I have been given the responsibility

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I have to teach a 7th grade geography class on sikhism. :nihungsmile: The teacher knows how interested i am and how passionate i am about sikhi and i told him how no one knows about it so he is letting me teach about it to all his classes. I have made and outline about what i will talk about, read it over and give me some suggestions, ie. add something or take something away... thanks.

Intro: Introducing Sikhism in general, few questions such as who has heard of it and what they know about it…some problems facing now

Sikh means Disciple or student and we had 10 prophets which are called Gurus and Guru is teacher so a Sikh learns from his Guru

Background: began in Punjab, Pre British Era…. Pakistan and East Punjab

First Guru, 20 Oct, 1469 - 22 September 1539 lived till 70

Guru Nanak Dev ji, He was born into a Hindu family and rejected all Hindu customs. He was sent to both Hindu and Muslim teachers and instead taught them than them teaching him. - Work Hard, Pray, Give Charity

Second Guru,

Guru Angad Dev ji, made language in writing form

Fifth Guru,

Guru Arjan Dev ji, Wrote most hymns, was martyred by mogul ruler at that time, Jahangir

Sixth Guru,

Guru Hargobind Sahib ji, made Sikhs stronger, taught them sword fighting

skill [gatka].

He introduced concept of Miri and Piri, Spiritual and Temporal Powers which are inseparable.

Eight Gurus,

Guru Harkrishan Sahib ji, was only 5 when he attained Guruship, cured Delhi from a smallpox epidemic.

Ninth Guru,

Guru Teg Bahadur, was martyred when he stood up for rights of Hindu people who were being forcefully converted to Islam

Along with him were 3 men, Dayal Das, Mati Das, and Sati Das … Boiled Alive, Burned Alive and Sawed Alive

Tenth Guru 1666 - 1708

Guru Gobind Singh ji, Finalized Sikhism… Was very intelligent and knew many skills

Told to not cut hair, Khalsa… sword baptism

Beat Arungzeb

Principles:

Monotheistic… God does not do anything wrong and makes everything perfect so we do not cut our hair it is natural. We submit to gods will.

Gender Equality, Toleration to Other Religions, Earn by honest means, Learn the word of God, Always do right, do not cheat, No alcohol or tobacco, No adultery, Don’t cut your hair, Don’t be greedy

Turban:

Be noticed in a crowd, it is a religious symbol... A way to keep clean and keep the hair in a neat way.  Stay in a natural form because god made us perfect. Respect the hair and put a turban over it.

Kirpan:

Kirpan is a dagger. It is a ceremonial sword that is required by all baptized Sikhs.

To Sikhs the Kirpan is religiously symbolic of their spirituality and the constant struggle of good and morality over the forces of evil and injustice, both on a individual as well as social level. The usage of the Kirpan in this religious context is clearly indicated in the Sikh holy scriptures (Sri Guru Granth Sahib) and wearing it is ment to inspire a Sikh in their daily life;

"To forsake pride, emotional attachment, and the sense of `mine and yours', is the path of the double-edged sword." (Guru Arjan Dev, Devgandhari, pg. 534)

"From the Guru, I have obtained the supremely powerful sword of spiritual wisdom. I have cut down the fortress of duality and doubt

, attachment, greed and egotism. The Name of the Lord abides within my mind; I contemplate the Word of the Guru's hymns." (Guru Ram Das, Maru, pg. 1087)

Guru Gobind Singh introduced the metaphor of the Kirpan to refer to God and his qualities;

"O Sword, O Conqueror of continents, O Vanquisher of the hosts of evil, O Embellisher of the brave in the field of battle. Thy Arms are unbreakable, Thy Light refulgent, Thy Glory and Splendor dazzle like the sun. O Happiness of the holy, O Crusher of evil intent, O Subduer of sin, I seek Thy refuge." (Guru Gobind Singh, Vachitra Natak, Chapter I)

A Sikh must always be a Saint and a Soldier always.  IT is not a weapon because we could just use guns. In the same way Sikhs carry the Kirpan at all times because it is symbolic of their religious tradition and heritage.

I will also mention 1984 and some other injustices such as france but i didnt not write them down as they are all in my head

bull chuk maaf my ignorance if i have anything wrong

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!! Really it is a great tast for u indeed ............ :wub:

Just one thing to add..... QURBANIA !! In Sikhi... ie... punj mai pasha, Namai Pasha, Bhai Taru SIngh, Banda Singh Bahadur... etc...

I know you added the three singhs (bhai sati das, ....) but also more would be good after the gurus. What all went on rite ?

So at least they can see how sikhi has a lot of martyrs too .... and it stand up at the top for the most sacrifices for our religion :)

Other than dat... your outline looks great... couldnt have made it better tongue.gif

bhul chuk maph!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

talk about how when dhan dhan siri guru arjan dev jee was getting hot sand poured over him, he didnt once question god, but instead said...teraa keeaa meethaa laagai har naam padharath nanak maangai. that right there is beyond amazing and just shows how great the gurus are...

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

turbanator ji, it looks good except the part about the kirpan. sri guru gobind singh ji made the kirpan as a weapon, to defend urself and others. it is also a weapon, it is not just for show. i dont know the exact quote, but i herd sri guru gobind singh ji said,

when all peaceful means have been tried and exhausted it is righteous to pick up thy sword.

sry if i sed anything wrong

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Guest SikhForLife

please take them s1ngh and use em as u wish, no credit is needed to USS.. the people who made them are from other organizations...