Sikh Celebrations And Christmas

SikhRoots

http://www.sikhroots.com/index.php/compone...ons-a-christmas

christmas.jpg

s part of the Christmas celebrations this year, Lesley Garrett, presents "Christmas Voices" - an hour of music, inspiration and conversation. Also, featured in each of these four episodes, is a segment looking at diversity and how other faiths celebrate their own festivals as well as Christmas.

Aired on 1st December 2008, the first episode of this series featured the "Singh Makhan" family of Leicester. They talk about the proper significance of Divali (Bandhi-chhor) and the tradition of Dastaar-Bandhi where a child ties his first Sikh turban at the Gurdwara preceding an Akhand Paath.

The video also talks about the basics of Sikhi beginning with Guru Nanak Dev Ji and the Gurdwara explained by Dr Inderjit Singh OBE. However, it is unfortunate that he has not followed some basics of the Sikh maryadha such as sitting on a chair in Darbaar Sahib where Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is present. All Sikhs are ordered to sit on the floor on one level as a mark of respect for our Guru. Sitting on chairs, particularily without good reason in the presence of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, is very disrespectful.

In addition, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is more than just a "Holy Book". Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the Eternal Guru of the Sikhs - the Eternal Guru who gives us knowledge, understanding, spirituality and enlightenment.

This year, Sikhs around the world came together to celebrate 300 years since Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee was given eternal Guruship by the Tenth Guru, Guru Gobind Singh Ji. A lot of time, effort and money was put into these celebrations, not only to mark this occasion, but also to educate the world about our Guru.

See the video here :

Download: http://www.sikhroots.net/video/News%20l%20...20Christmas.wmv

Watch:

For more information about Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, please visit www.sikhismguide.org/granth.shtml

Did he? :S

I was quite shocked when i saw this too. Rest of the video is good though and is great that BBC chose Sikhism to encourage interfaith tolerance.

I was also annoyed because he called Guru Ji "Holy Book". On a lot of Sikh websites, Guru Ji is called "Holy Book", but he should have elaborated on the fact that Guru Ji is more than just a "book".

I think we are maybe too quick to judge. Although it doesn't look like he is just standing, we cannot see a chair, he could have been kneeling!

All in all, I thought the video clip came across very well and showed Sikhi in a very positive light (bar the holy book reference).

We have the original high quality recording and it looks very much like he is sitting on an office chair. Initially we thought he may have been sitting on the stage where the keertanis perform, but this doesnt seem to be the case.

It does portray Sikhs in a positive light overall. There are many Sikhs who believe we shouldnt join in the celebrations at all and i think this video shows us why we should.