Sign in to follow this  
Guest dastara

Having Trouble Tying Dastar

My recommendation is don’t tie a pointy turban like a patiala shahi pagg. First of all cuz u will have the joora problem. But second of all because those types of turbans weren’t given to us by the gurus. The gol dastar or nihang dumala was given to us and it is the original Sikh turban. The patiala shahi pagg came from maharaja of patiala. They wore those turbans to show the oppressing British sarkar that they were there “friends” I find that as a sign of slavery. The British feared nihangs, and obviously feared their great dumala sahibs. So thas how there pointed turbans came

Guest Nihang Singh
On 6/3/2020 at 3:13 PM, akaaliKhalsa1699 said:

My recommendation is don’t tie a pointy turban like a patiala shahi pagg. First of all cuz u will have the joora problem. But second of all because those types of turbans weren’t given to us by the gurus. The gol dastar or nihang dumala was given to us and it is the original Sikh turban. The patiala shahi pagg came from maharaja of patiala. They wore those turbans to show the oppressing British sarkar that they were there “friends” I find that as a sign of slavery. The British feared nihangs, and obviously feared their great dumala sahibs. So thas how there pointed turbans came

This is not correct. Although dumalla and gol dastar are definitely traditional dastaars, Gurmukhi dastar (the simple triangle dastar like at harmandar sahib) is also traditional. 

Even the granthis at Sri hazoor sahib tie this dastar. Those in favour of puratan maryada always say that hazur sahib is uninfluenced by anything and they wear triangle Gurmukhi dastaars, so this statement that it's about being subservient to british is not correct. This dastar has been worn by many great Gurmukhi who are far from British influenced.

The other variations of triangle dastar are simply more "'fashionable" versions of gurmukhi dastar.