Requirements Of Nationhood

AK-47

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh

Many of talk about our Nation (Sikh Nation) and some refer to it as the Panth as well. But I dont believe we (myself included) have a very good understanding of what this means and includes.

Recently in some posts some people have mentioned things to do with the calendar changes and how 'this was our one chance to become a seperate nation', or 'this would show that we are a seperate nation'. I think such comments are just short of being offensive to Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

Lets stop and think about the creation of the Khalsa, the Khalsa Nation. Guru Ji in HIS wisdom made the Khalsa totally unique. He gave them a unique way of life, a unique look, a unique Guru, a rehat maryada etc etc. Even in his gurbani Maharajh talks about creating a third and unique panth to stand seperate from the hindu and muslims. Guru Gobind Singh Ji did everything that was needed to create a seperate and distinguishable Sikh Nation.

When people say things as the above, that we need the calendar to be a seperate nation, is nonsense. Guru Maharajh gave us everything we needed! We dont appear to be a seperate nation or people get confused because we dont follow what Guru Ji has ordered. For example;

If we were to all take amrit and have full kesh and dastar'

If we were all to keep amritvela everyday'

If we were all to keep full Sikhi saroop and shastar'

If we were all to stand, live and die by the principles of Sikhi, defending the weak and fighting the oppressors,

If we were to do seva of the world and cloth the naked and feed the hungry

If we read gurbani, taught gurbani and did satkar of Guru Granth Sahib Ji

If we were to create a Khalsa Raj, a begumpura on earth.

etc etc etc

If WE DID these things which distingush us as a nation, then the whole world will say 'look there are the Sikhs, they are the great Khalsa Nation/Panth'. Nobody is going to say 'oh look there are the Sikhs with their seperare calendar!'.

It is because we dont do the above and other things that Guru Gobind Singh Ju told us to do, that we appear to outsiders to be Hindus/Muslims etc. When we are cutting our own kesh, then how can we argue when hindus say that we look like them. When we cut and fashion our beards, the muslims say the same. When we are seen as a 'nation' of alcoholics and ego crazy daughter murderers then will developing a new calendar change the world view on this?

In short what I am trying to get at is, our nations roots, identity etc were blessed to us by Guru Gobind Singh Ji. If today we wish to argue over calendars and other things, then please do not bring in 'seperate nation' arguements as I do not think they hold any value here. The Sikh Nation has always been seperate and unique, and that will remain the case whether or not we have a different calendar and date system.

Some will not agree and that is fine, but just ask yourselves what does a nation need to be identified as seperate? How many nation or nation states exisit around the world, how many are identified by a calendar? How many have their 'own' system and how many are actually involved in dealing with real issues rather then fighting over scraps. I would also be interested in what other people think are the requirements for a nation.

If things continue the way they are and we dont go back to basics with our Sikhi and do as the Guru said, then our Khalsa PANTH will shortly become Khalsa PANTHS.

Excellent post Veer-Ji. You get to the core issue's that most would choose to ignore.

I also contemplate whether the Khalsa nation/homeland was meant to be a metaphorical one or as well as a goegraphical one.. I read a thread a while ago about what the khalistan would encompass. Some of the suggestions/views made me laugh. Lets try to be good sikhs first and then worry about what our emblem/logo's/calendar's would look like. Besides, everyday is a shaheedi/prakash utsav for a gursikh. No 1 day is more or less special than another! Look around you - see him and his creation in all, everyone and everything. Akaaal Hi Akaaal! Tuhi, Tuhi, Tuhi, Tuhi, Tuhi, Tuhi, Tuhi, Tuhi, Tuhi, Tuhi, Tuhi.

Lets make a pranh and beg our guru sahib to show us the way to be united and help us to walk on the path that they outlined for us. TO UNITY! TO ONE NATION! TO THE KHALSAPANTH! Bole So Nihaal - Sat Sri Akaal!

Thank you brother, I would like to add that I am in full favour of the formation of Khalistan, however the issue of Identity of a nation and the development of a nation are two seperate things.

Our identity and our uniqueness was given by Guru Sahib.

The development of the Nation/Panth through various means is our seva that we should do for Guru Gobind Singh Jis panth. This may include establishing a state, imrpoving health and education, building a standing army/militia etc.

The point I was making is that in this time, so many problems are related to identity issues, these issues were dealt with by Maharajh. We are already unique, seperate or niaareh. We dont need to add things to that uniqueness, we need to go back to basics. Things like independance are not identity issues, they are self preservation issues.