Need Some Help

Guest Deep

Hello I am 18 year old born and raised in Canada. I have been spending much time reading books, researching on the net, and asking my parents questions about sikhism- and I really want to become an Amritdhari Sikh. I have some problems that I need to sort out. The first being I cannot fully understand or follow what is being recited at the gudwara from guru granth sahib. I think it's because I am born and raised in Canada that my Punjabi skills are at a very basic level. How will I understand what my prayers fully mean if I cant follow what is being said. I know of a few Singhs here who do their prayers everyday but have no clue what is being spoken in the prayer!

Also please tell me if this is a good idea. Right now I have just finished my highschool and have no set-plans for university. I want to travel to India and live their for a few years, and gain knowledge about sikhi and I think that this would be a good way for me to improve and get a better understanding about what our religion is really about. I think it will also help me speak/understand punjabi a lot better.

Thank you all for listening, any advice from you guys is much appreciated!

Wjkk Wjkf Deep Jeo,

Firstly, let me congratulate you for your thirst for amrit :) It is Waheguru Ji's blessings that you have decided to be the son of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. Regarding your 'problem', well it isnt really a problem if you look at it, i mean you have got the love for the Guru, that is first and foremost. Having said that, as you said, it is equally important that Bani and its importance is absorbed first, then bana follows. Reciting bani and being a part of bani itself are two totally different things. We all have to make a conscious effort to understand and assimilate Guru Ji's word within, and treat it as a guide to everything we do in our daily lives.

So, start off with reading decent translations of all the nitnem banis at first, absorb the meanings and then get yourself a nitnem gutka sahib with gurmukhi and english translations side by side. And as you go along, you might want to put a decent audio of the bani you read, but that is for the ucharran bit. The best thing to do, of course, is get santhya classes at your local gurdwara sahib first but hey, if you are planning to go to india for gurmat gyan, nothing could be better than that! Go to the taksal at mehta sahib if you can, they will give you all the gyan you need as far as meanings and pronounciation is concerned.

You have got the love for Guruji's word in you, that means Guru Ji is holding your hand - just follow his hukam and you will learn gurmukhi within no time :) May Waheguru Ji keep showering His blessings upon you!

Gurfateh Jeo!

I was going to say go to youtube (rajkaregakhalsa) and type in japji/jaap Sahib/ etc... and watch the english while you hear the Gurmukhi recitations you can even read the Gurmukhi if learning to read Gurmukhi or as bhai Sahib wrote get a gutka with translations in it.

Going to india is like way better than that so youre fortunate(I dont believe in luck) to do that so Im jealous :lol:

Youre on a good track just stick to it without compromising your Sikhi to manmukhs way of life.

Dont take amrit earn it ... learn bani ... start nitname ... learn about mareyada and do seva thats must seva ... clear all doubts ... then get all panj kakar spend 2 months in full rehat then take amrit ... u should now the stuff what you should do and what you should not and when u need to pesh ... you should know these things before dont keep it for laters and then keep on asking people should a do this should i pesh ... earn amrit ...

baba deep singh started learning about sikhi since 3 born in family of gursikhs often had darshans of guru sahib yet take amrit at the age of 19 ... learn when you are 100 percent ready then only go for it ...

people may feel offened but reading two three sakhis about sahibzade and sikh shahhedis or hearning some lecture in gurdwara of some sant one goes and take amrit but this is most of the time if not everytime is result of emotions and mooh with guru sahib .... and it will not last long ...

but when u spend time with guru sahib guru bani in sangat doing seva doing your jaap naam simren ... u will gain love and when this love combines with khande batte di paul ... ur mukt ...

learn start keeping rehat wear you kakkar and when u start feeling love take amrit ... if u r feeling love right now dont weight ... best of luck ...

and one last thing have one ustad ...

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the responses! I have read all of them and have taken them to heart. Jassa thank you for the excellent advice aswell, I will follow your plan exactly. I really like how you are saying don't take amrit but earn it.

Once again thank all of you for the help.

Guest --GUPT--

Dont take amrit earn it ... learn bani ... start nitname ... learn about mareyada and do seva thats must seva ... clear all doubts ... then get all panj kakar spend 2 months in full rehat then take amrit ... u should now the stuff what you should do and what you should not and when u need to pesh ... you should know these things before dont keep it for laters and then keep on asking people should a do this should i pesh ... earn amrit ...

baba deep singh started learning about sikhi since 3 born in family of gursikhs often had darshans of guru sahib yet take amrit at the age of 19 ... learn when you are 100 percent ready then only go for it ...

people may feel offened but reading two three sakhis about sahibzade and sikh shahhedis or hearning some lecture in gurdwara of some sant one goes and take amrit but this is most of the time if not everytime is result of emotions and mooh with guru sahib .... and it will not last long ...

but when u spend time with guru sahib guru bani in sangat doing seva doing your jaap naam simren ... u will gain love and when this love combines with khande batte di paul ... ur mukt ...

learn start keeping rehat wear you kakkar and when u start feeling love take amrit ... if u r feeling love right now dont weight ... best of luck ...

and one last thing have one ustad ...

Guru fateh!

Too good.

Thanks alot for u'r answer.

These question was also in my mind that shall i take amrit or wait for some time & u answer it so nicely.

Also thankyou to the person who asked these question.

------I also have one problem can u plz answer------

Actually i am doing post graduation(PG) my mind is not so fast,i belong to a family who is middle class so sometimes when i take wrong decisions of buying smth & for that the money gets wasted i feel very bad,i became angry very soon because i am a person who is of very shy nature & less confidence due to these & because i don't have any special quality in me i don't get any place in my collage commitee.

Also when i was in graduation i get lots of time for reading gurbani & doing kirtan as i only study at the exam time.

But now as i am doing PG i get very less time.My time of sleeping & waking up is not fixed so i am unable to maintain consistency in doing morning prayer nicely.Waheguru ji di kirpa nal evening di prayer(rehras saheb ji) ho jandi.My timing of sleep depend on my work & my health.

I am very tensed b'coz i am not good in anything & after 2 years i have to earn my living so that i can earn money & spend that on my parents as they have done these for years on me.

Because of burden of studies & b'coz my mind is not fast.Now whenever i read gurbani i get tensed that i have to study i should stop here now........

I want to read Shri guru granth sahib ji.

But how i manage?

PLZ help....

Guest --gupt--

Wjkk Wjkf Deep Jeo,

Firstly, let me congratulate you for your thirst for amrit :) It is Waheguru Ji's blessings that you have decided to be the son of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. Regarding your 'problem', well it isnt really a problem if you look at it, i mean you have got the love for the Guru, that is first and foremost. Having said that, as you said, it is equally important that Bani and its importance is absorbed first, then bana follows. Reciting bani and being a part of bani itself are two totally different things. We all have to make a conscious effort to understand and assimilate Guru Ji's word within, and treat it as a guide to everything we do in our daily lives.

So, start off with reading decent translations of all the nitnem banis at first, absorb the meanings and then get yourself a nitnem gutka sahib with gurmukhi and english translations side by side. And as you go along, you might want to put a decent audio of the bani you read, but that is for the ucharran bit. The best thing to do, of course, is get santhya classes at your local gurdwara sahib first but hey, if you are planning to go to india for gurmat gyan, nothing could be better than that! Go to the taksal at mehta sahib if you can, they will give you all the gyan you need as far as meanings and pronounciation is concerned.

You have got the love for Guruji's word in you, that means Guru Ji is holding your hand - just follow his hukam and you will learn gurmukhi within no time :) May Waheguru Ji keep showering His blessings upon you!

Gurfateh Jeo!

Guru fateh!

So sweet answer.........