Words Of Wisdom

JustME

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Listening to the able master is an effective means of killing the mind - provided your surrender is earnest.

Light and darkness can never exist together.

Where there is light, there can be no darkness - and where there is darkness,

there can be no light and your mind is darkness personfied! that is why it is said you must free yourself of your mind.”

~unknown

You are given knowledge to cure ignorance - the disease of the mind. But knowledge has to change into knowing and into experience - only then is its purpose served. But when the listener is engrossed in words, then knowledge becomes a bondage and a burden.

Listening to the able master is an effective means of killing the mind - provided your surrender is earnest. You must use the all-powerful words of the master only for strengthening your mind. This is the reason why all mystics and teachers, present in different times, have to devise new methods to handle your mind. Every master is a master designer who creates various devices to kill your mind. These methods will be different from the earlier methods. The mind is very cunning; it begins to reject old methods because it is prepared for its shocks and strategies. So the master has to design and devise new methods - this is how various religions have evolved.

Sitting close to your guru and listening to him could become a medium; but you use this medium in such a way that it does not remain a medium any more. It is not the guru you love but the image of him that you create in your mind. You surrender to that image and not to the guru! If you are not able to fully master the method, then just listening will not dissolve the myths and confusions. Darkness is not dispelled and therefore you are not able to comprehend the truth. The truth remains beyond the perception and understanding of those who are delusional and full of desires.

Your own sense of existence-awareness is immediately known and available at all times. It is not an attainment. There is no technique or process involved. You cannot gain it or lose it. It is here now.

Thoughts and experiences never obscure your true nature. It is always completely free and available. We just did not see it because we were looking in the wrong direction. Once it is clearly pointed out to us, we can see this directly and with no effort.

Once you see that who you are is constantly with you, you do not have an experience of moving in and out of peace or clarity. It is only due to contrary concepts that we seem to lose it. In fact, the thoughts are mistaken. Once we see this, the thoughts lose their grip.

The belief that you are a separate person is the cause of all ignorance, suffering, anxiety, doubt, fear and so on — that is to say, all self-centered thinking. Have a direct look and see if you can find the person you have imagined yourself to be.

The seeming separate “I” that we took ourselves to be was never really present. When that is seen to be absent, except as an imagined concept, the rug is pulled out from under the whole production. With no “I,” who has a problem? Who needs to do anything? Who needs to attain anything?

When you see how direct and simple it is, the doubts, questions and problems get undercut at the source. The recognition of clear, present awareness is utterly beyond doubt. Nothing necessarily changes in the appearance of living, but things are no longer being filtered through a screen of unexamined beliefs and reference points.

When it is seen that the individual is absent, all the questions fall to pieces and life in clarity remains. It is utterly simple, utterly profound — and utterly normal. The natural state could also be called the normal state!

No matter where the mind jumps to, it is all taking place right within empty awareness. That is all there is to it. And you are that. You have always been that.

Awareness, or your true nature, is not a thing or an object to be grasped by the senses or the mind. For this reason, the mind is utterly unable to understand what is being pointed out. Yet if I ask you “Are you aware?” you immediately recognize the presence of awareness, or the fact of your own being. True insight does not rely on the mind at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes there would be a rush of noisy visitors and the Silence of the monastery would be shattered.

This would upset the disciples; not the Master,

who seemed just as content with the noise as with the Silence.

To his protesting disciples he said one day,

"Silence is not the absence of sound, but the absence of self."

~ Adyashanti

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the moment of Enlightenment everything falls away--everything. Suddenly the ground beneath you is gone, and you are alone. You are alone because you have realized that there is no other; there is only THAT, and YOU ARE THAT.

--Adyashanti

Those who don't feel this life pulling them like a river, those who don't drink dawn like a cup of springwater or take in the sunset like supper, those who don't want to change, let them sleep.

--Rumi

Be conscious of yourself, watch your mind, give it your full attention. Don't look for quick results; there may be none within your noticing. Unknown to you, your psyche will undergo a change, there will be more clarity in your thinking, charity in your feeling, purity in your behavior. You need not aim at these--you will witness the change all the same. For what you are now is the result of inattention and what you become will be the fruit of attention.

--Nisargadatta Maharaj

"The Center of my being is changeless, and where there is no change, there is not time. This, then, is forever my Reality, not something that comes and goes."

--Douglas Harding

What surfaces during meditation are residues of the past. These residues are energy localized through association of ideas--energy mobilized into fear and insecurity. Remain a witness to all this. In being the choiceless observer, attention is motiveless, and all conditioning subsides.

--Jean Klein

--------------------------------------------------------------

You personify God's message.

You reflect the King's face.

There is nothing in the universe that you are not

Everything you want, look for it within yourself--

you are that.

Rumi

--------------------------------------------------

"Is there anything I can do to make myself enlightened?"

"As little as you can do to make the sun rise in the morning."

"Then of what use are the spiritual exercises you prescribe?"

"To make sure you are not asleep when the sun begins to rise."

~ Anthony deMello, from One Minute Wisdom

We can only be afraid of what we believe we are-whatever there is in ourselves that we haven't met with understanding. If I thought you might see me as boring, for example, it would frighten me, because I haven't questioned that thought. So it's not people who frighten me, it's me that frightens me. That's my job, to frighten me, until I investigate this fear for myself. The worst that can happen is that I think you think about me what I think about myself. So I am sitting in a pool of me.

All fear is like this. It's caused by believing what you think-no more, no less. It's always the story of a future. If you want fear on purpose, get a plan. Fear is not possible when you've questioned your mind; it can be experienced only when the mind projects the story of a past into a future. The story of a past is what enables us to project a future. If we weren't attached to the story of a past, our future would be so bright, so free, that we wouldn't bother to project time. We would notice that we're already living in the future, and that it's always now.

Excerpt from A Thousand Names for Joy

Friends:

The Noble Friend!

The Buddha said:

Friends, one should cultivate the Good Friend,

who has the Seven Qualifications.

What Seven ?

He gives what is hard to give.

He does what is hard to do.

He bears what is hard to bear.

He lays open his own secrets.

He keeps other's secrets safe.

When any is needed, he never fails.

When one is ruined, he never despises.

Even though he may drive you away, keep on following him,

since such Noble is always motivated by the welfare of all,

is genial, pleasant, refined, a revealer of profound speech,

a listener who never - at any occasion - guide you wrongly..

Friendship is the Greatest !

Bhikkhu Samâhita, Sri Lanka.

• 5 months later...

The child whispered, "God, speak to me"

And a meadow lark sang.

The child did not hear.

So the child yelled, "God, speak to me!"

And the thunder rolled across the sky

But the child did not listen.

The child looked around and said,

"God let me see you" and a star shone brightly

But the child did not notice

And the child shouted,

"God show me a miracle!"

And a life was born but the child did not know.

So the child cried out in despair,

"Touch me God, and let me know you are here!"

Whereupon God reached down

And touched the child.

But the child brushed the butterfly away

And walked away unknowingly.