote cuz their votes are needed for the running parties to win..

if theres more majority of the :monas: then they can vote.. but theres a danger of the gw getting run by the :monas: .. there should be a Akhal Takhat amendment saying all GWs must be run by Amrit thari sikhs...

Here are the definitions by the Sikh Gurdwaras Act and accepted by Scholars, and this is the basis to vote..I believe you have to check boxes if you cut hair, can recit Mul Mantar, etc.

As per Clause 10-A of the Sikh Gurdwaras Act, 1925, a “Sahajdhari” means a person 1. who performs ceremonies according to Sikh rites; 2 who does not use tobacco or kutha (halal meat) in any form; 3 who is not a “Patit”; and 4 who believe & can recite “Mul Mantar”. I read that In fact, the word sahajdhari appears only after 1699, when some Sikhs found themselves not strong and ready enough to accept the amrit. (From the book Who is a Sikh--problems of Sikh Identity of McLeod)

The word “Patit” as per the Act means a person who, being a Keshdhari Sikh, trims or shaves his beard or keshas or who, after taking amrit, commits any one or more of the four “kurahits”. These are: having sex with a person other than one’s spouse; eating kutha meat as per Muslim rites; trimming or shaving the beard or keshas; or using tobacco in any form.