Castes In Sikhi

Khalasthan86

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Sri Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Lately, everyone is bigging up their caste... You search Google for "Khanda", it comes up with Putt Jattan De...

And Putt Tharkan De... All that...

One day, a boy asked me what was your Jhatt (caste), I said, Singh... He said, thats your surename... I said again "My Surename/Caste is Singh", He starts going on saying, You must be a h*rami (b*sterd), to not know your caste, I'm still their saying "My surename/caste is Singh"...

Another case, people in my class, say to me, whats your surename, I tell them Singh, they said, after that... I'm like Singh...

Everyone in my class, uses their surename, its alright if a Sehajdhari uses their caste, but, the shameful thing is that the Singh uses his false-caste-surename...

Fateh,

Please tell me what I can do. :vaheguru:

This is a disease in society that must be rid, we must learn to shed thousands of years of human conditioning, assimilation and religious, cultural proselytism.

Divider we fall...

Jaat kaa garab na kar moorakh gavaaraa. Is garab te chale bahut vikaaraa

Do not be proud of your caste, you ignorant fool! So much sin and corruption comes from this pride

Guru Granth Sahib Ji Ang 1127

Pauree:

sabh ko aakhai aapanaa jis naahee so chun kadteeai ||

All call You their own, Lord; one who does not own You, is picked up and thrown away.

keethaa aapo aapanaa aapae hee laekhaa sa(n)dteeai ||

Everyone receives the rewards of his own actions; his account is adjusted accordingly.

jaa rehanaa naahee aith jag thaa kaaeith gaarab ha(n)dteeai ||

Since one is not destined to remain in this world anyway, why should he ruin himself in pride?

ma(n)dhaa kisai n aakheeai parr akhar eaeho bujheeai ||

Do not call anyone bad; read these words, and understand.

moorakhai naal n lujheeai ||19||

Don't argue with fools. ||19||

Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Aasaa on Pannaa 473

bhaekh piaaraa naahi mam varan piaaraa naahi || rehith piaaree moh ko sidhak piaaraa aahi ||45||

I have not love for appearances or for high castes. It is discipline that I love.

Rehatnama Bhai Sahib Singh Jee

jaanahu joth n pooshhahu jaathee aagai jaath n hae ||1|| rehaao ||

Recognize the Lord's Light within all, and do not consider social class or status; there are no classes or castes in the world hereafter. ||1||Pause||

Ang 349 Guru Nanak Dev Jee Raag Aasaa

Surely using your family name/surname and believing in caste/being proud of your caste are 2 totally different things?

Guru Gobind Rai Ji to Guru Gobind Singh Ji, then there would be no reason for Maharaj to get rid of this previous name. Not sure if 'Rai' is associated with a caste name, so forgive me of any ignorance.

Having your surname and not believing in the caste, still falls into division and judgement. Your most likely to be targeted a certain caste by using your surname, which can still cause unnecessary friction and judgement.

This is mainly from personal experience, doesn't mean its true to everyone.

Surely using your family name/surname and believing in caste/being proud of your caste are 2 totally different things?

please study George Orwell's 1984, and also please do research of Manu and the Indian Caste System

After this, please look at various forms of discrimination in your local society, such sources that are useful include Sikhcoalition and others

If you wish to delve further, check out the Zeitgeist movie, or research into the Genocides of history.

After doing all this, one should see a very obvious pattern. The fact that 'system's of mass control and manipulation successfully pass on to subsequent generations. This human conditioning is manipulative and continues to be imbedded in those individuals, groups, cultures that do not practice rationalism and self-discrimination (the only type of discrimination that is effective at ridding someone of habits and addictions, and external human conditioning)

Regards

After doing all this, one should see a very obvious pattern. The fact that 'system's of mass control and manipulation successfully pass on to subsequent generations. This human conditioning is manipulative and continues to be imbedded in those individuals, groups, cultures that do not practice rationalism and self-discrimination (the only type of discrimination that is effective at ridding someone of habits and addictions, and external human conditioning)

That was deep and so true brother. The Sikh community is often totally blind to this and our own parents/society will discourage the type of self-reflection you mention.

We can look at the white community for a parallel. Look at how deeply ingrained white supremacy is throughout western society. But despite this some people do reflect and combat this centuries old prejudice. It requires effort and what we see in America today shows how it can be overcome by the masses.

I'm not trying to say problems go away but we can work at a better, fairer Sikh society. It is an ongoing battle we all should be involved in, especially the youth. If we don't not only will we tear ourselves apart but also the world will make judgements about the way we "follow" our grand teachings.

Having your caste name or pind name is no bad thing.

How many Ranjit Singh's are there in the world? But there aint as much Ranjit Singh Doad's for example. Just be practical.

Using your family name doesnt mean your proud of your caste.

I use my family name, but never feel proud about it.

and Jagmeet veerji, Rai isn't a caste.

Guest fordcapri

How many Ranjit Singh's are there in the world? But there aint as much Ranjit Singh Doad's for example. Just be practical.

Agree there would too many name clashes and confusion if people didnt use thier surname. Its a choice nothing wrong

with Harminder Singh Sandu.

Theres loads of castes and tribes all over the world and in all types of Society.

Lets look at England, Brummies come from Birmingham, Cockneys come from London Scoucers come from Liverpool etc you could say thats a caste, caste can be there to identify people but shouldnt discriminate.

Agree there would too many name clashes and confusion if people didnt use thier surname. Its a choice nothing wrong

with Harminder Singh Sandu.

Theres loads of castes and tribes all over the world and in all types of Society.

Lets look at England, Brummies come from Birmingham, Cockneys come from London Scoucers come from Liverpool etc you could say thats a caste, caste can be there to identify people but shouldnt discriminate.

Finally someone who agrees :D lol