How To Respond To This Simple Question From Atheists?

Guest Adeieu

Just last night there was katha at Gurdwara Dasmesh Darbar, Calgary about this same issue. I heard it online live.

Some atheist came upto a Gurmukh and said that you guys squander money from naive people in the name of religion. There is nothing called God. If there is, show me. The Gurmukh tried to reason with him but of no avail. Finally, he said alright I'll show you God. He asked someone to bring a brick (maybe it was xHarinder_singh veerji *HAHA* just kidding jeeo) and hit the brick on that guy's head. He started cussing the Gurmukh and yelled why did you hit me. Gurmukh said why what happened? He said I am in pain. The Gurmukh said I can't see the pain, show me where is it. The atheist said even if you can't see it, I do feel it. The Gurmukh said there you have your answer. God is not seen, but felt!

bhul chuk maaf

For a religon that states that you cant strike someone until you have been struck first, this analogy is in complete contradiction of the basic tenents of sikhism.

Ask him why more than 90% of the worlds population believe in a 'higher being', 'alternate power' or 'god' if there wasnt one. Even Einstein believed in a higher power, knowing what he knew.
what are Atheists? :S

Someone that don't believe in God or denies Gods existence

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/may...cience.religion

This is a common misrepresentation of Einstein, he made his personal opinion towards religion and god very clearly in a letter that was recently up for auction. Check the link out.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a religon that states that you cant strike someone until you have been struck first, this analogy is in complete contradiction of the basic tenents of sikhism.
True, but when someone is arguing just for the sake of arguing, when someone isn't ready to listen, when someone isn't a jigyaasu but rather an irritant, when someone doesn't want to learn and just bicker, and to make it worse, when this someone uses insulting words and slanders a GurSikh (and thereby Sikhi) as a fraud making money off people, well, Dasmesh Pita has clearly stated in Zafarnama what is to be done :)

Guest _sunnysgrewal_
True, but when someone is arguing just for the sake of arguing, when someone isn't ready to listen, when someone isn't a jigyaasu but rather an irritant, when someone doesn't want to learn and just bicker, and to make it worse, when this someone uses insulting words and slanders a GurSikh (and thereby Sikhi) as a fraud making money off people, well, Dasmesh Pita has clearly stated in Zafarnama what is to be done :)

I think your forgetting the fact that Guru Nanak himself traveled to Mecca (Medina?) to engage in diologue with muslims. their is nothing in wrong with talking about religion, thier is nothing wrong with scrutiny, if you are so sure with your path then you can can deal with any type of criticism in a civilized manner.

Your use of Zafarnama as a pretext to attack people who dont agree with your views is completely contradictory to the proclamations creation.

The zafarnama was issued to relay the message to Aurangazeb that his army was defeated because he chose to act excessively, if you are trying to argue that this simple argument is a basis for an attack on a person who questions your religion, then I think you need to reread the zafarnama to understand what Gobind was trying to tell the mughal emperor.

Btw, last time I checked, thier is an entire sikh political body in Amritsar that is readily siphoning off the funds of the golden temple without the help of outsiders.

Please read this part again...

when someone is arguing just for the sake of arguing, when someone isn't ready to listen, when someone isn't a jigyaasu but rather an irritant, when someone doesn't want to learn and just bicker, and to make it worse, when this someone uses insulting words and slanders a GurSikh (and thereby Sikhi) as a fraud making money off people

The individual in question wasn't there to learn or discuss, but to slander. "Gur ki ninda suneh na kaan, bhet karo tis naal kirpan". Yes you do make a good point that hitting someone who doesn't agree with me is straight up stupid. But there is a limit to everything. A Sikh who listens to nindya of Gurujee or GurSikhi with a retarded smile on his/her face is no Sikh. This person was doing slander right at the Gurdwara. It was stupid of him to begin with, coming to a Gurdwara and slandering Sikhi, coming to a Gurdwara and saying there is no God and all you Sikhs are pakhandis.

Please read this part again...
when someone is arguing just for the sake of arguing, when someone isn't ready to listen, when someone isn't a jigyaasu but rather an irritant, when someone doesn't want to learn and just bicker, and to make it worse, when this someone uses insulting words and slanders a GurSikh (and thereby Sikhi) as a fraud making money off people

The individual in question wasn't there to learn or discuss, but to slander. "Gur ki ninda suneh na kaan, bhet karo tis naal kirpan". Yes you do make a good point that hitting someone who doesn't agree with me is straight up stupid. But there is a limit to everything. A Sikh who listens to nindya of Gurujee or GurSikhi with a retarded smile on his/her face is no Sikh. This person was doing slander right at the Gurdwara. It was stupid of him to begin with, coming to a Gurdwara and slandering Sikhi, coming to a Gurdwara and saying there is no God and all you Sikhs are pakhandis.

Just to make sure, was the athiest in question a real individual or a hypothetical situation?

Not that my faith is shaken or anything like that its just that I don't really know what to say when someone asks me.

"why do you believe in God but not in leprechauns and fairies?"

Thanks

Before you can even begin to answer this question, ask yourself, Why Do I believe in God? Am I content in just believing that God exists or do I need to seek further? Am I content in just hearing of a water well or do I need to seek it out and drink from it? Am I thirsty enough?

What is Faith? What is Faith if it were to shake? What happens next when another comes and actually shakes your Faith? Will God still exists for you?

A child 'believes' in Santa Clauses, the tooth fairies, the elfs, the leprechauns, am I that child that needs distraction for my mind to entertain itself? Has God become that replacement for the mind?

The question has depth to it, don't dismiss it.

Just to make sure, was the athiest in question a real individual or a hypothetical situation?
As per the katha, it was a real incident.

Im pretty sure the speaker was using an example rather then referring to a real incidient. It makes absolutely no sense that someone would just come to a house of worship and begin to randomly attack a religion and its followers. No one would be dumb enough to place themsleves in that kind of situation.