Desi Puratan Medicine System

xHarinder_singh

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I am not sure about using the jathebandi term to be used for sampradayie like nirmalas and akali nihang khalsa. They are definetly not "jathas" lol.

your post made me interested in exactly what is the difference between a jatha and a samparda. :)

according to my handy online punjabi/english dictionary:

Translation for "jQw"

Corps, company, squad, crew, body, batch or group, band.

i don't think there's anything wrong with calling nihangs a "group" of sikhs. however, i also looked up samparda:

Translation for "sMprdw"

Tradition, schism, sect, creed, denomination.

which has more of a religious bent to it. in english, a sect or demonimation is more like a splinter group, a group that broke off from the mainstream. is that accurate? or would "tradition" be the appropriate english translation?

anyway, i appreciate the motivation to learn about sikh/punjabi words.

conclusion: calling nihangs a "group" (jatha) doesn't seem like it's completely incorrect to me, though it is less accurate than samparda.

please do let me know if the translation in the dictionary is wrong (or if my punjabi spelling is wrong!), i'm new to this language, so i'm happy to learn from my mistakes!

I think its ok to call "a group" of nihangs a jatha, but I am not sure about calling either a nihang dal or the whole nihang khalsa fauj a jatha. The reason I don't like jatha in this context it forces them to be seen in the same light as the khalsa type organisations named jatha created during/after the british raaj in india.

For sampradaiye, I would say tradition is a more accurate term. And definelty not broke off from the mainstream, because the Buddha Dal and akali nihang singh khalsa was the mainstream khalsa :)

'Now we are considered distinct, now they [modern Sikh leaders] preach us to be just Nihangs, Nihangs are these, they do not consider us Sikhs, they say we just move about aimlessly, ask have they done any religious service, work etc. When the whole nation was but Nihangs who else was there to serve? All accept the service of the Khalsa nation but all the sacrifices it [the Akali Nihang Khalsa Panth] has made, they [the mainstream S.G.P.C. Sikhs] have written over and attributed to themselves. No! That Khalsa is us. Yes! That Panth that was first of Singhs was of Nihangs. It was this Nihang Panth, which the Maharaj [Guru Gobind Singh] brought into being. He himself dressed as a Nihang. Nihang is he who on the battlefield fights in the vanguard. Nihangs are not a caste nor are they a distinct sect. Look! They [mainstream S.G.P.C. Sikhs] make us out to be a sect that it is a sect of Nihangs. So thus, oh Khalsa, they label us thieves and bandits. In actuality they consider us as a waste of time. But never mind - as someone acts so he reaps. If they act badly towards us, our Singhs will bear it. If they do good we will do good - if not they will reap what they sow.'

('Prachin Panth Parkash Steek' , by Akali Nihang Baba Santa Singh Ji, Pa.118)

I personally have not much faith on the modern medicinal system. I feel the modern medicines do more harm than good in the long run. I personally feel sikh communities settled all over the globe shud have atleast one person with decent knowledge of puratan desi medicines.

Can anyone give the address of a nihung or nirmala dera where they teach such stuff ?

This stuff will come very hand in the near future.

I personally have not much faith on the modern medicinal system. I feel the modern medicines do more harm than good in the long run. I personally feel sikh communities settled all over the globe shud have atleast one person with decent knowledge of puratan desi medicines.

Can anyone give the address of a nihung or nirmala dera where they teach such stuff ?

"puratan desi" medicine is Ayurveda, right? you can find Ayurvedic clinics, practicioners and schools in every part of the world. most major medical schools in the US offer courses in Ayurvedic medicine.

is it necessary that the provider be a nihung? kind of "medicinal bibek"? ;)

"puratan desi" medicine is Ayurveda, right? you can find Ayurvedic clinics, practicioners and schools in every part of the world. most major medical schools in the US offer courses in Ayurvedic medicine.

is it necessary that the provider be a nihung? kind of "medicinal bibek"? ;)

well... I dont think all puratan desi medicine is ayurvedic. People in the villages have developed some desi ways of treating diseases with experience. They have not read the ayur-vedaa. There was a great singh Dr. Surinder Singh Jee who had an exceptional spiritual avastha and learnt the natural medicines cure from Akaal Purakh. He served people for many years.

Samprada are those traditions that come from the time of the Gurus in a lineage of teachers. Damdami Taksaal is one example of such an unbroken lineage, it is part of the Giani samprada along with Bhai Mani Singh Taksaal.

I think it's good to learn ayurveda from any source, but there really is a lack of oversight or regulation in the west for desi or most other traditional medicine practitioners. Some dr's have formed their own organisations but i feel one must be a bit careful in who to take on as a teacher. there's considerably greater 'quality control' when learning from a big name dr or an established tradition of teaching desi medicine.