Sikhi - Dancing - Bhangra

Traveller

Hello,

I've been doing some quick searching but havent been able to find anything conclusive or specific, but found many other very interesting topics mind you!!

Anyway....what are the views of sikhs on the place...or the non-place of dancing to/and/or bhangra music in the Sikh way of life?

I don't think I've ever seen an amritdhari dance, but is that because it's not allowed? Would sikhs have danced in victory? Is there such thing as party-like celebrations or is the celebration done on a much higher level?

I know so many sikhs who are so talented in the art of dance and expression through movement...I wonder what an amritdhari way of life means for their assumed to be god-given talents?

Many thanks,

Traveller

ਬਹੁ ਤਾਲ ਪੂਰੇ ਵਾਜੇ ਵਜਾਏ ॥

One may beat upon and play all sorts of instruments,

ਨਾ ਕੋ ਸੁਣੇ ਨ ਮੰਨਿ ਵਸਾਏ ॥

but no one will listen, and no one will enshrine it in the mind.

ਮਾਇਆ ਕਾਰਣਿ ਪਿੜ ਬੰਧਿ ਨਾਚੈ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ਦੁਖੁ ਪਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੬॥

For the sake of Maya, they set the stage and dance, but they are in love with duality, and they obtain only sorrow. ||6||

ਜਿਸੁ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਲਗੈ ਸੋ ਮੁਕਤਾ ॥

Those whose inner beings are attached to the Lord's Love are liberated.

ਇੰਦ੍ਰੀ ਵਸਿ ਸਚ ਸੰਜਮਿ ਜੁਗਤਾ ॥

They control their sexual desires, and their lifestyle is the self-discipline of Truth.

ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਸਦਾ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਏ ਏਹਾ ਭਗਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਭਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੭॥

Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, they meditate forever on the Lord. This devotional worship is pleasing to the Lord. ||7||

i think this is usually interpreted as meaning that dancing is not encouraged.

Nothing wrong with dancing in my opinion(as long as the dance is clean), if a sikh is krumping or breakdancing everyone will be like oh thats cool but if a sikh does bhangra people start to talk crap.

ok, for me, the main problem with dancing are the music and the venue. listen to the lyrics in banghra. it's all about sex, booze, fighting, etc. NOT exactly what gursikhs should listen to, right? second, where do people dance? clubs? filled with booze, cigarette smoke, and drunk people. again, not exactly the right environment for sikhs.

if you can find clean music and a clean venue (maybe guys only or girls only), good luck getting anyone to dance. :)

i think the main point of dancing is to attract the opposite sex, again, not exactly gurmat, right? :)

if you're dancing around your living room alone... go for it. i think that's probably ok. :)

Nothing wrong with dancing in my opinion(as long as the dance is clean), if a sikh is krumping or breakdancing everyone will be like oh thats cool but if a sikh does bhangra people start to talk crap.

ok, for me, the main problem with dancing are the music and the venue. listen to the lyrics in banghra. it's all about sex, booze, fighting, etc. NOT exactly what gursikhs should listen to, right? second, where do people dance? clubs? filled with booze, cigarette smoke, and drunk people. again, not exactly the right environment for sikhs.

if you can find clean music and a clean venue (maybe guys only or girls only), good luck getting anyone to dance. :)

i think the main point of dancing is to attract the opposite sex, again, not exactly gurmat, right? :)

if you're dancing around your living room alone... go for it. i think that's probably ok. :)

"putt jattan de balaunde bakkree" was my favourite song and I also liked the song .. kachiyaarian ch mele lagde jad painde aa tareek kise jatt deee. I also used to do some great bhangraa... brrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaa

I was in a disc in viennaa, austria some years back and I was drunk, i went to the dj and told him to play "punjabi mc", he laughed and played the song and I did bhangraa with goraa veers and gori bibis.

"putt jattan de balaunde bakkree" was my favourite song and I also liked the song .. kachiyaarian ch mele lagde jad painde aa tareek kise jatt deee. I also used to do some great bhangraa... brrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaa

I was in a disc in viennaa, austria some years back and I was drunk, i went to the dj and told him to play "punjabi mc", he laughed and played the song and I did bhangraa with goraa veers and gori bibis. I also taught some bhangraa to my professor and taught him to doo brruaaaa. He did a very cute brrruuaaa.hahahahahahahahahaha

Dance with your mind.

waheguru! :)

ਹਉ ਵਾਰੀ ਜੀਉ ਵਾਰੀ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮਿ ਸੁਹਾਵਣਿਆ ॥

I am a sacrifice, my soul is a sacrifice, to those who look beautiful in the Name of the Lord, Har, Har.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਗਾਵੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਚੈ ਹਰਿ ਸੇਤੀ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

The Gurmukhs sing, the Gurmukhs dance, and focus their consciousness on the Lord. ||1||Pause||

I was in a disc in viennaa, austria some years back and I was drunk, i went to the dj and told him to play "punjabi mc", he laughed and played the song and I did bhangraa with goraa veers and gori bibis. I also taught some bhangraa to my professor and taught him to doo brruaaaa. He did a very cute brrruuaaa.hahahahahahahahahaha

Leh yaar, Punjabi ch gaalaan ni sikhaiyya? :LOLz: :LOLz: :LOLz: :LOLz: :LOLz: :LOLz: