India...kirpan....airport?

Guest gupt moorakh

Guest gupt moorakh

wjkk wjkf

i am going to india first time since being an amritdhari. i am worried about my kirpan. my flights 12 hours and therefore i wont be eating all this time. has anyone else been in same situation? what do u do? i will have plenty of stuf such as ipod with kirtan and bani on, but im worried about not eating. will i get away with wearing a smaller kirpan in my gatra?

HELP please.

:nishaan_sahib_right:

Guest _kirpan_

they will check your dastar with metal detectors.

you could wear a tiny one (although under a certain size, i dont think it can be really classed as a kirpan)

or just dont eat, ten hours really isnt that long

Harvinder Singh, please do not give wrong advice if you clearly do not know the law of kirpans via travelling.

No kirpans are allowed when you are travelling. This also includes anything that looks like a kirpan (ie. dull or not sharp), and even sometimes necklaces (sometimes they chek to see if it is sharp). Gursikhs travel by plane all the time, one must do ardas and put their kirpan in their "CHECK-IN" luggage (do NOT put it in your carry on luggage).

Remember to do all the above things as if you dont, you wont have any other option but to leave your kakkar with the airport authorities or check it in as an item which would be beadbi to your kakkars.

In regards to eating while you have your kakkars off. There is not hukam on this by guru saahib, but it is upto one owns sharda and pyaar. Kakkar is part of us, so some think that we should not eat or drink while we are seperated. I believe that should not be the case as guru saahib has instructed us to be 'fully tyaar' and not eating hence being WEAK is NOT the way to go.

Just my two cents .. hope that helps :)

take some almonds cashews, other dry nuts in your handbag. get bottled water on the flight. this should keep you going for the trip.

but do check if there is a problem with taking dry foods as snakcs in your handbag, just to be on the safe side.

its very commendable that you're not going to eat while separated fom your kakaars.

you can't eat without your kirpan on? since when did that become a rule in Sikhi? I'm asking this genuinely ... I've never heard this in my life.

why can you do everything else without your kirpan on? I mean while on the plane, you'll use the toilet, you'll talk to people, you'll sign documents, you'll read stuff, you'll wak, you'll pick your hand luggage up etc etc ... all without your kirpan on ... what's the difference when it comes to food?

wjkk wjkf

i am going to india first time since being an amritdhari. i am worried about my kirpan. my flights 12 hours and therefore i wont be eating all this time. has anyone else been in same situation? what do u do? i will have plenty of stuf such as ipod with kirtan and bani on, but im worried about not eating. will i get away with wearing a smaller kirpan in my gatra?

HELP please.

:nishaan_sahib_right:

Some Panj Pyaaray give Hukam to people that if they ever have to take off their Kirpaan for air travel they can but before taking off the Kirpaan you have to do Ardaas and then not eat or drink anything until your Kirpaan is back on your body. Once you arrive at the destination, put your Kirpaan on as soon as possible and do Ardaas. Some Panj Pyaaray, in particular Singhs from Damdami Taksaal, also say that one should do a Japji Sahib da Paath once your Kirpaan is back (before you eat anything).

Now some ask, why all this hassle? The simple reason is pyaar for your kakkaars. You cannot help but comply with such strict rules and regulations and security checks. You cannot escape but take off your Kirpaan in this extreme case. Yes, it would be nice if Sikhs pressure the government for allowing Kirpaans on flights, but this will take time and patience.

To not eat or drink when one's kakaar is off the body is all to keep your mind attuned to Guru Maharaaj. It is a personal response to your Kakaars and Guru jee. To recite an extra Baanee when you get your Kakaars back on your body is also a personal response to strengthen your mind and boost your spirit (after you have been 8 or 12 hours without your Kirpaan).

This is NOT a new maryada. When Puraatan Singhs used to go to battle they would undoubtedly sometimes lose their Dastaar, Keski, Kangha etc. Elders in Punjab told me that the Puraatan Gursikhs and even Rehitvan Nihang Singhs of today, do not eat or dirink anything until they have all their kakaars on their body. Until they find a Kangha to put in their Kesh or find a Kirpaan they will not rest or eat anything. It is a state of mind and a personal response to Guru Jee and how your express your love.

What to do in long flight?

Take food with you to the airport. Before your checkin your luggage, go and sit down in the airport somewhere and eat the food you have brought with you and drink something. So perhaps take some parothay and sabjee and drink lots of water. Once you have filled yourself up then do Ardaas either in disable toilet or stand to the side somewhere and then put Kirpaan in your main luggage. Then check it in. If you are unsure about when you will be able to eat when you arrive at your destination then pack some factory packed food items into your main luggage and eat when you arrive (e.g. crisp, chocolates or something. you have to be careful what foods you take to a country so the safe option is factory packed foods like chocolates and biscuits etc).

im not giving wrong advice as i just came bk with a 4 inch kirpan and baaj in my dastaar and they said nothing at all it even beeped but nothing was said. fateh

Which airport was this at? In the UK ????

One thing is that if you hide your Kirpaan and go to the airport you may be lucky and get through. BUT if you get caught then that will mean that they will ask you to remove your Dastaar and Keski in a private room and they will take off your Kirpaan from you. This will mean that they will SUSPECT EVERY GURSIKH from then onwards and perhaps randomly ask Singhs to remove their Dastaar (in a private room). We must be careful that our actions don't affect our fellow Gursikh brothers and sisters.