Sikhnet Misguiding Youth...Again.

Guest SikhForLife

thanks Gurjote singh..

what u say is true .. we gotta listen to Gurbani more than these sants..

please re read what i have stated in the previous posts..

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few thoughts just popped into my head after reading Gurjote's post. What is it about smoking that makes it a bujjer kurehit? Why is this forbidden to the point that you have to re-shuk amrit if you smoke? Some people say that it's unhealthy, and that might be part of the reason, but there are a lot of other things that are unhealthy that aren't bujjer kurehits. So what is it about smoking? Is the effect of smoking only physical or must it have a negative effect on your spirituality as well? My thinking has always been that if guru saahib said you're not even a sikh anymore if you smoke, then it must have a devastating effect on your spirituality. Any thoughts on this?

Also, most amrit sanchaars that I've ever heard of give a list of people you don't have 'rotee betee dee saanj with.' These include nareemaars, or people who use hukaa (which seems equivalent to smoking). This is supposed to be a hukam of our guru. It seems that our guru felt so strongly about the negative effects of tobacco, that they even forbade us from having 'rotee batee dee saanj' with people who use it. Any ideas on why this is?

Tabacco is an addiction. I was once a smoker and I know how it rules your life. Everything you do revolves around you having a smoke, it dictates your whole day. It stops you from going places where you can't smoke. People who smoke constantly think about when and how they can have their next cigeratte. Nothing else seems to really be a priority. People who smoke have mood swings when they have gone without a smoke and can get very depressed.

So how can you focus on Naam when you are thinking about your next smoke..

It was peer presure that got me into smoking when I was younger. My friends were smoking and they offered it to me. I remember they even tought me how to smoke a cigeratte properly.

Your crowd of friends can be an influencing factor in life. Maybe if I stayed away from these people I may never have started smoking....

In Guru Nanak dev ji's time , Sadhus used to give up all worldly things, and goto the jungle, so there would be less distractions. Guru Nanak Dev ji said this was tottally unnecessary and you can live among people with ur family and still reach waheguru.

A sikh must live in the real world , learn from his/her mistakes and improve himself/herself constantly. That is why SIKH = LEarner / student.

Sikhi like anyother religion has its do's and donts. But more emphasis is given on understanding the reason why things are done than simply doing it like a parrot.

These include nareemaars, or people who use hukaa (which seems equivalent to smoking). This is supposed to be a hukam of our guru. It seems that our guru felt so strongly about the negative effects of tobacco, that they even forbade us from having 'rotee batee dee saanj' with people who use it. Any ideas on why this is?

Smoking i think isnt allowed because it doesnt harm just the person who is doing it, but it also harms other innocent people. I dont remember where i heard it but it said "Alchohol kills one Generation where as Smoking kills many". A pregenant woman's child is effected by smoke from another peson's ciggerette. So thats why i think a sikh woman cant be married to a household where they smoke.

I sometime think people are making sikhi to complecated.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

You can't touch this stuff!!! You just can't...i am seriously starting get a little annoyed at some of the responses here...just read the following link to a Rehatnama, and then respond, and if you still think it's ok to touch the stuff...then i don't know what to say to you.

<<<"Listen to the discipline of the Gursikh whom relinquishes the accompaniment of tobacco, avoiding bodily contact with tobacco as he/she knows that he/she is better off dead than having to touch tobacco.">>>

http://www.damdamitaksal.com/lit_rehat_14.htm

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Damdami Taskal is a teaching institution of teaching Sikhi...

all of these quotes don't even come out of the SGGS.

The current maryada Sikhs follow is the one by the SGPC...

Hukka - Smoking tobacco, and all other intoxicants

Hajamat - Removing hair

Halalo - Eating meat

Haram - Adultery and <admin-profanity filter activated> relationships outside of marriage

Smoking tobacco? where does it say touching?

"Listen to the discipline of the Gursikh whom relinquishes the accompaniment of tobacco, avoiding bodily contact with tobacco as he/she knows that he/she is better off dead than having to touch tobacco."

Where does this quote come from?

Everyone has their own interperation of Sikhi, I just simply believe touching isn't going to make me a "bad" Sikh...

I go to New York City, people smoke all around, i'm inhaling 2nd-hand smoke, oh no does the Guru think I'm doing this intentionally? Should I take myself away from society and just walk around with some taliban dresscode? We inhale intoxciants from pollution? Should we not be allowed to breathe now?

Inhaling is worse than touching, so maybe I shoudln't even breathe.

If you do things intentionally, yeah, but like if you remove a cigarette off your lawn, thats toally something else. Everything in this world is harmful, everything contains bacteria. Our body needs bacteria in order to survive. Without any bacteria, humans would not even exist.

Be practical. How does touching make one good or bad? Implementing action and living by truth determines where one is pure or not.

WJKK WJKF,

Gurjote

Guest SikhForLife

surry singh u have to keep in mind that so many things in different rehats are not in line with SGGS and AKhal Takhat's definition of sikhi...

dont be annoyed by our comments.. if u and others feel that mainstream Rehat needs to be changed please contact Akal Takhat..

however i do want to point out that some things taht ARE contradictory to SGGS which are in the Akal Takhat Rehat version are well known and some people chose to follow it.. and some dont..

i dont want to argue with u any further as it is similar to the meat issue and women seva etc. and ragmala debates

• 2 weeks later...
Damdami Taskal is a teaching institution of teaching Sikhi...

all of these quotes don't even come out of the SGGS.

The current maryada Sikhs follow is the one by the SGPC...

Hukka - Smoking tobacco, and all other intoxicants

Hajamat - Removing hair

Halalo - Eating meat

Haram - Adultery and <admin-profanity filter activated> relationships outside of marriage

Smoking tobacco? where does it say touching?

"Listen to the discipline of the Gursikh whom relinquishes the accompaniment of tobacco, avoiding bodily contact with tobacco as he/she knows that he/she is better off dead than having to touch tobacco."

Where does this quote come from?

Everyone has their own interperation of Sikhi, I just simply believe touching isn't going to make me a "bad" Sikh...

I go to New York City, people smoke all around, i'm inhaling 2nd-hand smoke, oh no does the Guru think I'm doing this intentionally? Should I take myself away from society and just walk around with some taliban dresscode? We inhale intoxciants from pollution? Should we not be allowed to breathe now?

If you do things intentionally, yeah, but like if you remove a cigarette off your lawn, thats toally something else. Everything in this world is harmful, everything contains bacteria. Our body needs ba

cteria in order to survive. Without any bacteria, humans would not even exist.

Be practical. How does touching make one good or bad? Implementing action and living by truth determines where one is pure or not.

WJKK WJKF,

Gurjote

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Khalistani Singh...really man...if you think it is Okay to pick up cigarettes with your hands, then please do us a favour, and DO NOT SHAKE ANY SINGHS/SINGHNIS HAND...I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU...IT TAKES ONE MINUTE TO GRAB A BROOM OR SOMETHING. COME ON MAN...

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

If you do things intentionally, yeah, but like if you remove a cigarette off your lawn, thats toally something else. Everything in this world is harmful, everything contains bacteria. Our body needs bacteria in order to survive. Without any bacteria, humans would not even exist.

Surrey Singh is right. If you can avoid touching cigarettes, why wouldn't you? You say that if it's unintentional, then it's no big deal, but how is touching cigarettes unintentional? As far as second hand smoke goes, you should avoid it as much as you can. That's common sense. The thing I don't understand is, if our Guru disliked tobacco so much, and felt it was destructive for us spiritually, then why would a Guru Ka Sikh even want to touch this stuff?

I guess the thing is that you're looking at it like you're in some court room. You're trying to look at the letter of the law to try and

see exactly how far you can go and still be in rehit. Others look at it a little differently. Basically, my view is, if my guru didn't like it, I'm going to stay completely away from it. I'm not thinking about how many points I can score with my guru, whether I'm a 'pure' or 'bad' sikh, or where that fine line for breaking my rehit is. My guru didn't like it, so I'm going to avoid it as much as possible. If I am unable to avoid it, then so be it. Guru Saahib's bhaanaa. But touching tobacco is something everyone can definitely avoid.

Also, what does this have to do with bacteria? We don't avoid cigarettes because of bacteria. And what exactly is so unpractical about avoiding touching cigarettes? In my few years of living on this planet (and yes, living in society, not hiding somewhere with a 'taliban dresscode') I've never found myself having to touch cigarettes, or having to be 'unpractical' in order to avoid touching them. Not touching tobacco doesn't really take much effort at all.

By the way, nobody ever said that touching tobacco is a bujjer kurehit. Sikh rehit says that smoking is a bujjer kurehit. However, that doesn't make touching this stuff okay.

Lastly, what exactly did you mean by your 'taliban dresscode' comment?