Punjabi 2nd Official Language In Delhi

Guest learner singh

Guest learner singh

Good to see the victory of Delhi Sikhs. ^_^

Punjabi 2nd official language in Delhi

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20030626/main8.htm

New Delhi, June 25

The President has given his assent to The Delhi Official Languages Bill, 2000, making Urdu and Punjabi the second official languages in the Capital, it was announced today.

The government in the process fulfilled the four-decade-old demands of Sikhs and Muslims in Delhi.

The President accorded his assent to the Bill on the recommendation of Deputy Prime Minister Lal Krishna Advani, a Home Ministry official said.

“The enactment declares Punjabi in Gurmukhi script and Urdu in Urdu script to be second official languages of Delhi for official purposes,’’ he disclosed.

With this enactment, it would be necessary to publish the translation of important government rules, regulations and gazette notifications and of important government advertisements in Punjabi and Urdu.

The official said it had also been made obligatory on the government functionaries in the Government of Delhi to reply to the applications and petitions made in Punjabi and Urdu in the same languages. The enactment further provides that the proceedings of the Delhi Legislative Assembly shall be recorded and issued simultaneously in Punjabi and Urdu also whenever required, he said. —

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now days if u see... Punjabi is the 2nd language of Punjab state ohmy.gif I heard everyone there thinks of speaking in hindi is cool and see punjabi as a backward language.. :D

Kill the language, kill the culture and kill the history.. aperson will be all succesfull in deleting the whole community.. and that's what happening to us in Punjab..

Kill the language = Hindi speaking in punjab state

Kill the culture = Stuffing bollywood stuff down to our throats

Kill the history = Changing sikh history (High skool text books)

Guest mehtab

i was very happy to see "Punjabi" as one option in languages section on ICQ wubb.gifwubb.gif

and don't worry, most non-punjabis agree that punjabi is coolest language, not to forget one heck of an aggressive language (forceful tone i mean).

in future one day we might have the american president start his speech with "hor fer kiddaan lokko", and i m not kidding wubb.gif

Waheguru jee ka khalsa, Waheguru jee kee fateh

Giving Punjabi and Urdu, status of second official language in Delhi is only Election Stunt which are due coming November.

Punjabi is becoming a lanugage of old people (either sikh or punjabi) day by day in Delhi n other parts of India. Now they even speak hindi with youth and kids in the house.

In my view, the main culprit for this problem are those Parents who are not providing Punjabi speaking homely environment to the kids. As we know the first teacher of a kids is his or her mother and father.

bhul chuk maaf

Waheguru jee ka khalsa, Waheguru Jee kee Fateh

Bhupender Singh

I have to agree with bsbk123....having punjabi as the second language in Delhi is kind of a joke since the majority of Sikhs in Delhi dont even speak punjabi.....Many of them just speak hindi....and many youth cant even utter a word in punjabi other than KIDHAA???!!!!...even that comes out in a fruity tone

However, it is more of a symbolic gesture as Punjabi as the 2nd language...in order to appease the Sikh Community....I'D rather have punjabi as the prime language in Punjab...cause we cant be second to anyother language in that state

1)Giving Punjabi and Urdu, status of second official language in Delhi is only Election Stunt which are due coming November.

2)In my view, the main culprit for this problem are those Parents who are not providing Punjabi speaking homely environment to the kids. As we know the first teacher of a kids is his or her mother and father.

Waheguru jee ka khalsa, Waheguru Jee kee Fateh

Bhupender Singh

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

1)yes i agree with bsbk these rotten scoundrel politician will never become good they can do any dam thing to win.

2)yes this is also the main problem in our houses speaking in hindi and not in punjabi so to remove this start from now speak in punjabi so that our forthcomming generation will only speak in punjabi thank u bhul chuk maaf

I have to agree with bsbk123....having punjabi as the second language in Delhi is kind of a joke since the majority of Sikhs in Delhi dont even speak punjabi.....Many of them just speak hindi....and many youth cant even utter a word in punjabi other than KIDHAA???!!!!...even that comes out in a fruity tone

However, it is more of a symbolic gesture as Punjabi as the 2nd language...in order to appease the Sikh Community....I'D rather have punjabi as the prime language in Punjab...cause we cant be second to anyother language in that state

yea my masserji was from dehli and he can read/write hindi but not punjabi. he can speak both though. his mom is also into some hindu traditions. i think it's okay though. official languages dont mean much, just whatever language people use. i mean if the official language in india was suddenly chinese that doesnt mean anyone will speak chinese ; :D