The Big C Question.

Bundha

This is maybe something we can only speculate upon as one cannot be quite sure how one would react, but if you found you had Cancer and was told chemotherapy could help you but there was no guarantee that it would save your life but may prolong it for awhile, BUT it would mean the loss of all your hair........... as a Sikh what do you do ?

Take the chemo and prolong your life for a little longer but lose your kesh ?

No chemo and keep your kesh but die earlier ?

I personally, would keep kesh and die. If everything is dictated by our karams, and you ended up with making a choice like this, you would have to ask yourself, what did or what didn't I do to deserve this. Because nothing that happens is unfair. God would not give you unnecessary hardships. Sometimes though he does test us.

Lets say if we were to be reincarnated again, because we didn't attain God. We had cut our hair, in the hope of having a longer life. Because we would think that this would bring us a little peace. A little bit like euthanasia, people think, that they should take a pill to kill themselves painlessly, rather than suffer and die a slow painful death.

But the truth is, life carries on after death. So if God wanted us to have pain, whether it be in this life or the next we would get that pain. Killing your self, or sacrificing hair, in the hope of having Sukh, rather than Dukh, really this will not be the case. We all have to answer for our past actions. That is why it is best now to ask for forgiveness. Because we cannot avoid our karma. If it is in God's will we must pay for our actions, physical death will not stop this happening.

The cancer situation you have mentioned, is quite a mess. This isn't just like a random event that can happen. It would be all dictated by our karma. If any good sikh, did their nitnem and simran properly, im sure they would not end up in this mess, because when we do this, we should be eradicating bad karma and producing good karma. In Sikhi we know things are NOT just by chance. Everything is ordained by God.

But on the other hand, lets say that God did test us. And we know God is capable of anything. We have all heard stories, of how people went to Darbar Sahib, and got cured of cancer, blindness and many others. So lets say we choose kesh and death, or no kesh and life, bearing in mind the sacrifices that were made for us, remembering the choices past saints made. They always chose death than life rather than losing hair. Because they now, it is all about the after life. They are not going to go unrewarded. If they choose life, then sure they might have a bit of Sukh now, but they would of had to pay for it afterwards and still get pain, so whats the point.

Anyway also keeping in mind the miracles that have previously happened to people, and keeping in mind this is Guruji's test for us. If we chose to keep kesh and die, then who knows. Maybe God might just come and reward us for passing the test? Grant us a miracle, and cure us of cancer even without any operation or losing any hair. God can do anything. Just remember this freak event are not at random occurance, everything happens for a reason, and having faith in God can do anything. Even the impossible.

Just like how Guru Hargobind ji blessed mata Sulakhani with children, even though it wasn't in her destiny. But faith towards God can change all that. He can make the impossible possible. Mata Sulakhani ended up having 7 children, so ofcourse God can cure cancer, its been done before. Always have faith to God. But never sacrifice your Sikhi, no matter what the reason. I know this is easier said than done, but if God wants us to have pain, be assured we will receive it. But in the same way if we have done good. A good reward be given, we always receive the fruits of our own actions. So lets be pro-active, and meditate on God rather than being reactive. Prevention is the Cure!

I personally think that in such scenario, a person should go for chemotherapy...

Maharaj kirpa, I have never had such scenerio of anyone I know in my life - but should it happen, I do not think that question would even arise. Chemotherapy every time.

One could always ask the Panj Pyares because at the end of the day, that is where the buck stops but I personally doubt they they would say that one should refuse chemotherapy treatment due to a side effect.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!

Havng had Cancer for a good number of years, heres some thoughts based on that.......

Chmetherapy is a very draining and de-alibilitation progress tht goes on for months and months.......Docs can give statistics as to what the outcome will be. In some cases the response rates is great and patients fully recover and the process is definatly worth it.

But for me it was worse than the cancer itself, I was not blessed with Amrit at the time and i did loose all my hair.............it was the worst experience of my life............when chemo finished i decicied there and then no matter what the outcome i would never have chemo whereby i lost my hair............and after that the were developments in drugs whereby i didnt have to loose my hair................

What im saying is the Cancer didnt bug me as much as the treatment did.....................like one of the previous posters said...........its all in Maharajs in hands.........If i never had the cancer i would never have found Maharaj...........and He is the creater and dukh/sukh..............He is the real painless Chemotherapy.............Having faith and conviction in Him will never result in bad............we just gotta have faith.............. :)

going back to the question...........i would not have the chemotherapy again whreby i lost my hair........but i would ask for alteratives forms of treatments for relief. Ultimatly my body is a field of Karmas, i gotta reap what i sow...............but im glad to do that now and having found Maharaj on the way..............Im as happ as can beeee :D

bhul chuck maafi

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!