Dhumalla

Dukh Nivaran

I dont do nothing to any turbans but wash them.

I never cut or ruin my turbans integrity or solidity.

Just fold it up and wrap, instructions of how to cut to me sounds silly :) but what ever floats your boat {[:-)>

If you can wrestle and have it not come off or get clothes-lined at turban level and it doesnt lose a bit of tightness on your head then it doesnt matter how you prep it. If you can get hit in the head with a sword and have a sharp sword just bounce off then its gewd enuff.

Just dont wash a new turban in hot water, the bright color will fade quicker :)

Shall i fold it up like a normal turban? O and ye since you dont cut it, how are your larrs so smooth?

I dont do nothing to any turbans but wash them.

I never cut or ruin my turbans integrity or solidity.

Just fold it up and wrap, instructions of how to cut to me sounds silly :) but what ever floats your boat {[:-)>

veerji, how do you think the turban seller gets the right length kapda for you? he cuts it! :) cutting it to the proper size is completely logical and does not ruin the "integrity" or "solidity" of your dastaar in any way. we all wear our dastaars according to what suits us. for a dumalla, the thinner width of kapda is necessary to get the right shape.

where do you by your kapda? if you bought "dumalla material", it may have already been cut to the proper width before you even bought it.

to the original poster: there is nothing at all wrong with cutting the kapda to the right size. how else will you tie it?

greetings and salutations

when i get my pugh material it is about 60 cms wide and about 6 metres ish long, so to tie a decent pugh without it being too big one has to cut it in half the long way. i.e. reduce the width to 30 cms in my case.

also as discussed above, the thinner width gives good control and shape to the pugh

and on a brighter note if u cut the pugh material in half ... you now have two pughs ! :)

regards

Dilrubarb

True bout cutting to length. I wear 7 yards. I get my laars smooth most of the time while tying my pangree but if I need to then get a slhy/baaj :)

I just think the material should be respected so I do alter it except for folding. I buy all different materials and colors(blue,black,white,orange) because each haz itz benefits.

When the BabaJis give me Dastars I can just fold it and tie it after a nice fold job :)

One thing I do that nobody else does(that Ive noticed etc) is I tie a round turban but I unwrap while tightly spinning it back into a tight round material with a end cap at the end (over joora/dasamduar) Ill take a pic an post my Pagrees in my spot. Then its eazy and quick plus I dont even come close to letting my Turban touch the ground and could probably put it on while walking etc no mirror etc

Did any of the Gurus wear a Turban like the modern nok Turban etc???? Or were they round ??? :)

Did any of the Gurus wear a Turban like the modern nok Turban etc???? Or were they round ??? :)

they would have worn round dumalla/gol dastaar.

the modern nok style came from Maharaja Ranjit Singh's time... it's a fusion of northern afghani/north indian styles.

the extreme "patiala" style was made popular from paintings of the Maharaja Patiala Bhupinder Singh. the british artist who did the painting thought the turban looked better with a more extreme "v" shape over the face, and a flatter top, so he painted the portraits that way. :)

turban history is cool.

My humble advice is cut the pagh, never tear it -it leaves to many loose rough ends. You should feel comfortable with the size and shape. But, wear it proud. Dont disguise it as some other type of head gear. It takes a certain type of individual to wear a Distaar !

As for not cutting the pagh because of solidity/ etc -with repect that is just 'nonsensical veem'. No Sikh should listen or take note of such mumbo-jumbo.

I agree with Jasleen K -her points on Sikhi are solid !