Anand Karaj Ceremony

Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa Waheguru Jee Kee Fateh.

Does anyone know the purpose of walking in circles around Guru Granth Sahib Jee during a Sikh's marriage ceremony? What is the point of this when the God we're searching for is sitting inside of each and every single one of us? I hope everyone who reads this realizes the point I'm trying to make.

Bhul Chuk Maaf Jee.

Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa Waheguru Jee Kee Fateh.

49 A four Verse Prayer, authored by the Fourth Guru, Sri Guru Ram Das Jee

Walking around Satguru Jee (circumbabulating/Parkarma) signifies the sacrificing of ones mind, body and wealth. The circumambulating is a mark of respect signifying that Guru Sahib is greater than ourselves, as we have to take many steps to walk in humility around the throne of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee. The couple are begging for protection and assistance and signifying that they are the servants of Guru Sahib. If Parkarma is not performed during a time of happiness, then when will it ever be done? Parkarma are not to be performed around a fire, or any god, goddesses, persons, idols etc.

• 4 weeks later...

there is such a massive significance of the laava.

the significance of walking around is you saying to yourself/god/guru, you take on board what each laav represents. there are 4 stages od avastha, and we want to get to the fourth. research is golden, naam is infinite. :)

gurfateh

sorry to hijack thread with another question but I thought better this than start a new thread. I wanted to know when was the first Anand Karaj ceremony performed, with the Bride and groom circling the Guru Granth Sahib ji? I have read it was first done by Baba Dyal Singh the founder of the Nirankari movement, and this led to the 1908 anand karaj bill, its been difficult to find any solid info on this.