Punjabi Simpletons

Guest fordcapri

Guest fordcapri

Every time I see something to with Punjabi culture it is non logical, I don’t mean love of alcohol coos that is not culture.

I mean stupid things like love of “Mar Bole” mother tongue, which cares one language, is no better than other, dum films that go on about loving the Punjabi Zermeen (the floor)

Going on about Peers and Fakirs who cares they just people no on special.

I’m not against it all there’s some artist who sing good stuff like Manak, kabbidi and wrestling are good for fitness, even bhangra folk dance is an art.

What are your views?

fordcapri, I completely agree with you. Did you know your an amazing person/being.

Yeah like you mentioned, there are some useful things we can learn from the punjabi culture as well the downsides. Like some gurdaas maans songs actually make sense, but of course most are generally about fake love, dancing, drinking, etc. Some singers do say things like we should care and respect our mothers, some teach us the way of life, etc. I would say take only the Good Virtues from the punjabi culture and leave the junk behind.

Just take care in whatever you do, May Vaheguru help us choose the right virtues.

Every time I see something to with Punjabi culture it is non logical.

Are other cultures logical? Is the wearing of a necktie logical? Is it based on some sort of philosophical analysis? And the wearing of skirts in dead cold winter? Is that also logical?

I mean stupid things like love of “Mar Bole” mother tongue, which cares one language, is no better than other,

Is your mother better than anybody else's mother? Maybe, maybe not. Do you still love her? If so, why wouldn't you want people to love their mother tongue?

dum films that go on about loving the Punjabi Zermeen (the floor)

Zameen means land, not floor. Floor is farsh in Punjabi. People have a love for their land, not for their floors, whether they be marble, granite, harwood, or tile.

Do you also apply the same standard to the American song "The home of the free, the *land* of the brave?" "From sea to shining sea" "Over amber waves of grain"? That's all OK, but it bugs you when a Punjabi sings about the green fields of his motherland?

You have got to be kidding. Do you apply the same standard to the country in which you live (US, Canada, UK, whatever) or just to Punjab? When your teacher teaches about George Washington, Churchill, the Greek gods, or whatever, do you also counter with "Who cares"?

Every time I see something to with Punjabi culture it is non logical.

Are other cultures logical? Is the wearing of a necktie logical? Is it based on some sort of philosophical analysis? And the wearing of skirts in dead cold winter? Is that also logical?

I mean stupid things like love of "Mar Bole" mother tongue, which cares one language, is no better than other,

Is your mother better than anybody else's mother? Maybe, maybe not. Do you still love her? If so, why wouldn't you want people to love their mother tongue?

dum films that go on about loving the Punjabi Zermeen (the floor)

Zameen means land, not floor. Floor is farsh in Punjabi. People have a love for their land, not for their floors, whether they be marble, granite, harwood, or tile.

Do you also apply the same standard to the American song "The home of the free, the *land* of the brave?" "From sea to shining sea" "Over amber waves of grain"? That's all OK, but it bugs you when a Punjabi sings about the green fields of his motherland?

You have got to be kidding. Do you apply the same standard to the country in which you live (US, Canada, UK, whatever) or just to Punjab? When your teacher teaches about George Washington, Churchill, the Greek gods, or whatever, do you also counter with "Who cares"?

Well said. I completely agree with you.

Fordcapri,

Punjab is a very special land, mix of different cultures and races to form a Punjabi. We will have to look back into history to find out who are the Punjabis? Punjabis are a mix of different races, Russians, Persians, Greeks and many more.

These people have truly loved God, they have infused with God through only love e.g. Baba Farhid, Baba Bullah Shah, our Guru's and then there are great lovers of Punjab, Heer Ranja, Soni Mahwal, many more. There are many different accounts of the blessed land of Punjab and its people, it will take me 7 to 8 posts to just to touch the surface.

I do understand when people speak ill of Punjab and Punjabi culture. If people have not lived in Punjab or not been given any knowledge about the blessed land, then what are you going to say? You will only speak ill of it.

Last thing I should point out, the Dharam you and I follow (SIKH), was it not found in Punjab? The Language Guru Granth Sahib is written in, is it not Punjabi? Or is it English? You tell me.

"Zameen means land, not floor. Floor is farsh in Punjabi. People have a love for their land, not for their floors, whether they be marble, granite, harwood, or tile."

MLOL, Capri, maybe you should learn Punjabi before you comment on Punjabi culture.

For your info, Punjabi culture is probably one of the greatest cultures in the world - it has been blessed by the wisdom of Zoroastrianism, Buddism, Islam, Indic faiths and Sikhi. The great wars of the Mahabharat occurred in Punjab. Punjab has been the trade centre and cultural melting pot of Asia for over 3,000 years – with evidence of the earliest great civilisations being found on this land.

The contrast of invaders from all over Asia has given Punjab a plethora of mythology, legend, art, song, dance, etc etc... the folk culture (I am not talking about Manak or G Mann) is 2nd to none, one must study it to appreciate it... Baba Farid Shakarganj blessed this holy land and chose/propagated its language over Pashtun/Farsi etc..

The wisdom that exists in folk culture is mind blowing – and so deeply ingrained through experience of joy and sorrow, that Guru Sahiban have coloured Aad Sri Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj with umpteen examples of folk music i.e. Ghoriyan, Vanjara, Sohilai, Vaar to name but a handful.

The shame is that people limit Punjabi culture to bhangra, Manak/Maan, drinking, acting like ‘shere’ after a few bottles of whiskey and all the rubbish most modern Punjabi music sings about.

The deep and correct Sufi arth of Heer – as mentioned by Bhai Gurdas Ji are an example of wonderful Punjabi culture.

Even the modern raag system was invented in Punjab with a fusion of the Sufis Persian modes and Indias classical jaati system – this falls under the broad heading of Punjabi culture.

I could write on this subject for a long time, but the truth is that only articulate/open minded people will get the gist and look into this further... majority of people think that culture (real) and religion are incompatible, yes they maybe in some aspects, but in many other they are perfectly complimentary.

At its height, Punjabs poety tradition challenged the legendary Persian Darbars - to the point that many top Persian Kavis moved to Punjab..

"Zameen means land, not floor. Floor is farsh in Punjabi. People have a love for their land, not for their floors, whether they be marble, granite, harwood, or tile."

MLOL, Capri, maybe you should learn Punjabi before you comment on Punjabi culture.

For your info, Punjabi culture is probably one of the greatest cultures in the world - it has been blessed by the wisdom of Zoroastrianism, Buddism, Islam, Indic faiths and Sikhi. The great wars of the Mahabharat occurred in Punjab. Punjab has been the trade centre and cultural melting pot of Asia for over 3,000 years – with evidence of the earliest great civilisations being found on this land.

The contrast of invaders from all over Asia has given Punjab a plethora of mythology, legend, art, song, dance, etc etc... the folk culture (I am not talking about Manak or G Mann) is 2nd to none, one must study it to appreciate it... Baba Farid Shakarganj blessed this holy land and chose/propagated its language over Pashtun/Farsi etc..

The wisdom that exists in folk culture is mind blowing – and so deeply ingrained through experience of joy and sorrow, that Guru Sahiban have coloured Aad Sri Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj with umpteen examples of folk music i.e. Ghoriyan, Vanjara, Sohilai, Vaar to name but a handful.

The shame is that people limit Punjabi culture to bhangra, Manak/Maan, drinking, acting like 'shere' after a few bottles of whiskey and all the rubbish most modern Punjabi music sings about.

The deep and correct Sufi arth of Heer – as mentioned by Bhai Gurdas Ji are an example of wonderful Punjabi culture.

Even the modern raag system was invented in Punjab with a fusion of the Sufis Persian modes and Indias classical jaati system – this falls under the broad heading of Punjabi culture.

I could write on this subject for a long time, but the truth is that only articulate/open minded people will get the gist and look into this further... majority of people think that culture (real) and religion are incompatible, yes they maybe in some aspects, but in many other they are perfectly complimentary.

At its height, Punjabs poety tradition challenged the legendary Persian Darbars - to the point that many top Persian Kavis moved to Punjab..

My brother you have hit the nail on the head.

fordcapri, sorry to pick on you. I just wish you had sort of researched the situation before speaking up.

Another point I'd like to reiterate is the fact that standing above all the scriptures produced by humanity so far is God's word, Guru Granth Sahib Ji, written in ... Punjabi in Punjab. (I don't mean to imply Guru Sahib was created by humans, just if someone was looking at a non-Sikh, world perspective.) Other scriptures talk about the war histories of specific tribes or groups, but Guru Granth Sahib Ji talks about the unity of all mankind. Like khalis said above, it's mindblowing.

If you can name a prophet who has arisen among the French or if a scripture has been written in German, go ahead.

If you see some great difference between 1830s London and 1830s Lahore, go ahead and point it out. The only reason the British surged ahead is they took the Punjab by treachery, otherwise we'd have no reason to emigrate.