Daya Singh Of Australia, Visiting St. Louis

S1ngh

I still do love Dya Singhs cds and stuff.. but maybe there should be lil limit on it.. Rest is all fine though..

Got this from forwarding email

----

Dear Gursikho,

I like to bring to your attention the following:

A Sikh named Daya Singh from Australia performed a consort in St. Louis, Gandhi Bhavan, in which he sang Punjabi lok geet, Hindi film songs and also sang Shabads from siri Guru Garanth Sahib Ji tonight. I have never heard any Sikh singing Shabads from Guru Garanth sahib je at the same time and in local pop music, He was clapping during the Shabads himself and encouraging others to clap as well. I took it as an insult to the Guru Shabad. I could listen only for a while but I could not sit there. lost my cool. I went to the stage and told him to stop it, enough is enough. Singing Gurbani from this stage in this format is not appropriate.He did not stop instead told me to sit down and do not disturb. Lot of Sikhs were sitting on Chairs infront of him. He was at a higher stage from the rest of the audience. He continued . I moved aside only to here him singing guru Nanak Dev ji's Shabad again......... Jao tao Prem Khelan Ka choou, ...... and invited four others to volunteer to him as Did Guru Gobind Singh je .... I will be the fifth one to sing the Jakara or what else.... I lost my temper and shouted at him to stop it stop it, I will not allow this kind of insult to continue. At this time couple of other persons got up and the consort was stopped.

Evidently he is very popular among some Sikhs and others, because of his music and musical instruments . He proudly says that he has done Shabads at different places and among large crowds in wh

ich many Sikhs had participated, no one has objected rather liked and encouraged him. He was telling others that he does not need instructions from a rude Sikh, he knows how and where to sing Gurbani.......

I think he is traveling in US at this time and will be visiting other places. I would like all Gursikhs to think it over..... do we want this kind of insult to GurShabad ,,, equating GurShabad and bring to the level of street pop songs...., and he continue to even perform Kirtan in Gurdwaras..... this is one of the reason we are away from local Gurdwaras, and there are two in three in St.. Louis.... I suggest that we watch him. ................ If you see him repeating such nonsense than please speak up and let him know this is not going to be tolerated. Rather I suggest he may not be allowed to do kirtan in Gurdwaras. To my understanding he is a DISGRACE being Sikh,

I was called a RUDE SIKH tonight.... and am out of touch and out dated. I should go and see in African Churches how they sing and be tuned to the God....

I am feeling uncomfortable to write names of some of the Sikhs who were present in this consort and clapping during and after the Gurshabads were being sung. I do not remember songs like ..... Savan AAio re AAIO.., and other Hindi Songs which I don't care.... I am not trying to object him singing Songs and doing Consort... He can do it what ever way he chooses , .... But he cannot and must not be allowed to Sing Gurbani Shabads while singing Hindi songs at the same time and on a pop music setting....

I am told he has one other performance in Gandhi Bhavan on 29th. in St. Louis. Hope he will not repeat this mistake again If He does than Guru Rakha...

I hope and pray that no Gurdwara society allow him to do kirtan in Gurdwara premises. I am sure he has no love for the Guru rather a Manmatia , so are few on his admirers and supporters and sponsors......... ?????

Thanks for your time .. please do take a note of him if yo

u happen to now he is in your neighborhood.

Thanks

PPSingh

St. Louis, Missouri

vaheguroo jee

yes i can confirm this...he does keertan lke that, and he acts like its a concert and he's a performer....i remember one time, he hassaid.." and my next number is"..this isnt a concert where u label a shabad as a "number" thastis just plain disrespectful to Guru's word...if he had respect he would know better than that..i despise his keertan and refuse to listen to it, or support him in any way wat so ever...

just my two cents..

bull chuk maff

vaheguroo je

Guest SikhForLife

well.. whatever he does.. only God knows...

his ways maybe be a little off or untraditional .. but i still think he explains well...

but i dont think this kind of thing should be in a GW..

this was a concert hall u say.........

Another Email debates on this topic...

===============

I along with my wife exactly had the similar feelings when we heard him in June, 2001 in a Church in Virginia, suburbs of Washington, D.C. I met Ms. Shyron Kaur Singh, the famous

person who adores Dya while attending the program. He was singing usual stuff, songs, kirtan, some filmi tunes as has explained by Mr. P.P.Singh Sahib. People were clapping (with Shabads), which he was encouraging the audience to do. He was singing the same Shabad (<copy><paste>Jao tao Prem Khelan Ka choou) and was introducing his group in between the lines. This clearly was insult of the Gurbani. This was not tolerable for us. This was the last program of Dya Singh we attended.

We invited Dya Singh to come to our small town of Roanoke, Virginia in August 2000 along with Dheeraj, who plays Tabla in his group. We did Kirtan in Shantiniketan Hindu Temple (www.shantiniketantemple.com), the place we usually rent and do our monthly Kirtan programs in the hall. Some people might not like this, but we do not have a Gurdwara building at this time. We did SGGS Prakash, did Kirtan, Ardas as we always do.

There were no songs, everyone covered their heads, was sitting on the floor. This was followed with Langar.

Dya Singh is targeting the Sikh youths all over and sees his acceptance to this group the most. He frequently visits youth camps to accomplish this. I can also add that our future generations who live in western countries, like him a lot, in part because these individuals do not know much about our history and customs. Dya Singh can influence these by

speaking good English and explaining the Kirtan and

our Maryada to what they want to hear.

Gur Fateh.

===============

Mr.Singh

Sat Sri Akaal

I think you have spread the wrong message to the world , Dya Singh is truly a devoted and talented Sikh and he has inspired many Sikh youth to appreciate bani and to be proud of our Sikh identity .He had also got many to take Amrit too , and he plays an active role in Nawjawan Samelan programmes in Australia, UK , USA , Singapore , Malaysia and many other cities.

Maybe you do not know him personally and this could had been your first acquaintance , if you had met him before the concert , I am sure you would not have allowed the beans in your pocket to pop you up.

Please know your man before you jump the gun in future. He is just a Gurbani loving Gursikh , who gave up his lucrative accountancy profession in Adelaide , Australia , to preach Gurbani to Sikhs and NON Sikhs are the world, maybe his style is different from those you are accustomed with.

Phul Chuk Maaf Karna

Joe Mahinder Singh Sohi

Malaysia

===============

Guest SikhForLife

day singh came to a camp i attend a few years ago (but i didnt go taht year) from what i herd from my peers.. everyone was cool with him..and he influenced a lot the kids to start listenin to gurbani..

i am not defending his ways

but what if the ppl clapping to keertan at the concert where white? they dont know better.. so... we cant blame dya singh for it

People were clapping (with Shabads), which he was encouraging the audience to do

was he really? .. or is this "spiced-up" ??

filmi tunes? hes not the only one veerji.. too many others do it too