Another Racial Attack On Indian In Oz

Azaad

Attackers will not be spared: Australia

Melbourne, June 1

Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd today assured India that perpetrators of the recent attacks on Indian citizens here will be met "with full force of the law" as he condemned the incidents as "senseless" and "deplorable" acts of violence.

Speaking in the Australian Parliament today on the issue of safety of Indian students, Rudd recalled his telephonic conversation with his Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh last week during which they discussed "some recent unfortunate events" that threaten to "impair" good bilateral relations.

“These are senseless acts of violence... I speak on behalf of all Australians when I say that we deplore and condemn these attacks,” Rudd said, in an apparent damage-control exercise. “I said to Prime Minister Singh that the more than 90,000 Indian students in Australia are welcome guests in our country,” Rudd told the Parliament. Describing Manmohan Singh as a “friend of Australia, and an inspiring leader of his nation”, Rudd said he told the Indian Prime Minister that "more than 200,000 Australians of Indian-descent were welcome-members of the Australian family.

“I said the Commonwealth government was working closely with state governments to ensure that the perpetrators of these crimes are brought to justice… as they deserve to be met with full force of the law," Rudd said. — PTI

Taxi driver fresh victim

A taxi driver from Hyderabad had to be hospitalised after reportedly being bashed up by a drunken man in Melbourne. The 35-year-old victim had picked up the passenger, who was in an inebriated state, from Chapel street for Blackburn suburb on Sunday. “I have injuries on face, leg and hand. I have two broken teeth as well,” the victim, who went unconscious after the attack, claimed.

18 students detained

Eighteen Indian youths were detained for "breaching peace" after the protesting students blocked the busiest street of this city in Victorian state here demanding justice. The identities of the 18 detainees were not yet known but there were reports they have been set free. The protesters also accused the police of high-handedness. The Victoria police commissioner said the action was justified as protesters had ignored an order to leave the busy street.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic