Langar Hall

fortunate

My question regards..the current state of gurdwaras

with new ideas coming to play....and traditional rehat being incorporated with modern ideas...

does it make it okay?

Is it okay for langar halls (whether they are at equal level to guru ji's hall, or be it beneath guru ji's throne) to have chairs and tables?

each time i go to a gurghar especailly out of the GTA (Toronto) area...in either Vancouver, Uk, Australia...

how come more and more gurdwaras are starting to have tables?...is it okay?

Do you really beleive this place needs to be called Langar hall , as this is not as per code of conduct of sikhi , then probably in near future you might have Gurudawra halls as well where audience would be sitting in cusioned chairs as its confortable and rest the things i dont even want to imagine

My question regards..the current state of gurdwaras

with new ideas coming to play....and traditional rehat being incorporated with modern ideas...

does it make it okay?

Is it okay for langar halls (whether they are at equal level to guru ji's hall, or be it beneath guru ji's throne) to have chairs and tables?

each time i go to a gurghar especailly out of the GTA (Toronto) area...in either Vancouver, Uk, Australia...

how come more and more gurdwaras are starting to have tables?...is it okay?

i personally have no problem in imagining langar halls with chairs and tables, but they should be below the level of takht of guruji maharaj. And what is wrong with chairs with cushions. Humility should be inner and not outward showoff.

For example the water outside in a box type before the entrance of gurdwara is meant for washing dirty feet, but people drink it calling amrit. They are not being humble but ignorant and superstitious. Amrit is in sarovar.

Veer ji

I am sorry to say however i am sure you wont have a problem when audience would be sitting in garadwara hall on chairs and guru Maharaaj would be placed on high platform and how about there would be DJ's doing mixiing of Shabads , there would be Ragis with their orchestra parties , playing music for them , i hope it would also be accepted as it would be confirtable for everyone. but do you really beleive then we would be able to remember the maryada thats been followed in Harminder sahib or may any itihasik Gurdwara Sahib.

I am extermly sorry i have a hurt any if the emotion, but thts how i feel

i personally have no problem in imagining langar halls with chairs and tables, but they should be below the level of takht of guruji maharaj. And what is wrong with chairs with cushions. Humility should be inner and not outward showoff.

For example the water outside in a box type before the entrance of gurdwara is meant for washing dirty feet, but people drink it calling amrit. They are not being humble but ignorant and superstitious. Amrit is in sarovar.

:glare:

The above reply doesn't make any sense in sikhi terms.. Hope next time you won't support drive-thru langar system. If you have humility inside, then it naturally shows up outside !!

Maybe its superstitious to you but not to the people who do that.. same as wearing a turban may look superstitious to goray but not to me.. The above example you stated is one of the practical ways to learn how to be humble.

langar halls shouldnt have chairs and tables, simple as that dont know why people running gurudwaras want to make a simple thing into a complicated issue. Here we got one gurudwara where everyone sits on tables and chairs and its self service, feels less like a langar hall and more like a punjabi dhaba. Thats why i havnt been there for nearly 2 years.

"Amrit is in sarovar"

amrit is in gurbaani. if amrit was in a sarovar, then why do we need to do kar sewa to clean it out. amrit is eternally pure, doesn't gte dirty and need to be cleaned.

anyways, different topic. sorry.

siqguru hY AMimRq sru swcw mnu nwvY mYlu cukwvixAw ]1] rhwau ] (113-15, mwJ, mÚ 3)

satgur hai amrit sar saachaa man naavai mail chukaavani-aa. ||1|| rahaa-o.

The True Guru is the True Pool of Nectar; bathing in it, the mind is washed clean of all filth. ||1||Pause||

jo bIjY soeI Plu pwey supnY suKu n pwvixAw ]4] (113-19, mwJ, mÚ 3)

jo beejai so-ee fal paa-ay supnai sukh na paavni-aa. ||4||

As they plant, so do they harvest. They shall not obtain peace, even in their dreams. ||4||

peace.

Gurfatehji,

True! there are so many old people who cannot squat on the floor because of stiff knees and joints. .. what do they do? Are they not entitled to have guru ghar da langar? Chairs and tables should be there for such people.. though healthier lot could squat on the floor..

Now a daze there is either a real/traditional Langar or there are just places to eat indian food at the Gurdwara. (Simple as that)

Most of the people whinning about stiff joints dont even have stiff joints themselves. They just add a rotten opinion to mix up more of what they dont know. Let the grandma complain to sit in a chair, we dont need her 20 year old nephew trying to build tables and chairs so they can not feel so humble while sitting on the floor with everyone else.

First they would rather sit on a chair and eat from a table next they will justify what??????? having a catholic style chuch sitting arrangments so they dont feel so guilty to the christian missionaries :rolleyes:

Then when they go back an forth they wont get lost in a Sikh tradition, then theyll want to drink whine and eat a cracker :lol:

i totally beleive tht if humility is inside.. it will be reflected outside too.. so.. maryada is to sit on ground and eat.. Pangat style.

however, i feel no objection if thre are few table and chairs for 10-20 bujurgs who cant squat!!

example... one of my frend came to gurudwara.. he comes daily, even b4 we were frends. but he has told me several times, abt problem in squatting.. becoz he is very fat.. very!!

so, he sits on the chair table.. now how wud he feel if any sevadaar comes and say.. mr. get down frm thre.. u r disrespecting ,,

i mean wht the hell!! :6