New Nihangsingh.org Biography

valli singh

Valli Singh the biography of Baba Santa Singh Ji is informative but very brief. I wish o know more about their sucession to the Buddha Dal Gaddi as i have heard it was taken by force as Baba Santa Singh Ji issued a challange to anyone who wanted the gaddi to prepare for a dual. This is what all the nihangs have said so far. Also the obvious things missing are the issues of 1984, the period when Baba Ji was excommunicated and their personal hukams given to the nihang jathebandi

Yes Veerji,

You are right, it was a contested succession in which other proponents opposed Babaji's succession,

we however have chosen to focus on the spiritual aspects of his life for inspirational and celebratory reasons and have therefore excluded such controversies that others have already elucidated upon elsewhere (whether rightly or wrongly).

And also just to add to that,

it was and is well known amongst Singhs in Hazur Sahib

especially around Gurdwara Mata Sahib Devi, Baba Mitt Singh Boonga etc,

that Baba Santa Singh would be Jathedar eventually as since he was a mere youth,

Mahapurukhs like Baba Mitt Singh ji and Baba Dharam Singh ji had said that he would

be leader and chief pacharak of the Panth in due time, so from that time he had an almost legendary status and was greatly respected, and when he met Baba Chet Singh ji he was all the more respected and it was inferred many a time that he would succeed him as Jathedar,

The row over his jathedhari was started by rival camps and their proponents, but similar rows occured even over the succession of Baba Sahib Singh Kaladhari--which again Baba Mitt Singh ji all-knowingly resolved based on Sri Akal Purukh's hukam and so the tradition of reffering to older mahapurukhs is then well established by Babaji's time.

And as I said, we would be hard pressed in any jathebandi to point to a calm, unrivalled succession do to the ankhar of dusshts as can be evidenced by Balbir Singh's sham succession, but then again, there is a clearcut difference between someone standing on a rooftop and proclaiming themself jathedar as Balbir has done, and having all the misals, jathas, etc formally ratify someone as chief as has now been done with Jathedar Baba Surjit Singh ji and Jathedar Baba Joginder Singh ji.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Valli Singh great site! The jeevani you have posted on Babaji in my opinion should have a note placed at the bottom stating that, “controversies such as Babaji being excommunicated from the Khalsa Panth, their role in 1984 and the Sikh Liberation Movement has been excluded but has been elucidated elsewhere <link> for inspirational and celebratory reasons”. This is to ensure that everyone can arrive at their own conclusions after studying both sides.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Thank You Brother,

I however am of the opinion that people already have their minds made up about Babaji before they read his jivan sakhi--which is perfectly fine as he was a polarizing figure due to many political/media machinations, but as this site is free from any such slants or negativity I think that all is fine as it now stands.

Brother Valli Singh,

Ignoring the events of 1984 is a grave mistake on your part, whilst writing the jeevani, you should not overlook parts which hold great significance. Instead you should explain, as much as you can, explaining their actions.

From a personal point, whenever I hear of "Baba Santa Singh" the first things that come to mind are the events of 1984, perhaps due to the fact that it was the events of 1984 and the Sikh Liberation Movement that made me more interested in Sikhi, as is the case which many others.

So I would like to request to you, to write about the "controversial" issues so that if my opinon on Baba Santa Singh is wrong then I can learn from whatever you have to say.

To quote you on saying "I however am of the opinion that people already have their minds made up about Babaji before they read his jivan sakhi"

We can only be opinionated about individuals with the knowledge we hold, so if you can help us further by telling us more, then our opinions will also reflect on those facts you provide.