Shastar In India, Help Needed

Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa ,Waheguru Jee Ki Fateh to the beloved cyber-sangat,

Daas is going to be going India ( punjab ) and will be their for a good 2weeks, as it is a holiday i was wishing to "collect" and find on my travels some beautiful Puratan Shastars ( tulwara, tegha, katars,pesh kabz etc ) all of which are not fake morden 1s, or just a rip off price wise, the places i have been told to visit for such Shastar are:

Patiala

Rajastan

Fatehghar Sahib Jee

Harzoor Sahib Jee

and Anandphur Sahib Jee

can any of the sangat make it easier for me to find the specific/particular Pind/area or even a shop or person ( with contact details) to help me find such Shastars to buy.

And any tips on how to spot a fake or if to know if the person is charging too much.

Thanks for reading, Rab rakha

Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Jee Ki Fateh! :ph34r:

i said puratan shastar, no replicas , and even sothe price $500 for a replica is too much.

This day and age we like to keep shaster for the show !!!! We forget VaheGuru gave us the Knowledge of Shaster Vidiya for our protcetion and fight tyranny if you think $500.00 is too much for replicas (even though nihang singh from amritsars does make replicas they are of good quality) wait till u get prices for original puratan shasters. A handle for a Tega can be £500.00

So i suggest if u looking for shaster evaluate why u want to buy them if its to defend sikhi and others than theres no limit when it comes to money if its for show no point traveling to indias theres bare internet based shops

bhaisukhsingh - if you wish to waste all your hard earned money on over priced shastar ,then be my guest if u can afford it, 2nd u imply? :S "This day and age we like to keep shaster for the show !!!! We forget VaheGuru gave us the Knowledge of Shaster Vidiya for our protcetion and fight tyranny" if i wanted show i would buy CHEAP repilcas from amritsa the chrome blunt un balanced ones... so by this ur implying i have no knowledge of shastar vidiya or shastar in general ( price wise)?, just for your fact book i'v been learning the art for many years and all so have a decent selection puratan shastars myself, this was a topic just to help out a penji whos recently gotten in to sikhi and wanted some nice affordable shastar on her trip to india,not to rip her off of every penny shes worked hard for,

if you can't help the poster out by replying and stating any places, then why post at all?

( if u think am typing in anger then guess again lol ) :lol:

i said puratan shastar, no replicas , and even sothe price $500 for a replica is too much.

Sorry for posting Babbar_Singhsta. Just trying to be helpful, my apologies Singh.

They do stock puratan shastar though, hence I suggested contacting them. Your choice anyway mate...good luck on your search.

On another note, is there even such thing as a replica shastar? I would have thought shastar are shastar full stop. Although you can have fake puratan though.

bhaisukhsingh - if you wish to waste all your hard earned money on over priced shastar ,then be my guest if u can afford it, 2nd u imply? :S "This day and age we like to keep shaster for the show !!!! We forget VaheGuru gave us the Knowledge of Shaster Vidiya for our protcetion and fight tyranny" if i wanted show i would buy CHEAP repilcas from amritsa the chrome blunt un balanced ones... so by this ur implying i have no knowledge of shastar vidiya or shastar in general ( price wise)?, just for your fact book i'v been learning the art for many years and all so have a decent selection puratan shastars myself, this was a topic just to help out a penji whos recently gotten in to sikhi and wanted some nice affordable shastar on her trip to india,not to rip her off of every penny shes worked hard for,

if you can't help the poster out by replying and stating any places, then why post at all?

( if u think am typing in anger then guess again lol ) laugh.gif

if i offended u i appologize but think u proved my point. By ur last comment..............................................................................

Your gonna be hard pushed to find good shastar in Punjab, if your in Hazoor Sahib ask for a shastar dealer called Pappu, he has some shastar but they can be expensive. As long as the person going has knowledge of shastar they wont get ripped off. Main thing to look for is if the handle has been changed, or if the tulwar has been cut down to hide dings and damage, avoid anything with pitting and rust. Many times a new shastar is made and dug underground for a number of months to make it age and rust, and is then passed off as puratan. Hard to give advice on shastar without seeing them, have a look on some websites and get a feel for the price ranges of certain shastar/metals/materials and you will have an idea of how much each shastar could go up to.

Dont buy anything without being happy with it, and always try to haggle the price. If your happy payin that much, dont buy it. Some shastar will be of normal materials, but due to the rarity of the shastar (souson patta, jamdhari katar, saif, sirohi etc) the price will always be high. If your around there for a few days, have a look around all the dealers and then decide rather than impulse buying.

Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa ,Waheguru Jee Ki Fateh to the beloved cyber-sangat,

Daas is going to be going India ( punjab ) and will be their for a good 2weeks, as it is a holiday i was wishing to "collect" and find on my travels some beautiful Puratan Shastars ( tulwara, tegha, katars,pesh kabz etc ) all of which are not fake morden 1s, or just a rip off price wise, the places i have been told to visit for such Shastar are:

Patiala

Rajastan

Fatehghar Sahib Jee

Harzoor Sahib Jee

and Anandphur Sahib Jee

can any of the sangat make it easier for me to find the specific/particular Pind/area or even a shop or person ( with contact details) to help me find such Shastars to buy.

And any tips on how to spot a fake or if to know if the person is charging too much.

Thanks for reading, Rab rakha

Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Jee Ki Fateh! :ph34r:

Babbar_Singhsta,

I'am only trying to be helpful. If you are going to India for only 2 weeks, and just visiting Punjab, it is pointless of thinking of visiting Hazur sahib. Reason is it's in Nanded, Maharastra.You can take a plane from Chandigarh to Delhi to Mumbai to Aurangabad, then train to nanded. Depending on connections but that's pointless because it is slightly less travel time but for the stress it's not worth it. Plus it works out so much cheaper to go by train (you have you own a/c cabin and beds! plus food is served), you don't save much time off the 36 hour journey by train, instead off plane. But point is It is easily 1 week to go there and back. It only makes sense to go for a good few days and have a fulfilling yatra. So sorry but I don't think you will be able too vist Hazur Sahib, due to time restrictions.

Rajisthan, is not so far away depending on your location in Punjab. But it's still a mission. Patiala and Fatehgarh sahib, i'm not sure because that's in Malwa, don't have the pleasure off frequenting those places yet.

But if you are in India for vaisakhi I would recommend going to Anandpur Sahib, it will be a very special experience at that time of year, you've just missed out on hola moholla but anyway I think you will have a great variety of products at Anandpur sahib during Vaisakhi celebrations. Just due to the fact of the number of pilgarims visting and doing darshan. As that is the birth place and will be the birthday of the Khalsa.

I know I was not much help, but, hopefully there are 2 definetly 1 place your can discount - no?