Guru Granth Sahibji To Be Traslated Into 13 Different Languages

TRANSLATING GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI INTO 13 LANGUAGES  

45 members have voted

1. 1. DO YOU THINK ITS RIGHT TO SPREAD GURU'S MESSAGE TO THE ENTIRE WORLD?

• YES
    • NO

If there is translation then people will learn they beauty of Sikhi and will come to understand it, and will encourage them to learn Gurmukhi for the original writing.

The Gurus spoke spoke many different languages and wrote Kirtan in a modern type music to encourage the teachings of the lord, there is nothing wrong with this.

We can learn from other faiths who have propogated their religions around the world by using the comman mans language. that is after all what the Gurus did, they used the language of the simple poor man.

There are two types of people, the first are the people who are lucky enough to have learnt about Sikhi. Perhaps they had been born in Sikh families, maybe they learnt about Sikhi from school, the internet or by accident. They can help themselves and come to the Sangat for enlightenment. Of course they need help but they are atleast on the right path.

Then there are those that are lost, they are lost in their lives they need the help of Waheguru. If we can do something to help them then why not? We can give them the gift of Sikhi, of Gurbani. So why should we not???

I would be suspicious of translations and hope that they are thoroughly checked.

The entire GGS should not be printed in a single volume in any other language apart from Gurmukhi. By breaking it up into many seperate volumes, you can overcome this and thus it would be great to spread Gods message of the true religion to all. All major language groups should have access to this including Arabic and Mandarin. The time will come when people will need to choose between the maleccha panth and Khalsa panth and before this, it is up to all of us to spread the Gur-parchar.

hmmm when guru nanak dev ji travelled to different places like china, italy how did he communicate with people?

It's one thing explaining something in another language, like we do here, but Guru Granth Sahib Ji cannot be changed. It's ok to have booklets or Gutkey but the form of Guru Sahib should remain unchanged to give future generations the chance to view for themselves the EXACT Bani Guru Sahib revealed.

One thing iv never understood is that when people say guru sahib should not be translated into other languages is that if what they say is true shouldnt we have the sanskriti parts of guru sahib in sanskrit the hindi parks it hindi and the gurmukhi parts in gurmukhi? if you say that we should keep it the way guru sahib wrote it then having guru sahib all in gurmukhi is rong too then? umm i onno thats just iv wondered its not even my whole opinion, please somone clearify?

Guru Sahib wrote the different languages in Gurmukhi script!! Transliteration is NOT translation.

We are lucky that Guru Sahib has been unchanged since Guru Gobind Singh Ji dictated the final version. Guru Sahib is our living Guru, not a book of songs. Those words are straight from Sach Khand and we cannot change them.

You only have to look at how many different English translations there are to see that it is impossible to accurately translate Gurbani.

thanks for clearing that up:) haha i feel stupid:P

• 5 years later...

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ke Fateh,

Daas's slight opinion is that I don't completely understand all the languages Maharaajs bani are written in, let alone fully understand Gurmukhi but it all in order to connect with the emotion behind the bani and the way Maharaaj wanted it to be interpreted. I think translations are fine but one saroop is basically making a replica but without the beauty of Gurmukhi to best suit. The information can be any given language, but even programmes like Sikhi to the Max show Romanised Gurbani but always relate it to the original pavitarr form.

Gurfateh.