Red And Yellow Thread?

Dukh Nivaran

I have seen many Sikhs wearing this red and yellow thread on their wrists, mainly in England. What does this thread symbolize?

bhaji, to be totally honest, i have no idea

but i have heard rumours that professor surinder singh da tanti saj teacher makes you tie a tagha round your wrist to show

you belong to him. i dont know if this is true or what.

but it may be a clue

I have seen many Sikhs wearing this red and yellow thread on their wrists, mainly in England. What does this thread symbolize?

lol i think its a punjabi thing tied on everyone present on ppls maiya-where they rub haldhi and stuff on bride or grooms face and arms before their wedding

iv asked ppl that wear it. they say it protects them from bad stuff. maybe nazzar??????

but either way, its nuffin to do with sikhi!

weirdo hindu rituals!

iv also coma accross somone who has beed to a pakhandi baba and he gave that thing to wear round his rist and summin to eat, i imajined it to be a patasa like substance.

maybe some sort or sehej dhari thing??????????

ppl want both sides of the coin. dont wana grow their kesh and become guru wale and jus wana do 'mata ji pooja' (durga/kali ma) and such things..

but if they try, thas good!! jus gota tel em next that sikhi sez.... this and that...

i.e. guru gobind singh saying that taweed aint gona keep ya! kharag chuk!!!

namaskaar sri kharag ko!!

Could still be an old raki lol. Regardless why should we care what people wear and do.

Are we not meant to be torrent of all religions and cultures ?.

Someone quote "weirdo hindu rituals!", to us it might seem weird but to others it is what they believe in. Think we should respect that and carry on with our own lives. Am sure to non Sikhs some of our customs seem very weird. But thats what makes us different we Respect all people and their customs. Well in theory we should be but seems like a lot of members have forgotten that. Oh well!

Also "wannab Alki" parji, i know your only trying to help the topic starter, but "you heard" is not factual, such rumours can cause problems with in the community. Rumours are a form of gossip.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• Net pay after taxes. If you don't agree, think about this: If you were a trader and started off in China with silk that cost 100 rupees and came to India, and you had to pay total 800 rupees taxes at every small kingdom along the way, and then sold your goods for 1000 rupees, you'd have 100 rupees left, right? If your daswandh is on the gross, that's 100 rupees, meaning you have nothing left. Obviously, you owe only 10% of 100, not 10% of 1000. No, it's 10% before bills and other expenses. These expenses are not your expenses to earn money. They are consumption. If you are a business owner, you take out all expenses, including rent, shop electricity, cost of goods sold, advertising, and government taxes. Whatever is left is your profit and you owe 10% of that.  If you are an employee, you are also entitled to deduct the cost of earning money. That would be government taxes. Everything else is consumption.    
    • No, bro, it's simply not true that no one talks about Simran. Where did you hear that? Swingdon? The entire Sikh world talks about doing Simran, whether it's Maskeen ji, Giani Pinderpal Singh, Giani Kulwant Singh Jawaddi, or Sants. So what are you talking about? Agreed. Agreed. Well, if every bani were exactly the same, then why would Guru ji even write anything after writing Japji Sahib? We should all enjoy all the banis. No, Gurbani tells you to do Simran, but it's not just "the manual". Gurbani itself also has cleansing powers. I'm not saying not to do Simran. Do it. But Gurbani is not merely "the manual". Reading and singing Gurbani is spiritually helpful: ਪ੍ਰਭ ਬਾਣੀ ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਭਾਖਿਆ ॥  ਗਾਵਹੁ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਪੜਹੁ ਨਿਤ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੈ ਤੂ ਰਾਖਿਆ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ The Lord's Bani and the words are the best utterances. Ever sing hear and recite them, O brother and the Perfect Guru shall save thee. Pause. p611 Here Guru ji shows the importance of both Bani and Naam: ਆਇਓ ਸੁਨਨ ਪੜਨ ਕਉ ਬਾਣੀ ॥ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਿਸਾਰਿ ਲਗਹਿ ਅਨ ਲਾਲਚਿ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਜਨਮੁ ਪਰਾਣੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ The mortal has come to hear and utter Bani. Forgetting the Name thou attached thyself to other desires. Vain is thy life, O mortal. Pause. p1219 Are there any house manuals that say to read and sing the house manual?
    • All of these are suppositions, bro. Linguists know that, generally, all the social classes of a physical area speak the same language, though some classes may use more advanced vocabulary. I'm talking about the syntax. That is, unless the King is an invader, which Porus was not. When you say Punjabi wasn't very evolved, what do you mean? The syntax must have been roughly the same. As for vocabulary, do you really think Punjabis at the time did nothing more than grunt to express their thoughts? That they had no shades of meaning? Such as hot/cold, red/yellow/blue, angry/sweet/loving/sad, etc? Why must we always have an inferiority complex?
    • I still think about that incident now and then, just haven't heard any developments regarding what happened, just like so many other things that have happened in Panjab!
    • There was a young Singh from abroad who went to Anandpur Sahib Hola and got into a fight with some Punjabis who were playing loud non-religious music. He had bana and a weapon or two. There were more of them than him.  He ended up losing his life. Don't be like that. Not worth it to fight manmukhs. @californiasardar1 ਮੂਰਖੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਨ ਲੁਝੀਐ ॥੧੯॥ Argue not with a fool. p473

Important Information

Terms of Use