Anand Karaj, Women

Guest gobinday

Guest __Singhni__
u know what they say the horse is always in front of the cart........LOL........Singh is in front BUT Singhni is doing the driving!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Guest _guest_
by placing the bibi in front are u inferiorizing the singh?

may be they shud go sidebyside,

no wait, the one would be closer to maharaj and one further, dammit

one cud sit on the others shoulders...

but then they'd be higher up as well, again, not fair

maybe they shud make maharaj do the laavaa around te couple?

but that wud be blasphemous

they shud put an antigravitational field around maharaj, and then the couple can orbitaround instead of walking the laavaa

hahahhahah thats wt i wud've said if u hadnt said it..lol =P

hahaha.... lol

if guru ji had to stop it he wud'v done it.. =P he wud'v mentioned ki bibiya aajo age lag jayo...lol

y people even bother about all this.. .too much time to waste about rndm stuff

if u really wana do it then do it i nur marriage :p

wjkkwjkf jii

by placing the bibi in front are u inferiorizing the singh?

may be they shud go sidebyside,

no wait, the one would be closer to maharaj and one further, dammit

one cud sit on the others shoulders...

but then they'd be higher up as well, again, not fair

maybe they shud make maharaj do the laavaa around te couple?

but that wud be blasphemous

they shud put an antigravitational field around maharaj, and then the couple can orbitaround instead of walking the laavaa

THIS was hilarious.. but also puts things into perspective.. its all about how you look at things.. the hidden messsage i got from this post is that equality does not mean the same... and it depends on what mindset the person has..

well seing as you talked about Sant Bhindranwale, i would like to say that Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale said that women should go in front of men in Lavaan, there is no difference between man and women, they are equal

wrong.

hope this answers your question.

note Sant Ji also describes those people who kickstart these sort of pointless debates and controversies as Naastiks. when we look at Sikhi we shouldn't bring our own westernised mindset with us. women were being treated like dirt in the west when our Gurus taught that they should be given respect.

good points... there's too much stress put on pointless debates and not enuff on productive things..

Years ago Shanti Kaur questioning Harbhajan Singh about the practice of having the Palay (the shawl) wrapped over the Mans shoulder, and the woman holding it from behind as the man leads the woman. She thought this was some old non Sikh practice and was wondering why we do this. Especially from the aspect of why the woman had to be in the back and following the man (being subservient).

The first answer that Yogi Bhajan gave Shanti Kaur was, Well, someone has to go first.(chuckle) But he was just testing her, and of course she wasnt satisfied with that answer. When she pushed the point, he replied, It is all in your point of view. You see the woman following the man subserviently. What I see is that marriage is a carriage in which the husband and wife ride to Infinity together. The horse is in front and the driver sits behind and holds the reins. He was teaching her that people filter things through their own frame of reference and that it is not “this or that but that there are many levels of meaning.

very good story... and good meaning behind it..

just to add.. the whole 'husband going first' thing isn't only a part of indian culture... for example, when a native couple walks, the husband always walks first ahead of the wife... they do this because the husband is supposed to be the protector of his wife (and kids if they have)... so if anything were to happen (for example a bear pops outta nowhere) then the husband would be in a position where he would be able to protect his family and his family would be able to go to safety..

make of it what u will... but personally i still think its the husbands/fathers job to fend for and look after his family... i would much rather myself put into harms way before my wife..

too much DISinformation being passed around.

the original lavan involve bride and groom standing sanmukh to Guru Sahib when the laav was being read and then sitting down. the prcatice of walking round Guru is a hindu practice( who walk round fire).

the idea of who walks first shows how changing tradditons have inroduced petty arguments/debating.

as for Sant Jarnail Singh saying that Bibian should walk 1st, i have never heard him ever say that, or the Taksal ever espouse such a view.

The problem is that the sikh wedding involves Guru in hindu customs.

where did this idea of bibi-ji's brothers helping her round Guru Sahib start from?

it was cos women starting wearing their dupata ver thier eyes so they couldnt see around properly ( another hindu custom) .

traditionally the first time a man would lay eyes on his wife was when he removed her dupata on the suhaag raat ( a hindu custom). during the wedding her face would be covered.

Guru forbid bibi-an to come into darbar with thier faces hidden, but sometimes you see it at wedins.

what a mess this sanskar has become!!

• 4 years later...