How To Do Bhagti

Guest Harpreet Kaur

Guest Harpreet Kaur

WJK WJF,

I've searched on many websites but none tell me clearly how to do bhagti

firsrtly do you have to be amrit dhari to do bhagti? im not amrit dhari, but im trying to be on the straighter narrow :)

secondly how do you do bhagti!!

thank you

WJK WJF

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

There are 9 types of bhagti, but in Sikhi, the main ways of doing bhagti are through Sewa, Kirtan and Simran (including reading Gurbani). It should be driven out of love for Waheguru and a longing to meet Waheguru- i.e. Prema Bhagti. You don't have to be Amritdhari, in fact it's good to get into a routine before you receive Amrit, so it will be easier to maintain your discipline afterwards. The rewards are much greater after you take Amrit, and following Guru Ji's hukam is a form of bhagti itself.

There are many ways of doing Simran, and it can be done at any time but the best is at Amritvela (anytime from about 1215am to 6am - the earlier the better), straight after ishnan. You should keep a dedicated spot for it in your house if you can. Do Ardas before you start, ask for the gift of concentration and love for Guru Ji, ask Guru Ji to guide you. Some people also light a jyoth. Try to sit with your back straight, perpendicular to the ground and keep your body relaxed. You can do mool-mantar jaap (Ik Oankaar up to Nanak Hosi Bhi Sach) or Gurmantar (Waheguru), you can use a mala if you want. The links below explain different ways of doing it, parts 1 and 2 are audio links, they start off unclear but become clear after a few mins, please listen to them. After Simran, read the rest of your Nitnem before doing Ardas and carrying on with the day.

Simran Part 1

Simran Part 2

Bhagti is the same thing as meditation but the only reason is that in meditation a person can meditate on anything but the in bhagti a person meditate's on God's word. Bhagti is absolute devotion and continuous remembrance of God and Guru.

BHAGTI or BHAKTI: The word bhakti is derived from Sanskrit Bhaj, meaning to serve, honour, revere, love and adore.

Bhagti (pure devotion to Bhagwan) is expressed in nine ways.

First is Satsang or association with love-intoxicated devotees.

The second is to develop a taste for hearing Bhagwan's nectar-like stories.

The third is service to Guru.

Fourth is to sing Kirtan, chanting Bhagwan's bhajans.

Japa or repetition of my Holy name are the fifth expression.

To follow scriptural injunctions always, to practice control of the senses, nobility of character and selfless service, these are expressions of the sixth mode of bhagti.

Seeing Bhagwan manifested everywhere in this world, worshipping Bhagwan's saints more than self is the seventh mode of bhagti.

To find no fault with anyone and to be contented with one's lot is the eighth mode of bhagti.

Unreserved surrender with total faith is the ninth and highest stage.

There are 9 types of bhagti, but in Sikhi, the main ways of doing bhagti are through Sewa, Kirtan and Simran (including reading Gurbani). It should be driven out of love for Waheguru and a longing to meet Waheguru- i.e. Prema Bhagti. You don't have to be Amritdhari, in fact it's good to get into a routine before you receive Amrit, so it will be easier to maintain your discipline afterwards. The rewards are much greater after you take Amrit, and following Guru Ji's hukam is a form of bhagti itself.

There are many ways of doing Simran, and it can be done at any time but the best is at Amritvela (anytime from about 1215am to 6am - the earlier the better), straight after ishnan. You should keep a dedicated spot for it in your house if you can. Do Ardas before you start, ask for the gift of concentration and love for Guru Ji, ask Guru Ji to guide you. Some people also light a jyoth. Try to sit with your back straight, perpendicular to the ground and keep your body relaxed. You can do mool-mantar jaap (Ik Oankaar up to Nanak Hosi Bhi Sach) or Gurmantar (Waheguru), you can use a mala if you want. The links below explain different ways of doing it, parts 1 and 2 are audio links, they start off unclear but become clear after a few mins, please listen to them. After Simran, read the rest of your Nitnem before doing Ardas and carrying on with the day.

Simran Part 1

Simran Part 2

Thanks, that was very informative i done exactly that this morning just saying waheguru. Then i had to stop because i couldnt feel my arms and legs and the rest of my body for that matter. it was a really weird sensation, but it scared me.

Thanks so much though

WJK WJF

Simran Part 1

Simran Part 2

Thanks, that was very informative i done exactly that this morning just saying waheguru. Then i had to stop because i couldnt feel my arms and legs and the rest of my body for that matter. it was a really weird sensation, but it scared me.

Thanks so much though

WJK WJF

This is probably just due to poor blood circulation or perhaps low iron. Note that there does come this stage where a person totally loses all consciousness of the body and that's normal.

There's supposed to be an amazing katha on the 9 types of bhagti by Giani Kirpal Singh Boparai wale. IF anyone knows where to find it, I would definitely appreciate it.

yes, abhiyaas.blogspot.com is a really wonderful read although its really sad the singh/singhni who owns it hasnt updated for quite some time! :|

nahi veer, he has retired from writing the blog.

Without Naam - Final Article That was his final post. :| Know him too :)

I am unsure of Singhni miri piri though. :sad: