Gurmat In Vaars - Part 1

Bijla Singh

Bhai Gurdas Ji was cousin of Bibi Bhani Ji and nephew of Guru Amardas Ji. He was a great gursikh and lived his life according to Gurmat. He wrote Vaars and Kabits explaining Gurmat principles, rehat and character of Gursikhs, uniqueness of the Panth and status of Guru Sahib compared to other prophets, avtars and messengers. He also wrote some of Guru Sahib's history and used many examples and mythological stories to explain moral and ethical principles. He was honored with the task of writing 'Pothi Sahib' (later known as Guru Granth Sahib). He was a great preacher who spread Sikhi in Agra, Kanshi, U.P, Kashmir and other parts of the country.

Although every pauri of every Vaar is a must read and very important but I will be posting some of the pauris (as time allows) that I think would help all of us a great deal to learn about Gurmat. First let's start with the mangal.

Vaar 1 Pauri 1

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਨਮਸਕਾਰੁ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਕੋ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਿਸੁ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਸੁਣਾਇਆ ।

I bow before the Guru (Guru Nanak Dev) who recited the Satnam mantra (for the world).

ਭਵਜਲ ਵਿਚੋਂ ਕਢਿ ਕੈ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਪਦਾਰਥਿ ਮਾਹਿ ਸਮਾਇਆ ।

Getting (the creatures) across the world ocean He raptly merged them in liberation.

ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣ ਭਉ ਕਟਿਆ ਸੰਸਾ ਰੋਗੁ ਵਿਯੋਗੁ ਮਿਟਾਇਆ ।

He destroyed the fear of transmigration and decimated the malady of doubt and separation.

ਸੰਸਾ ਇਹੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ਹੈ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਨ ਵਿਚਿ ਦੁਖੁ ਸਵਾਇਆ ।

The world is only illusion which carried with it much of birth, death and sufferings.

ਜਮ ਦੰਡੁ ਸਿਰੌਂ ਨ ਉਤਰੈ ਸਾਕਤਿ ਦੁਰਜਨ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ ।

The fear of the rod of Yama is not dispelled and the sakts, the followers of the goddess, have lost their lives in vain.

ਚਰਨ ਗਹੇ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਦੇ ਸਤਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਦੇ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਕਰਾਇਆ ।

Those who have caught hold of the feet of the Guru have been liberated through the true Word.

ਭਾਉ ਭਗਤਿ ਗੁਰਪੁਰਬਿ ਕਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦਾਨੁ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਇਆ ।

Now being full of loving devotion they celebrate the gurprubs (anniversaries of the Gurus) and their acts of remembrance of God, charity and holy ablutions, inspire others also.

ਜੇਹਾ ਬੀਉ ਤੇਹਾ ਫਲੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੧॥

As someone sows, so he reaps.

This pauri is mangal of Guru Sahib. Bhai Sahib is narrating his own story of coming in the sanctuary of Guru Sahib. He bows before Guru Sahib who gave him 'Satnam'. In the following Vaars it becomes clear that only Guru Nanak Sahib preached 'Satnaam' which refers to gurmantra. By obtaining naam, his fear of death and birth was erased. He was shown the path of salvation. He was told to do naam japp and celebrate gurpurab.

From this Vaar we can conclude the following points:

1) Only when one gets gurmantra he/she becomes guru wala. Bhai Sahib became gursikh when he was given 'Satnaam'.

2) Bhai Sahib was taught to meditate upon shabad and hence Nirgun Akaal. This proves that Gurmat is very unique since others advocated Sargun worship i.e. Rama, Krishna, Shiv etc.

3) 6th line shows that it was through the Shabad Bhai Sahib attained muktee. Therefore, even when there was 'Deh' Shabad was the true Guru.

4) 7th line proves that Guru Amar Daas Ji started organizing Sikhs in large numbers to celebrate Gurpurabs. Celebrating Gurpurab was a common practice among Sikhs during Guru Amar Daas Ji's times. It is clear that celebrating Guru Nanak Sahib's pargat divas was a big event during those days. A closer look at the history, common practices and Kabits we can easily reach the conclusion that Guru Sahib's parkash was in Kattak. Since celebrating Gurpurab of Guru Nanak Sahib had begun during Guru Amar Daas Ji's times, it was nearly impossible to convince them to start celebrating it in Vaisakh which never happened.

Please share your thoughts. Guru Rakha

thanks Bijla Singh Ji, keep it coming smile.gif

Sorry PJS veerji, didn't see this one before I requested you for varaan in your looking for seva post. I guess if Bijla singh veerji continue then you can focus on something else. how about Bhai Nand Lal ji's gazals. I have heard them here and there at keeran programs, but cann't really give you example . So you can tell my knowledge about Gazals and vaars is really slim to none. One day plan to familiarize myself to that khajana too. SS could be good place to feed my soul's hunger.

Gur Fathe.

Bhai Gurdas Ji was cousin of Bibi Bhani Ji and nephew of Guru Amardas Ji. He was a great gursikh and lived his life according to Gurmat. He wrote Vaars and Kabits explaining Gurmat principles, rehat and character of Gursikhs, uniqueness of the Panth and status of Guru Sahib compared to other prophets, avtars and messengers. He also wrote some of Guru Sahib's history and used many examples and mythological stories to explain moral and ethical principles. He was honored with the task of writing 'Pothi Sahib' (later known as Guru Granth Sahib). He was a great preacher who spread Sikhi in Agra, Kanshi, U.P, Kashmir and other parts of the country.

Although every pauri of every Vaar is a must read and very important but I will be posting some of the pauris (as time allows) that I think would help all of us a great deal to learn about Gurmat. First let's start with the mangal.

Vaar 1 Pauri 1

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

I bow before the Guru (Guru Nanak Dev) who recited the Satnam mantra (for the world).

Getting (the creatures) across the world ocean He raptly merged them in liberation.

He destroyed the fear of transmigration and decimated the malady of doubt and separation.

The world is only illusion which carried with it much of birth, death and sufferings.

The fear of the rod of Yama is not dispelled and the sakts, the followers of the goddess, have lost their lives in vain.

Those who have caught hold of the feet of the Guru have been liberated through the true Word.

Now being full of loving devotion they celebrate the gurprubs (anniversaries of the Gurus) and their acts of remembrance of God, charity and holy ablutions, inspire others also.

As someone sows, so he reaps.

This pauri is mangal of Guru Sahib. Bhai Sahib is narrating his own story of coming in the sanctuary of Guru Sahib. He bows before Guru Sahib who gave him 'Satnam'. In the following Vaars it becomes clear that only Guru Nanak Sahib preached 'Satnaam' which refers to gurmantra. By obtaining naam, his fear of death and birth was erased. He was shown the path of salvation. He was told to do naam japp and celebrate gurpurab.

From this Vaar we can conclude the following points:

1) Only when one gets gurmantra he/she becomes guru wala. Bhai Sahib became gursikh when he was given 'Satnaam'.

2) Bhai Sahib was taught to meditate upon shabad and hence Nirgun Akaal. This proves that Gurmat is very unique since others advocated Sargun worship i.e. Rama, Krishna, Shiv etc.

3) 6th line shows that it was through the Shabad Bhai Sahib attained muktee. Therefore, even when there was 'Deh' Shabad was the true Guru.

4) 7th line proves that Guru Amar Daas Ji started organizing Sikhs in large numbers to celebrate Gurpurabs. Celebrating Gurpurab was a common practice among Sikhs during Guru Amar Daas Ji's times. It is clear that celebrating Guru Nanak Sahib's pargat divas was a big event during those days. A closer look at the history, common practices and Kabits we can easily reach the conclusion that Guru Sahib's parkash was in Kattak. Since celebrating Gurpurab of Guru Nanak Sahib had begun during Guru Amar Daas Ji's times, it was nearly impossible to convince them to start celebrating it in Vaisakh which never happened.

Please share your thoughts. Guru Rakha

Bijla ji,

My humble thoughts on the translation of the above Vaar:

Vaar 1 Pauri 1

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

I bow to the Guru who narrated the message of the True Naam.

He took it out the Vast ocean of existence and merged it into the Liberating Blessing.

The uncertainty is of this World, within transmigration lies immense pain. (Refers to the pain of death and birth)

The fear of the punishment of Yama is never dispelled, the mischief maker priests have wasted lives in vain.

Those who have bowed at the feet of the Guru, have been liberated through the True Word.

Lloving affection, devotional meditation bestowed by Gurus Blessings due to ones past karmas, one is resolutely offered to bathe (spiritual) in the Blessing of Naam. (One is Enlightened/Liberated)

As you sow, so shall you reap.

Kind Regards

ekmusafir_ajnabi