Akj Uk Vaisakhee Smagam

s50

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa | Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh |

Akhand Keertanee Jatha humbly request your presence to join in with Gurus Saadh Sangat in celebrating the 310th Anniversary Of The Khalsa.

With Guru Sahibs blessings Gursikhs from all over will be attending.

Details of the Annual Vaisakhi Akhand Keertan Smaagam

Thur 09th April, 2009:

6pm-9:30pm: Akhand Keertan

Gurdwara Shri Guru Singh Sahba, 47-49 Cross Road, Coventry, CV6 5GR

Fri 10th April, 2009:

6am-10am: Asa Ki Vaar

Fri 10th April, 2009:

6pm-10pm: Akhand Keertan

Gurdwara Guru Nanak Gurdwara 8 Edward Street West Bromwich B70 8NP

Tel: 0121 553 1242

Sat 11th April, 2009:

6am-11am: Asa Ki Vaar

Sat 11th April, 2009:

6pm-12am (midnight): Akhand Keertan

Guru Nanak Gurdwara, 128-130 High Street, Smethwick, B66 3AP

Sun 12th April, 2009:

8am-12pm: Akhand Keertan followed by Nishan Sahib di Seva at 12pm

Sun 12th April, 2009:

7pm-5am: Raensabaayee Keertan

Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Well Lane, Wolverhampton, WV11 1XT

Amrit Sanchar during Raensabaayee - Sun 12th April, 2009

Transport

Southall – Bh Satnam Singh: 07956 519256

Manchester – Bh Mandeep Singh: 07791 775671

Birmingham - Bh Bhupinder Singh: 07725 973836

Coventry - Bh Taranjit Singh: 07877 888874

Hitchin - Bh Nachitar Singh: 07828 253496

Derby - Bh Ajeet Singh: 07533 362911

East London - Bh Upkar Singh: 07747 770156

Bradford - Bh Kamaljeet Singh: 07971 185457

Glasgow - Bh Manjeet Singh: 07833 491570

Southshields - Bh Karnail Singh: 07801 431855

post-20647-1238578363_thumb.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-20647-1238596942.jpg

Shaheed Bhai Raghbir Singh Ji was born in the village of Bhagupur in Patti in the district of Amritsar on 10th March 1949 at the house of Sardar Nawab Singh. He was educated in his own village up to the age of fifteen and then joined the army in the Bombay Engineering Group in Kirki, Puna. He stayed on for five years, then resigned from the Army in 1968 and moved to Patiala.

I first met Bhai Raghbir Singh on 14th December 1966 in Kirki, Puna, when I was doing my army service and was being transferred from Sagar (Madh Pradesh) to Training Battalion Number I, Bombay Engineering Group. I was working as an office clerk and Bhai Sahib was an engine fitter, but being a religious person he was appointed to be Sewadar at the Gurdwara. The weekly Kirtan programmes in Puna were being performed under the control of Professor Beant Singh ji, and I used to take Bhai Raghbir Singh with me to the Kirtan Smagams. I also kept a tape recorder with me on which I had recorded the Kirtan of Bhai Mohinder Singh ji, Bhai joginder Singh Talwara and many other Bibian, which we used to listen to everyday. Other Gursikhs also used to come and Bhai Sahib was greatly influenced by the Bani and Kirtan, so much so that he learnt the Nitnem Banis by memory within a few days and started wearing the Panj Kakkars.

One day he said to me, "I would like to do Darshan of the Gursikhs whose Kirtan you have played to me and would like to have the gift of Amrit Naam from the Panj Pyare". I replied that he should go before the Panj Pyare at the Ludhiana Smagam during Vaisakhi and he will be blessed. He told me that I should also take leave and accompany him. At that time my permanent residence was in Ludhiana.

Bhai Raghbir Singh was having difficulty in obtaining leave but said that he would definitely go to Ludhiana during Vaisakhi. I managed to get two months leave and we both went to Professor Beant Singh as he had good connections with the officers. He phoned Bhai Raghbir Singh's officer to ask if he could have permission for ten days leave. Within an hour his leave was granted and we both left by train on 9th April 1967 and arrived at Ludhiana on 11th April at Amrit Vela. On the day of Vaisakhi, Bhai Raghbir Singh went before the Panj Pyare and received the gift of Amrit-Naam and became very strict in his Rehat.

Bhai Raghbir Singh did not go to his village but returned to Puna. When I returned after my two months leave he was very pleased to see me. I also felt blessed by Guru Sahib to meet such a beloved of the Guru. Bhai Raghbir Singh never slept after twelve o'clock. He would have his Ishnaan and would then continue doing Naam Simran until sunrise. Within a short period of time he memorized Nitnem, Sukhmani Sahib, Asa Di Vaar, Basant Kee Vaar, Sateh Balwandai Kee Vaar, Shabad Hazari Pathshahi Dasvi, Swaya 'Deenan Ki Prithpal', Chopai 'Pranvo Aad',Akal Ustat, Baramaha Maj and Tukari, Solak Mahalia Nauvi, Gujri Kee Vaar Mahalia Panjma and many other Banis which he used to recite daily. He used to prepare his food with his own hands, but this was not allowed in the army, so he had to stop making his own food. In those days, I used to live with my Singhni and I asked him to eat at our house.Bhai Sahib kept sarbloh bibek as well as other strict khalsa rehats.

Bhai Gurbachan Singh Ji who lived in Puna arranged an Akhand Path at his home from 23rd December 1967 to 25th December 1967. With Akal Purkh's Grace, Bhai Raghbir Singh listened to the whole Akhand Path cross-legged in one sitting without any food or water. After the Bhog, he also listened to six hours of Kirtan in the same sitting. He did not seem to feel any tiredness. He also used to do Kirtan for many hours by memory and was a very competent Akhand Paathi.

After a little while Bhai Raghbir Singh wanted to leave the military service and his elder brother Captain Pyara Singh managed to discharge him and advised him to take over the farming work in their village because there was nobody else around to do the work. Bhai Raghbir Singh replied that he was not returning to his village because the environment there was not right and by going home he would loose everything. Professor Beant Singh and I decided to send him to the Sura Printing Press in Patiala because a vacancy had arisen for a compositor.

Bhai Raghbir Singh started work at the press at sixty Rupees a month where he always made his own food, and afterwards he moved to work for the Parkash Printing Press. Bhai Raghbir Singh had always been very interested in studying. He would study and do his Nitnem daily and work all day at the press. He found all this difficult, so he left his job and concentrated on his Naam Simran and studies from 1968-1973. At this time Gurmat Parchar was being carried out in the area. Bhai Raghbir Singh and Bhai Fauja Singh would carry out the Sewa of the Panj Pyare during the Amrit Sanchar Smagams.

Bhai Raghbir Singh spent a lot of time with Bhai Manohar Singh Ji of the Red Cross and Bhai Surjeet Singh Ji in Patiala. He also spent some time with me in Ludhiana doing his studies.

Bhai Raghbir Singh always spoke very sweetly and was a very sociable person. At Amrit Vela he would do Naam Abyass for many hours and it would sound as if many Gursikhs were sitting together. Many people were influenced by his Jivan and became Gursikhs. Bhai Raghbir Singh always used to share his earnings with others. After the Bhog of the Paath following his Shaheedi, one Gursikh remembered him by saying that a Gursikh should share one-tenth of his earnings with others, but Bhai Sahib used to live on one-tenth of his earnings and spend the rest on religious causes.

His Anand Karaj took place on 18th October 1975 to Bibi Hardev Kaur, daughter of Captain Sardar Ram Singh (retired), from the village of Batala in Karputhla. This Anand Karaj was also unique in that he himself, his father and four other Gursikhs were present and there were no musicians or any milni. Bibi Ji was also very strict in her Rehat and Bhai Sahib became even more influenced with Bibi Ji's Sangat and started wearing Bana. Bhai Raghbir Singh lived in Sunam for three and quarter years. Due to his efforts, Rainsbhai Kirtans were held there every year.

Bhai Raghbir Singh travelled from Sunam to be present at the Akhand Kirtani Jatha Vaisakhi Smagam. When he heard what the Nirankaris were doing on the birthday of the Khalsa and bearing in mind the Guru's Hukkam of 'Gur Ki Ninda Suneh Na Kaan' he went forward barefooted to face the bullets, sticks and swords. He received bullets to his chest, blows to his skull and his bones were broken by lathis, but just like Bhai Avtar Singh Ji, he obtained Shaheedi in Chardi-Kala.

Jio Jal Meh Aey Katana

Thi Jothi Sang Jot Smana

(Sukhmani Sahib, Mahalia 5, Panna 278)

He left behind his wife and two children, one whose age were one and half years and the other only five months at the time of his Shaheedi. Both are now married to young Gursikhs in UK. Bibi Hardev Kaur Ji is employed by Punjab and Sind Bank.

By Bhai Kirpal Singh Ji (Shapur, Amballa)

post-20647-1238660364.jpg

Shaheed Bhai Kewal Singh Ji was born on 9th March 1953, in the area of Premgarh in Hoshiarpur. His father's name was Sardar Amar Singh and his mother's name was Satia Kaur. He spent the first five to seven years of his childhood in Hoshiarpur and in 1960 moved to Calcutta with his father. His father ran a transport company in Calcutta, which was doing quite well. Here, he was put into school but he only passed four classes. His family tried to persuade him to continue studying but he was more interested in working. So in 1966 he went to Kishan Ganj (Bihar) to train in motor electrics, where he trained for a year and then returned to Calcutta.

As well as working he also became interested in reading Gurbani and in 1971-72 he received Amrit at an Akhand Kirtani Jatha Smagam. After completing his training he did not find a job but just did domestic work. One day he became seriously ill, he was vomiting blood and remained unconscious for three days. He was administered eighteen bottles of blood and seven bottles of glucose and the doctors said there was

little hope for him. But Waheguru has some other Sewa in store for him and protected him with his own hand. Bhai Sahib Jeevan Singh Ji Ragi from Ludhiana performed Ardas for him and he became well again. He then moved from Calcutta to Hoshiarpur and here he met Gursikh Sangat.

We both decided to learn Shashtar-Vidya (science of weapons) and we used to travel seven miles everyday to get training. With Satguru's grace we both acquired this skill. He knew the five Nitnem Banis by memory and also did Asa Di Vaar and Sukhmani Sahib daily as well as some other Banis.

One day, he became ill again at his home in Hoshiarpur and he started getting bad pains in his stomach. His mother said that she would call a doctor but he told his younger sister to start reading Sukhmani Sahib instead. He listened to the Gurbani for two or three hours and then fell asleep, and in the morning he awoke feeling completely well again. This is an example of his love and faith in Gurbani.

At his father's request, he went to Calcutta again to do some domestic work. He also spent a lot of his time reading Gurbani and living amongst other Gursikhs. According to God's Will, he again became very ill and started vomiting blood. His body became very weak and there was not much chance of him surviving. Bhai Kewal told me later, that when he was in this state he saw death standing in front of him and he prayed to Guru Sahib, "Sache Patshah Jeo, I know I am going to die one day, but do not give me this kind of death. This is the death of cats and dogs. Let me become a Shaheed in the battlefield so that I may get Mukhti from life and death. May my body be used for doing Sewa for you." He did this Ardas for a long time and Satguru Ji heard his Ardas and he then became well again.

He was very interested in Shastar-Vidya and Shastars. For example if he came across any Shastar he liked he would buy it no matter what the price and would read the following Dohira.

As kirpan khando karg, tupak tabor ar theer,

Saif sarohi sethi yehe hamarai peer

Theer tuhi sethi tuhi, tuhi tabor tarwar

Naam thuharo jo japai, pheo sind pav poor

Kaal tuhi kaali tuhi, tuhi teg ur teer,

Tuhi nishani jeet ki, aaj tuhi jag beer

(Shastar Mala, Pathshahi 10)

He not only learned Gathka, but also learned how to make his own Shastars. He would spend hours making them and would take them to Smagams and present them to Gursikhs as gifts. He also would teach Gursikhs how to look after Shastars properly, to ensure the Khalsa is always battle-ready.

Just as he was interested in Shastars, he also had a great love for Naam-Bani. If he did make any remarks to somebody in anger, then he would immediately beg forgiveness with folded hands. He very much loved his fellow Gursikhs. Sometimes his family members would ask him why he spends all his time with

the Gursikhs and does no other work. His family owned a large amount of property, but he still lived a very carefree life and was not at all interested in money. Once I said to him that you don't do any work, nor do you listen to any of your family, so they will not give any of their property to you. He replied that he did not need any property - what use would it be to him. He said he wanted to spend all his time with Gursikhs.

In November 1977 he again returned to Hoshiarpur. The Gursikhs would ask him to do some work so about two months prior to his Shaheedi, he started working. He promised that he would serve langar to the Singhs out of his first wages, but he was never able to carry out this Sewa. Afterwards his family carried out his wish and served Langar to Gursikhs.

Bhai Kewal Singh also enjoyed playing the tabla and performing Kirtan. Ten minutes before his Shaheedi, I saw him in Chardi-Kala. Bhai Fauja Singh and Bhai Kewal Singh were together during the peaceful protest. First Bhai Fauja Singh was shot and fell and then Bhai Kewal Singh lied on top of him so that the Nirankaris could not injure him further. But the Nirankaris then killed Bhai Kewal Singh.

Bhai Kewal Singh has one elder brother Bhai Jagjeet Singh who is a devoted Gursikh and Nitnemi and three sisters who are married. Even though his loss for the family is great, his Kurbani is a great example for future generations.

By Bhai Amrik Singh (Mehta)

post-20647-1238749055.jpg

Shaheed Bhai Gurcharan Singh Ji was born at the house of Bhai Daleep Singh Ji, an agricultural inspector and Narain Kaur on 10th October 1946 in Rurka Korad in Jullunder. Bhai Daleep Singh was transferred to Ludhiana when Gurcharan Singh was about three years old, and the whole family took Amrit at Narangwal. Bhai Gurcharan Singh's father, Bhai Daleep Singh was one of the close associates of Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji.

Bhai Gurcharan Singh's primary education was in Gidarwaha, Tehsil Mukhtsar and he studied up to the ninth class at Nathana in Batinda. He passed his tenth class in his village Nangal, Tehsil Moga at Guru Nanak High School and then left studying to do farming. In 1965 he was admitted into the Agricultural University and after passing his exams he was employed in Malowal (Ferozpur) in 1967 and in a block in Ferozpur in 1968. Then he started doing government service and was sent to Hargobindpur in Gurdaspur. In 1972 he left this and in 1973 was again employed by the Punjab Agricultural University.

The young Gursikh enjoyed doing Langar Sewa of the Sangat during Smagams and would never get tired of doing Sewa day and night. From a young age he enjoyed going to the Sangat to listen to Kirtan and would always sit right in front of the Kirtani Gursikhs. He would go around the houses to call youngsters who were interested in listening to Kirtan and would sit them on the front and rear of his bicycle and take them to join the Sangat.

With Guru Ji's Grace he learnt the Nitnem of the Panj Banis by memory in his seventh class, and when he went to the village of Nangal in Faridkhot he would do the Sewa of reading Sukhmani Sahib at the Gurdwara Sahib at Amrit Vela. Bhai Gurcharan Singh never had any bad feelings for anyone and if some person did not speak to him due to some differences then he would personally go around to their house and humbly talk to them.

Once when he was about five or six years old the whole family went to Narangwal to meet Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh. Everybody lovingly embraced Bhai Sahib and Bhai Sahib picked up all the children. When his turn came he embraced Bhai Sahib in such a way that he would not let go of him and they did Naam Simran together for a long time.

He would help the needy without any hesitation and used to take responsibility of Sewa of sending food to patients in hospital in the morning and evening. His would do this Sewa twice a day, go to work and would go to study in evening classes and also found time to come and join the Sangat. He had a very close and loving relationship with Bhai Fauja Singh Ji and was greatly influence by his fearless attitude.

He gave more importance to meeting and doing Darshan of Gursikhs than even to his most important duties. On 15th April 1978 he was to attend the first exam for his degree, but he thought it more important to go to join the Sangat at the Akhand Kirtani Smagam for Vaisakhi in Amritsar on 12th April where his father, Daleep Singh was also present. To Bhai Gurcharan Singh the best revision and preparation for life was Gurbani which he followed to the letter such as:

'Gur Kee N;nda Suna; No Kaan', and 'Sura So Pachanyeh)o Lara;

Deen Keh Heth. Purja Purja Kut Mora; Kabhoo No Shada; Keth'

By Jasbir Singh (son of Shaheed Bhai Hari Singh Ji)

Some of the keertanee who will be attending to do seva and sangat include:

Bhai Harpreet Singh Ji (Toronto)

Bhai Gurdev Singh Ji (Aussie)

Bhai Jasbir Singh (Mohali)

Bhai Manjeet Singh Ji (Glasgow)

Bhai Gurbir Singh Ji (Tarn Taran)

Bhai Jagpal Singh Ji (Kanpur)