Ragi Professor Has Youtube Copyrights

Mehtab Singh

The application of imaginary property (property you can't touch or feel) to Gurbani is somewhat problematic. We tolerate it as long as it's enforced within reason.

The abuse of copyright seems to make Thomas Jefferson's thinking (that if you don't want someone to copy your ideas, you should keep them to yourself) reasonable.

The fact is the Ragi didn't write the lyrics to the songs he sung. (Yes, I know they are shabads, but when you take the copyright perspective, as the Ragi has done, they just become songs, means to earn money.)

Then, the fact that the Ragi is afraid of people learning the truth that he used to sing the banis of the Dasam Granth through-and-through shows his pusillanimous character.

The restriction on sharing a few minutes of a shabad on Youtube is basically a restriction on free discussion. Think about it: If you wanted to discuss a book, you would obviously have to excerpt it in order to be able to present your opinion of it to your readers. If you want to discuss a event or a person, it is totally legitimate to quote it or him. In the multimedia age, that means multimedia quotes.

How ironic that the leaders of this so-called "reform movement" want to portray themselves as the harbingers of freedom and reason and the jathedars as irrational totalitarians. Yet look who is restricting free discussion!

That the Ragi is piggy-backing on the onerous copyright restrictions put in place by corporations who would restrict your right to read if they could is pathetic.

In my opinion it has nothing to do with shabads. The video that sacred them was Ragi Darshu's interview on JUS Punjabi Tv where he failed miserably to support his bukwas. That was the video they were attacking most and were taking it down repeatedly.

In my opinion it has nothing to do with shabads. The video that sacred them was Ragi Darshu's interview on JUS Punjabi Tv where he failed miserably to support his bukwas. That was the video they were attacking most and were taking it down repeatedly.

Well, the Ragi definitely has no copyright on that. In any case, you don't have to feel any moral doubt about copying videos.

According to US and possibly other laws, you are allowed to use excerpts of copyrighted works for the purpose of non-profit commentary and exposition under fair use provisions. Youtube is a US company.

Let me say this, now that it has become important ,

Gagandeep Singh Anand is the guy from Canada who is taking care of Darshan's websites, youtube channel and other media over the internet.

I am pretty sure he has mobilized the fake copyright complaints against all the videos, channels that are critical of Ragi.

ganand@uwaterloo.ca

gaganji@gmail.com

Those whose videos have been taken down by malice should write to him and make him aware of the repercussions of filing a fake complaint.

Please be sure to state to Youtube in your reply that:

Prof. Darshan Singh was just a participant on a show. He is not the copyright holder on the program.

Be sure to say "Prof." since he's using that name, and Youtube might think it's another Darshan Singh, and they don't know what a "Ragi" is.

Let me say this, now that it has become important ,

Gagandeep Singh Anand is the guy from Canada who is taking care of Darshan's websites, youtube channel and other media over the internet.

I am pretty sure he has mobilized the fake copyright complaints against all the videos, channels that are critical of Ragi.

ganand@uwaterloo.ca

gaganji@gmail.com

Those whose videos have been taken down by malice should write to him and make him aware of the repercussions of filing a fake complaint.

you are right .he is active and is his propaganda chief. please write to this guy.