Writing Gurbani From Memory!

Guest _AK-47_

Guest _AK-47_

I read somewhere that during the Misal period, there was a very charrdi kala bibi who wrote Panj Granthi from memory and this Punj Granthi was in high demand at that time.

At present, while doing paath, we seem to ignore the aunkarrs or siharis on the last alphabet. Does this mean that during the Misal period singhs used to pronouce these aunkarss and siharis and used to memorize gurbani in a way that it can be written down from memory ?

Thanks

if your talking about the sihaari or aunker at the end of most words, and asking whether we pronunce them, then......

no

the sihaari and aunkar is only there for arth (meaning) purposes. unless its on a haha, which case you prounance it.. > hi or ho <

gurfateh

Gurfateh

Don't want to start an argument but, all lagamantra's (ohnkurs, siharee's etc) should be pronounced to some extent. It is important to get santhia and to make sure a siharee doesnt sound like a laav etc...

if the lagamantra's are so important for arth...which they are... then surely the arths should be understood by someone just listening...

most people out of laziness or simply not knowing..or stoutly believing they should not be said...do not pronounce the lagamantra's...

it is extremely difficult to pronounce all the lagamantra's clearly and correctly, but an effort should be made... only this way could somebody truly learn baani kanth (by heart)...

Bhul chuk maaf

Gurfateh

Guest shastr
if your talking about the sihaari or aunker at the end of most words, and asking whether we pronunce them, then......

no

the sihaari and aunkar is only there for arth (meaning) purposes. unless its on a haha, which case you prounance it.. > hi or ho <

gurfateh

um, in taksal, they teach to pronounce every lagamatra, sihaari's and aunkar's on the last letter along with everything else.

Guest _AK-47_

no

gurfateh

Well.. then how come that bibi in 18th century wrote down panj granthi from memory ??

In order to write Gurbani from memory, one shud have all the lagan maatran memorized.

Guest _AK-47_
You have to pronounce everyhing according to Taksal.

AK-47, from where did you hear of this chardikalla Bibi? (books, katha?)

WJKK WJKF

I read about it on this forum only, in one of the posts of beloved Bijla Singh Jeeooo.

Khalsa was staying in jungles and there was shortage of punj granthi pothi. A bibi wrote the punj granthi from memory. May be if Bijla Singh jee reads this, he can post the link where he wrote about it.

Guest _NAAM_

I know nothing about whether or not they pronounced the laga matra and all that, however, on the issue that you would have to pronounce all of them to remember them correctly, i THINK thats not right to say. Reason being is that those who say that you DON'T pronounce the grammer, they say that the reason for the grammer is to say what the meaning of the word is (eg. when one word has more than one possible meaning, the grammer indicates what meaning of the word is meant), so you could also remember all the laga matras etc if you had a full understanding of each word and an understanding of gurbani grammer

sorry if it didn't make sense

and also , just if what i say is true it doesn't mean that they didn't pronounce the grammer either. not sure

bhull chuk maf

Guest _AK-47_
I read somewhere that during the Misal period, there was a very charrdi kala bibi who wrote Panj Granthi from memory and this Punj Granthi was in high demand at that time.

At present, while doing paath, we seem to ignore the aunkarrs or siharis on the last alphabet. Does this mean that during the Misal period singhs used to pronouce these aunkarss and siharis and used to memorize gurbani in a way that it can be written down from memory ?

Thanks

Can somene please ask Bijla Singh to post the link where he wrote about this charrdikala bibi who wrote this punj granthi ? I am not a member, so I cant do it.

yea.. i no taksaal do that.. amritsar dudes says the other thing... thats what i believe.. like say, ghar has a sihaari, that means inside the ghar; like tith ghar anhad vaje...

taksaal also do wrong pronuncatiion and ucharan..

they say pause after naanak in naanak neech kahae veechaar.. this is wrong because of the arath. our gurbani has basically beed made so that no one can ever change it.

another is that they say naanak utham neech na koi..... taksaal say that pause after the uttam so as to say naanak is highest... but this is wrong again because of the arath... there are 6 types of naanak, 2 of which are the kaka mukta and the other with aunkar in take lets say...the japji sahib... if it is mukta, then you must pause after the nanak. if not, i.e. with the aunkar, then you saay it with the next word..

again in jaap sahib, tasaal have so many mistakes. if you knows chandabundi which i am still learning, then it becomes adement where gurbani has been changed. somtimes (as discussed above) the arath has been changed, other times, it hasnt- it has only been changed to re-enforce the arath.. this is ok, but still changing gurbani is not somthing i wud wana do...

another thing, 'bhukhiaa' in bhukhiaa bukh na uttari..

taksaal say that because that there is no bindi on the last kana no bindi should be pronunced. and i agree exactly with that.

however, the amritsar dudes say that there should be a bindi because looking at the gurbani tuk as a sentance of understanding/ ucharan pouposes, a bindi should be said because....>> it is bau bachan. this 'bau bachan' thing is grammer. bau bachan means plural. so there is some truth to this bindi thing i think but i just tend to say it however i.e. with or without the bindi.

we all say the bindi without knowing it... unless we actively dont say it.

for the moment, from what i know, i think i will stay with the amritsar way of doing it because (at the moment) i feel that it is better than the taksaal way.. i understand that it is not the correct thing to get into but.... u no..

gurfateh jeeoz

oh 1 last thing, writing gurbani from memory is an amazing feat, but if one understands the tuk truly, then it is easy to know where the sihaari/aunker goes at the end of the word.