Sikh Film! Guru Gobind Singh

newsingh2009

What is the sangats opinion? You have all seen 300, last samurai, braveheart, troy and Gladiator. These movies have the unique ability of educating the world about religions, cultures etc. E.g. Spartans, look how much publicity 300 gave to the greeks in particular the spartans, the world never knew about their warrior history.

So what's wrong if we created a film- and when i mean film i don't been a cheapo production made in india, i mean directed by Mel Gibson, hollywood type of film with sikh directors analysing and ensuring every part of the film portrays the image of khalsa. It would cost millions yes, but our community seems to be throwing it in newly built gurdwaras which arent doing anything for the youth. Imagine just IMAGINE the impact of such a film would have to the world and it can literally change the portrayal of "these long haired bearded people" OVERNIGHT! the tens of millions would be worth it. Our community is among the wealthiest and I personally know some businessmen are willing to invest large amounts.....

what are the sangats opinions? everyone i have spoken to has said "oh no you musn't act Guru Gobind Singh" and similar narrow minded comments. What's wrong with this? Gerad Butler in 300 doesn't claim to be the real leonidis, its an act and the entire production can be done with ardas and Guru's instruction...

why don't we do this? In a few years and I would like to get to the production level at hollywood and see where we could go from there........

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing.. I'm thinking of doing the same later too.. On a smaller scale tho (Punjabi movie level, but big budget)

But a Hollywood movie would be very amazing...

But I dare to say, I am very much against some actor playing any of the Guru Sahibaans.

We should rather make movies on the later period (1708 - 1840)

Battles against Mughals, Pathans, Goras etc

What would make a cool movie would be about the Saragarhi Battle.

With the crew of 300.

Title: 21

Plot: When 21 Singhs fought 10,000 Orakzai and Pathan rebels, to the last breath.

Nice point veerji!

I personally believe, even though people might think it's wrong, the time of Guru Gobind SIngh would be so much better, there is not enough history and detail for the battle of sararghi.

the entire point would be to highlight the leader (in 300 it was leonidis, in braveheart it was william wallace) the movie would need to be based on this. That's why I thought of Guru Gobind Singh, there is so much in his life that the movie could cover.

If it came down to it and there was too much objection, then waht about playing banda singh bahadur and life after Guru Granth Sahib received Gurugaddi.

It would be perfect, setting could take similar form to 300 and the sepia imagery when the singh's were in the forests, eating bark of trees and saving the lives of hindu women.

there's no need to think small, if you are getting funding for millions of pounds, its imporatnt we do it right and it will have an everlasting effect for the sikhs, it can totally renew our reputation amongst this crisis where people associate hair and beard with terrorism!.

So many aspects can be covered, langar, shastar vidiya, devotion to shabad guru, the sacrifices e.g. bhai mati das!!

WE SHOULD COLLECTIVELY AIM TO ACHIEVE THIS IN OUR LIFETIME!! it will have so many positive benefits for our future generations. this is why I think with Guru's hukam, we should ask maharaj if we can re-act him for the benefit of our future generations

Hanji veerji,

I thought the same... Baba Banda Singh Bahadur will be good, but I think many Sikhs will oppose us, as many Sikhs even dont want Sikh Shaheeds to be portrayed (Baba Deep Singh, ...)

But we really need to make a movie in the coming 10 years :D

It will indeed have a very big impact.

What we need first is a REAL NICE story, where there is much scope for action, and above all it should be historically correct. As the youth will learn much from the film, and they shudn't learn wrong.

We shouldn't make only one film. We should make a series of films, but specifically 1 big one (Hollywood type)...

I have a story of a religious comedy in Punjabi and am writing more to it...

WJKK WJKF

"This is madness!"

"Madness ? THIS IS KHALSAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

lol seriously though i think no one should ever try to impersonate God's saints, because the only way to do that would be to meditate on God 24/7. That would be the only true way to imitate our Guru, and since nobody suitable can do that we would only be mocking our Guru. Do you think the Guru wants us to pass time watching films, or actually serving him instead.

Maybe an animated film would be good, but not real actors. But anyway forget the film, imagine being able to see the real battle, and it is possible.

I think the only way to portray Guru Gobind Singh Ji would be through different camera angles ie: a hand with a sword, or the shadow of a kalgi,arrows on a back,a horse rider maybe shown with the horses feet ,so don't show an actual person acting but show signs of the guru.Or there could be a realistic animation of the Guru, from a far shot - like the paintings we have of Guru Ji.

All in all I think a film or films should be made on Sikh History such as the Battle of Chamkaur,a film on Bluestar would be good educationaly,set in the darbar sahib complex maybe following the movements of a lone Sikh fighter or a family or gyani.Visual affects and images of Akal Thakt being bombarded would really awaken the masses of the qoum as of now we only have pictures but not an actual video of the smashed Akal Thakt, emotionally a film with tanks rolling in on a 'virtual' Darbar Sahib complex replicating june 4th - 7th 1984 would really have a different affect on Sikhs.Imagine 9/11 was not caught on any video ,go back to september 11 2001 when you 1st saw the video images and sound of a plane smashing in to a tower - remember how you felt.Now imagine if you just saw a newspaper picture of the aftermath with smoke billowing from the building and a gaping hole in the tower - the affect would be different,that is the reason i would propose a movie on Bluestar.

I would totally disagree with portraying Guru Sahib Ji or any Mahapursh Sikhs. But let us not be so narrow minded we can get our message across for imaginatively.

I have been thinking along these line and have come up with a script :

This script can bring in all our Sikh tenants, Sikh history, Sikh valour but also importantly for a modern audience, a modern contemporary twist.

Scene setting : You have a Sikh youth maybe around 20 years old, lets call him Khush. Lives in say Southall, sees all that is wrong with Sikhi going on around him, he also hangs around clubs and so on. He is disillusioned and lost his way. He stands infront of the bathroom mirror and contemplates removing his kesh, but does not.

Plot facilitator : The detail in not important but Khush get transported in time. (think of movies like BIG with tom Hanks)

Main plot : Khush realises he is not in Southall 2009, realises he is in India, 100’s of miles from Punjab and it is the year ……. 1704. He realise that Guru Ji is in human form and in the Punjab. The plot is for him to travel across India to do darshan of Guru Sahib Ji. Not only does he progress physically as he travels to Anandpur Sahib but also he grows in his confidence as a Sikh and we follow his progression spiritually into Sikhi.

He hooks up with a Portuguese Jesuit priest who treats him with contempt but lets Khush tag along as he is on his way to the Punjab for missionary work. Along the travels we see the state that India was in, how the Hindus were oppressed, how the lower castes were oppressed and how the Musslay spread fear over the masses, we see conversion and shahidees.

The Jesuit is a good plot device because Khush and the Jesuit converse and all the Sikh ideas and philosophy can be brought out. At some point Khush meets a band of Sikhs and he joins them, his initiation in to the Khalsa and the principles of Sikhism begins. He travels with them and on the way many skirmishes ensue, many battles are fought again huge odds.

We see the valour, the sacrifice the uphonding our our true values.

Because Khush is from modern times he sees everything in the perspective of how we would see it, and he can make witty comments and quips that we the audience can understand. Thing back to how Michael J Fox makes those quips and comments when he goes back in time in Back To The Future and you can see the amusing in-jokes we could have.

Anyway, he reaches Anandpur sahib and the climax of the movie. He finally, at long last reaches Guru Jis tent where they are staying. We goes inside – and here some imaginative photography is required – we never see Guru Sahib Ji, only a warm glow on the side of the screen to which Khush faces. We see the streams of tears of joy in his face and he tries to address his Guru and breaks down in gushes of tears. We see the cameras looking down at Khushvant (as if Guru Ji are looking upon him) and he is blessed. He comes out of the tent, no longer is he Khush, but Khushavant Singh. We takes charge of a band of Sikhs and goes in pursuit of the main bad guy, big battles starts.

Epilogue : He finds himself back in Southall, now he is pure Khalsa and strides out with head held up high and confidence in his step.

The end.

Good point brothers/sisters!

I just wanted to see sangats views on someone acting Guru Gobind Singh and you are right in saying the only way to serve him is to meditate on him.

That's not the point of the film however, it's a way of mass educating the public. Look how much you and me rely on media, tv, internet etc. You can't say in the time of the Guru's it had the same significance because it DIDNT!!

times have changed and media is more powerful than the sword in this day and age- kalyug. Therefore a film would be beneficial to the whole world, it can educate and improve our identity overnight, it will allow us to serve better. People will see a singh associate with the film and think "he looks like Guru Gobind Singh in the movie........ he can help!" I don't believe its paap personally, Guru Gobind Singh is within everyone of us.

Jay reece karnee apnay pravaaa deeea karloh!!!!!! Guru Gobind Singh is the king of all kings, masters of all masters. The actor would have to be a gursikh and I think this is such a good idea that my vision is just getting better and better!!

I just wish we could have all the sangat in support!!