For All Those Who Say That A Bibi Cant Serve Langar And Must Stay Only In The Kitchen

TejiKaur

ਬਲਵੰਡ

बलवंड खीवी नेक जन जिसु बहुती छाउ पत्राली ॥

Balvand kẖīvī nek jan jis bahuṯī cẖẖā▫o paṯrālī.

Balwand says that Khivi, the Guru's wife, is a noble woman, who gives soothing, leafy shade to all.

ਲੰਗਰਿ

लंगरि दउलति वंडीऐ रसु अम्रितु खीरि घिआली ॥

Langar ḏa▫ulaṯ vandī▫ai ras amriṯ kẖīr gẖi▫ālī.

She distributes the bounty of the Guru's Langar; the kheer - the rice pudding and ghee, is like sweet ambrosia.

ਗੁਰਸਿਖਾ

गुरसिखा के मुख उजले मनमुख थीए पराली ॥

Gursikẖā ke mukẖ ujle manmukẖ thī▫e parālī.

The faces of the Guru's Sikhs are radiant and bright; the self-willed manmukhs are pale, like straw.

ਪਏ

पए कबूलु खसम नालि जां घाल मरदी घाली ॥

Pa▫e kabūl kẖasamm nāl jāʼn gẖāl marḏī gẖālī.

The Master gave His approval, when Angad exerted Himself heroically.

<A class=dict onmouseover="ddrivetip('imāṯā /i 1. mother. 2. In toxicated', 250)" onmouseout=hideddrivetip() href="http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਮਾਤਾ" ;>ਮਾਤਾ ਖੀਵੀ ਸਹੁ ਸੋਇ ਜਿਨਿ ਗੋਇ ਉਠਾਲੀ ॥੩॥

माता खीवी सहु सोइ जिनि गोइ उठाली ॥३॥

Māṯā kẖīvī saho so▫e jin go▫e uṯẖālī. ||3||

Such is the Husband of mother Khivi; He sustains the world. ||3||

Dhan Mata Khivi Ji

this is y my heart hurts when in India never here thank God but when i go on vacation i am stopped from doing seva since im a girl and told it is anti sikhi and girls doing sewa encourages bad thoughts from men

waheguru ji we have drited so far from the Sikhi our Gurus gave us

whatever happened to the piaar the way that everything used to be run with kindness and compassion

the way the Gurudwara used to b a shelter a cool shade

dont get me wrong as long as Guru ji is there and Gurubani is there we always have shelter

but we must work our way around politics and beadbei

once again i am referring mostluy to india

where poor people are thrown out of langars

n there r still gurudwaras with 4 doors one for each caste

waheguru ji please bless sada panth

For All Those Who Say That A Bibi Cant Serve Langar And Must Stay Only In The Kitchen

I'm surprised at this post .. does that really happen ..?? i personally haven't experienced/heard of any such thing but if it does happen then it is really saddening.. out of curiosity may i ask in what part of india is this happening ..??

I'm surprised at this post .. does that really happen ..?? i personally haven't experienced/heard of any such thing but if it does happen then it is really saddening.. out of curiosity may i ask in what part of india is this happening ..??

Gurufateh g

its hapening in the Gurudwaras which are in punjab mostly or other rural parts of india

ive expirienced it once at Manikaran Sahib where someone told me that girl belong in the kitchen, once at the kar seva langer at Hazur Sahib (the main langer let me do it) and than a couple of times in the gurudwaras that are more or less in the pind

its like ppl will say o a girls place is in the kitchen

n then when i bring up sikhi they just shrug it off or tell me to take it up with the jathedhar

its never like a granthi but its always an unpar (sorry i know thats mean) ill say ignorent man who thinks hes the boss of things

once someone went as far as to say that i will inspire lustful thoughts in the sangat

i mean come on thats just ridicoulous and those who have lustful thoughts in sadh sangat will have lustful thoughts everywhere and they need to work that problem out themselves

its so ridicoulous and the crazy thing is that when i go to india even tho i was born in america i usually wear suits n speak punjabi

if i were to play the america card they wud change thier mind but that seems so pathetic to me

Gurufateh g

its hapening in the Gurudwaras which are in punjab mostly or other rural parts of india

ive expirienced it once at Manikaran Sahib where someone told me that girl belong in the kitchen, once at the kar seva langer at Hazur Sahib (the main langer let me do it) and than a couple of times in the gurudwaras that are more or less in the pind

its like ppl will say o a girls place is in the kitchen

n then when i bring up sikhi they just shrug it off or tell me to take it up with the jathedhar

its never like a granthi but its always an unpar (sorry i know thats mean) ill say ignorent man who thinks hes the boss of things

once someone went as far as to say that i will inspire lustful thoughts in the sangat

i mean come on thats just ridicoulous and those who have lustful thoughts in sadh sangat will have lustful thoughts everywhere and they need to work that problem out themselves

its so ridicoulous and the crazy thing is that when i go to india even tho i was born in america i usually wear suits n speak punjabi

if i were to play the america card they wud change thier mind but that seems so pathetic to me

yeah i mean i may agree if it has happened to you in a pind but we cannot generalize things .. its the oldies in the pind who may do it once in a while ... forgive them, for they are ignorant .. but really there are no such restrictions and the guy who made remarks about the lustful thoughts might have found you really beautiful .... :LOLz: .. :lol: :D :) .. just laugh it off ..

i went to local gurdwara and sat on left side and people were staring at me and then i was told left side is for bibis and babas sit on right side. and i thought i was in developed world. things were definitly better in my backward third world pind. but then there is also plenty of male black sheep among us who need to be roasted which is the reason for this kind of segregation.

i went to local gurdwara and sat on left side and people were staring at me and then i was told left side is for bibis and babas sit on right side. and i thought i was in developed world. things were definitly better in my backward third world pind. but then there is also plenty of male black sheep among us who need to be roasted which is the reason for this kind of segregation.

Veerji, I think your example is not exactly what TejiKaur was referring to. Having men and women sit on different sides is in no way disrespecting either, or saying either is inferior to the other. The "segregation" that you are referring to is to maintain a calm, quite atmosphere in the sangat, and allow one to immerse themselves in the kirtan/gurbani without distraction.

Bhenji (TejiKaur), it is with great embarrassment that I read your story. It is very sad that these thoughts and actions that women are inferior and belong in the kitchen etc. still take place, even after our Guruji has told us that man and women are equal. Please do not let it get you down, and always remain in Chardi Kala spirit.